Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM

89,083 posts, read 44,917,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Those are the operative words..."your votes."

That means that those aren't YOUR votes...and therefore, none of your business.
While I fully realize that, why are the "younger and more educated" Blacks "fleeing" the consequences of those votes?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us....html?page=all

Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,483,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Again, read this: Want black votes, GOP? Listen to black voters - CNN.com

My point was, if you want Blacks to vote Republican, then perhaps Republicans should reach out to us, like they have with other groups.
Reach out to you for what? What do you want?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:21 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,888,920 times
Quote:
Again, read this: Want black votes, GOP? Listen to black voters - CNN.com

My point was, if you want Blacks to vote Republican, then perhaps Republicans should reach out to us, like they have with other groups.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. It may or may not be worth making policy platform changes when it comes time to decide whether to put the pedal to the metal on that or not, but the Republican party should do a better job of at least trying to listen to and understand the wants of the moderate and conservative sides of the African-American community.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
While I fully realize that, why are the "younger and more educated" Blacks "fleeing" the consequences of those votes?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us....html?page=all
Why don't you ask THEM? I'm not moving anywhere, and i haven't bothered to ask people who they voted for and why the move to where they're moving to.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
If you desire respect, earn it. Quit committing the most murders and violent crimes per ethnic group, stay in school and get at least a high school diploma, get your men to stay at home and help raise the kids they sire, quit looting stores and creating chaos and civil disorder when a disaster hits your city, etc., etc.
Loose your barbaric behavior and clean up your own squalor neighborhoods.
No. Tell that to the underclass that contributes to those problems. It is the underclass that commits murder, drops out of school, abandons children, loots stores, not the average Black person. You don't tell me not to do those things when I already don't do those things. You don't tell Blacks not to do those things when most of us aren't involved in such decrepit behavior. You tell the underclass who is involved to stop all of that.

And the very fact that you bring that up shows you aren't willing to address anything that I've said. Black folks like me and my family are holding it together. Black folks like desertdetroiter are not the ones contributing to those problems you bring up, so we are not the ones you should be telling. The fact that you look at me rather than the underclass persons involved only shows you assume all Blacks are like this. I'm not the one acting like a hood rat. Most of us aren't. Address the underclass about respect, not people like me.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Reach out to you for what? What do you want?
Read the article I posted and you'll find out. That is why I posted it. If you ignore it, all it shows is that you really aren't interested in hearing what many are trying to convey. All it really shows is a resentment towards Blacks.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 PM

89,083 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why don't you ask THEM?
No need. The younger and more educated Blacks are already voting with their feet:

"Increasingly blacks are moving to places with small black populations. Just 2 percent of the black population growth in the last decade occurred in counties that have traditionally been black population centers, while 20 percent has occurred in counties where only a tiny fraction of the population had been black."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 07-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
No. Tell that to the underclass that contributes to those problems. It is the underclass that commits murder, drops out of school, abandons children, loots stores, not the average Black person. You don't tell me not to do those things when I already don't do those things. You don't tell Blacks not to do those things when most of us aren't involved in such decrepit behavior. You tell the underclass who is involved to stop all of that.

And the very fact that you bring that up shows you aren't willing to address anything that I've said. Black folks like me and my family are holding it together. Black folks like desertdetroiter are not the ones contributing to those problems you bring up, so we are not the ones you should be telling. The fact that you look at me rather than the underclass persons involved only shows you assume all Blacks are like this.
You are BLACK. You are part of that ethnic group. I am WHITE. Statistics places me in that ethnic group. There are good and bad in both groupings but when statistics are produced for murders committed by ethnic groupings, both the good and the bad are included. It is a cultural thing that Black people need to change and they, as a people, will have to do the changing. It is a perceived perception people have concerning Blacks based upon statistical data and news events.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No need. The younger and more educated Blacks are already voting with their feet:

"Increasingly blacks are moving to places with small black populations. Just 2 percent of the black population growth in the last decade occurred in counties that have traditionally been black population centers, while 20 percent has occurred in counties where only a tiny fraction of the population had been black."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us...anted=all&_r=0
Another part of the article I read.

Quote:
Not everyone was well off. Katherine Curtis, assistant professor of sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, who specializes in demography and inequality, said blacks who returned to the states where they were born tended to have a higher poverty rate than those who went to other Southern states. One reason could be that they moved back for family, not economic opportunity, she said.
Quote:
Cicely Bland, 36, a publishing company owner who left her home in Jersey City in 2006 for Stockbridge, an Atlanta suburb, said life was better because it was more affordable. Her choice was as much about cultural affinity as it was job opportunities.
And I live in the Atlanta area. Some of these areas that had tiny Black populations are turning majority Black in many places. I live down here, so I know better. Blacks are moving down here because its cheaper.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Read the article I posted and you'll find out. That is why I posted it. If you ignore it, all it shows is that you really aren't interested in hearing what many are trying to convey. All it really shows is a resentment towards Blacks.
It's true, I must confess. I've heard the Blacks moan and complain and march and burn and loot and riot all my life. I'm disgusted with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies