Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
what????
Are you serious???
I happen to come out of domestic violence
once I got slammed because I said single people can adopt babies
oh yea that really was uncalled for!!! I got punched in the mouth while driving because the tires made a noise as I applied the gas peddle
oh sure that was reason enough!!! Men who hit women are like rapist it is about one thing POWER!!!!
I was also being talked to like I have no friends or he can kill me and get away with it
you get brainwashed over time
I lived in that hell for 7 years, his grandfather was county police chief
I finally did get out but it took years to get past the mental and emotional damage
what a stupid insensitive question
tell me are YOU an abuser?? do you think it justified to hit a women??
I will tell you this I would NEVER put up with it again because first time he would have a bullet in his head
I was married to a very physically abusive man for eleven years. I have zero tolerance for abuse - FROM ANYONE, including women.

Let me rephrase the question from "Can men hit women for just any ol' reason?" to "Is it EVER acceptable/understandable/OK for a man to use physical force to protect himself from a woman?"

What do you think?

Women are not always the victims of domestic violence. Sometimes men and children are the victims of women who are physically abusive. Do you realize that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:34 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Pardon my French but that is bullsh*t. I was a victim of domestic violence and I never taunted my ex-husband. He would push me for no reason, call me names, throw things at me for no reason. This whole "she made me do it" mentality is nothing but a cop out. Or maybe you probably think women like me deserve a "good beating" when we confront our spouses about going out to dinner with another woman behind our backs? Should I have just kept my mouth shut then and be a good wife? LOL He got "upset" and put his hands around my neck while I was driving. Poor guy! He was just "brokenhearted" that I caught him having an affair. Of course the choking was justified! I should have not said anything. He felt like I was taunting him! He had all the right in the world to see other women behind my back while I was at work making money and he didn't have a job. Should I call him to apologize for bringing the beating up on myself? Send him a gift? What do you suggest?

Abusers can absolutely control their actions. How about some personal responsibility here? He didn't get mad at other men when they pissed him off. He never beat anyone up but me. So many violent men are thought to be wonderful people to those who know them. "What? He killed her? There is now way. He was such a loving, caring husband!". How many times have you heard that in the news when a wife ends up dead and the husband gets arrested?

The abuser has a lot of self-control; more than people like you give them credit for. They can put on a facade and fool everyone around them. Beating your spouse up is about controlling them, intimidating them to the point where they no longer speak up and just feel like they are worthless. Because when you feel worthless, you are easily manipulated.

Do you go around beating up everyone who taunts you? Most people don't and they never would. Maybe the thought have crossed their minds but they know that is wrong. The abusers know this..but the difference here is that they don't care. They feel entitled to it.

I feel sorry for people who think differently. But it's okay...They just don't know better.

I totally agree I too am a survivor my husband was also a musician and was on the road everyone love him he was "so nice" he lived two lives the one they saw and the abuser I was terrified of

Old 07-27-2014, 12:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
some good excuses but in reality when you bust her mouth open your arguments that she had it comin and you had to do it, are nonsense
btw i have been assaulted many times by angry women.
too too too many people claim their attack was only a defense in some cases with real injury.
in foil fencing who initiates the attack determines the point made.
critial information.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was married to a very physically abusive man for eleven years. I have zero tolerance for abuse - FROM ANYONE, including women.

Let me rephrase the question from "Can men hit women for just any ol' reason?" to "Is it EVER acceptable/understandable/OK for a man to use physical force to protect himself from a woman?"

What do you think?

Women are not always the victims of domestic violence. Sometimes men and children are the victims of women who are physically abusive. Do you realize that?

it is true some women are and NO it is NOT okay but that was not the question if a women is an abuser then her ass needs to be locked up, period
one of my sisters has a rage problem I do not put up with that BS I block her from contacting me and do not call her I do not abuse and I will not be abused

Old 07-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I totally agree I too am a survivor my husband was also a musician and was on the road everyone love him he was "so nice" he lived two lives the one they saw and the abuser I was terrified of
My ex husband was also physically abusive and yet he's a career officer in the military - today he has several marriages behind him but is an active duty colonel in the US Army. He is a bully and a jerk and I honestly think he has a personality disorder. Like your exhusband (hopefully he's your ex) my ex husband had two faces - a lot like OJ Simpson did.

I'm objective and reasonable enough though to realize that there are some pretty awful, abusive women out there as well. Physical abuse isn't limited to male perpetrators - there are very violent, abusive women in this world, and like their male counterparts, they use emotional manipulation to try to control their mate. To make matters worse, they can count on the law, and society, to often turn it's head when they abuse their family members. Often their abuse (emotional and physical) is literally laughed off and the victim is ridiculed. I've seen it myself.

I think if a man is being physically attacked by a violent woman, he has the right to defend himself. There's a HUGE difference between defending oneself and beating up on someone, as any reasonable person should be able to determine.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:42 PM

if a woman is physically abusive then hitting her is not going to solve the problem
have her arrested
if you date her, leave her
if you are married to her leave her
if she is unwilling to get help but NO hitting just keeps the circle of violence going!!!
I finally left my husband it was hard because I was so terrified but I did it some women, children and pets do not make it out alive!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
it is true some women are and NO it is NOT okay but that was not the question if a women is an abuser then her ass needs to be locked up, period
one of my sisters has a rage problem I do not put up with that BS I block her from contacting me and do not call her I do not abuse and I will not be abused
Here was the question:

Quote:
Is there anything egregious a woman can do, that would make hitting her understandable?
I say that if anyone - male or female - is physically violent/abusive/attacking toward another person, the other person - male or female - has the absolute right to defend themself, and if that means knocking someone down, pushing them away, shoving them to the floor - so be it. Beating the crap out of them? Nyah, that's overkill.

Easy enough to figure out - don't attack anyone who's prepared to be more ruthless than you are. That's a good rule of thumb all the way around.

Any abuser - ANY abuser, male or female - abuses others because they feel they can get away with it. A woman who physically attacks her mate does it because she thinks she can get away with it, just as a male abuser does.

My poor son - he's 6'5" and very muscular without an ounce of body fat on him. When he was about 22, he had a very short term, but passionate and volatile relationship with a woman who basically was crazy, and very threatening verbally when she was crossed. And when he decided he wanted nothing to do with her, she really began threatening him with physical violence. He was actually afraid of her and he was afraid after he broke up with her that she would physically attack him somehow but he'd end up going to jail for defending himself. And you know what - I could see that happening. Her crazy behavior was one of the main reasons he packed up and MOVED five hours away.

And my son is a gentle giant - he would never raise his hand in anger against a woman or child.

So it goes both ways.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM

yes look at our society and the rich and famous ball players, singers, actors
they are protected by their fans IT IS DISPICIBLE
look at OJ Simpson he got off with double murder because he was black
but at least his ass is locked up now
if a women is coming at a man with a weapon and he can not get away of course he should defend himself
but the question here was not put that way

Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here was the question:

I say that if anyone - male or female - is physically violent/abusive/attacking toward another person, the other person - male or female - has the absolute right to defend themself, and if that means knocking someone down, pushing them away, shoving them to the floor - so be it. Beating the crap out of them? Nyah, that's overkill.

Easy enough to figure out - don't attack anyone who's prepared to be more ruthless than you are. That's a good rule of thumb all the way around.

Any abuser - ANY abuser, male or female - abuses others because they feel they can get away with it. A woman who physically attacks her mate does it because she thinks she can get away with it, just as a male abuser does.

My poor son - he's 6'5" and very muscular without an ounce of body fat on him. When he was about 22, he had a very short term, but passionate and volatile relationship with a woman who basically was crazy, and very threatening verbally when she was crossed. And when he decided he wanted nothing to do with her, she really began threatening him with physical violence. He was actually afraid of her and he was afraid after he broke up with her that she would physically attack him somehow but he'd end up going to jail for defending himself. And you know what - I could see that happening. Her crazy behavior was one of the main reasons he packed up and MOVED five hours away.

And my son is a gentle giant - he would never raise his hand in anger against a woman or child.

So it goes both ways.

yes too bad he could not get her arrested because people like that male OR female needs to be locked up

Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
if a woman is physically abusive then hitting her is not going to solve the problem
have her arrested
if you date her, leave her
if you are married to her leave her
if she is unwilling to get help but NO hitting just keeps the circle of violence going!!!
I finally left my husband it was hard because I was so terrified but I did it some women, children and pets do not make it out alive!!!
If a man is physically abusive then arguing with him is not going to solve the problem (nor his hitting him)
Have him arrested
If you date him, leave him
If you are married to him, leave him if he is unwilling to get help

Right? Except that we all know women (and men) who stay in abusive relationships for years...if people are emotionally healthy and strong, they don't GET INTO abusive relationships (not for long anyway), so the question isn't really a question of common sense. It's more a question of "Oh, ****, what do I do now?" five years, ten years into the relationship, often at 3 am after 24 hours or more of emotional abuse and manipulation (or for that matter 5 or 10 years of emotional abuse).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies