Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM

129 posts, read 83,946 times

Advertisements

I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' (like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.

I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce type who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".
[Mod Edited for Language]
I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 12-21-2007 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Wow, I missed that story!

When did we bomb a children's hospital and powdered milk factory???? I didn't even know they had powdered milk in Iraq....

Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
I can certainly relate to the American citizen who is drafted and forced to go overseas in order to slaughter people against whom we have no legitimate beef. He/she has no choice but to go and is as much a victim as the innocents they are forced to kill.

But someone who voluntarily signs-up to commit atrocities in exchange for some crappy college-funding or to 'learn a trade' (like blowing people up -lots of demand for that in the private sector ya know!) is a loser in my books right off the bat.

I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce douchebag who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".

I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".
Well they respect you as a U.S. citizen and will fight anyone so you can continue to have the right to post about your hatred for them.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
So you're suggesting that the high school recruits who are fed a line about not going to war, and how if they'll fight it will be for *our* freedom are looking to be murderers? I think 99.9% of the people who join do it honorably, but once you are in, you have to follow the chain of command. Why is it their fault that the Commander in Chief decides to send them off to war (without Congress making a declaration) to fight someone else's battle?

I think it's nonsense to say that we can't question the motives of our wars because it's not supporting our troops, but it's equally disturbing to think that people feel our youth aren't misled when joining the military.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Please feel free to move to another country. That's me being nice, by the way.

Think I'll forward this shameful thread along to my cousin who is on his third tour in Iraq. He's a helicopter pilot for the Army. Doubtful he feels the same way as you--but then he, along with thousands of others through the years, have fought so you can say whatever you want without getting your hands cut off or worse.

Lucky you.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
Indeed, there's no respect for those who went along with the illegitamate neo-conservative aggression against Iraq. Then again I suppose one could show some sympathy to those individuals who are from a certain social background with no other choice.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:02 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
What a sad, sad commentary.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Wow! I didn't know we were over there just slaughtering "innocent" people. Last time I checked, its the chicken-zhit insurgents killing civilians.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:05 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,909 times
I would not say "we" if I were you. http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0331-02.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Wow, I missed that story!

When did we bomb a children's hospital and powdered milk factory????

Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Thumbs down WOW...bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Well they respect you as a U.S. citizen and will fight anyone so you can continue to have the right to post about your hatred for them.
TO SEAN McC:

i could say a lot about this sad post of yours but won't as folks like you aren't worth the time, but I will ask if you have ever heard about Loyalty to Country and Patriotism? Sad, sad post indeed, and those poor soldiers are fighting so YOU can make such posts...what an abuse of freedom.. This poster was kind to ylo but as a Veteran Army Officer who volunteered and fought to preserve even YOUR rights I am offended. Welcome to my block list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies