Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
There are all kinds of forms of domestic violence. Yes men are more physical but, (i do love you gals ok) No one can beat our sisters and gals in the mental or emotional abuse catagory.
Even if you are right, that will never--never--justify physical violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 07:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is there anything egregious a woman can do, that would make hitting her understandable?

There was that comedian who had that bit about how there's always a reason to hit a woman.
There might be a reason to throw her down the stairs.
BUT YOU JUST DON'T DO IT.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
If women want to be equals, then they shall be treated as such

Some women are stronger than men, and many men are weaker than women. But to think that it isn't a natural instinct to hit back is ridiculous.

If a woman starts beating on her bf, he is supposed to stand there and take it because she's just this innocent little creature who happens to be in a rage? LOL and if he hits back he's in the wrong? Okay lmao

Jacked up feminism logic

Apparently. Some folks need to preach to many women that they shouldn't put their hands on their husbands and boyfriends, only to act dumbfounded when he hits back or defends himself

And it's a woman's prerogative to remain in a relationship where she gets beat.

As I've said in the previous post, I'm a girl and I've witnessed domestic abuse.

But in this case in addressing how some women want to act like men, but can't handle the consequences.
There is abuse on both sides. Whoever is being abused it's time to get rid of the other or leave... forever and by law. I know a guy who's wife would hit him. If he didn't have the right upbringing he would have swung back and she would have landed on the moon. He divorced her ass. The same goes for a woman. Get him the hell out of your life. Isn't nothing worth being around someone like that for. Kids? So you would want kids to see that's how men or women are to be treated. Work around it.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
When I was 18 to 19 I had a jealous girlfriend who would strike me when she got mad enough.

She was 5'3, maybe 100-110 lbs (I was 6'4 200 lbs) but if one of her punches connected right it hurt like hell. I would usually push her away, try to block/deflect the punch but I never hit her back.

When I'd had enough it was a real b*tch getting her out of my life.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM

305 posts, read 655,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post

If you know he has an anger problem, don't make him angry and then proceed to taunt him verbally or physically.
You do realize that people with an anger problem don't need to be objectively taunted in order to explode, right? Hence the anger problem since most people get angry when they're obviously taunted.

It is impossible to not make someone with an anger problem angry over trivial matters.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:14 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Is there anything egregious a woman can do, that would make hitting her understandable?

Can we look at what happened before the attack? or is that irrelevant?

Please share with me.
Adultery?

Heat of passion? Works in murder charges.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
No. It is not acceptable to hit a woman, ever. Most guys outweigh us by 70 pounds or more. There are other ways of dealing with women without violence.
I think if a woman is physically violent toward someone else - be it a man, another woman, or a child - sometimes people have to fight back to protect themselves. This may mean getting physical.

I knew a guy who weighed 275 pounds and who's ex wife had been very physically violent toward him - even hitting him over the head with a bottle at one point. He had been raised to never lift a finger against a woman. Several times he had to literally run from the house to get away from her. Now - would slapping her or physically restraining her solved the issue? Probably not, but I found it sad that people often thought his plight was actually funny (the image of this big, burly man literally running for his life from "the little woman") but if a woman had been the one running, everyone would have thought she was a precious little saint and would have wanted the book thrown at him.

I don't apply a double standard to my life. Neither my husband nor I are physically violent, to each other or anyone else, but I have a feeling that if I took it upon myself to slap or hit him, I just might find myself on the floor in an undignified position. And I'd deserve it.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This has nothing to do with "equality" because women will never be "equal" to men in brute strength. You are merely giving men permission to beat up on women for any behavior that they might perceive as "taunting." Which for some men might be as simple as disagreeing with them or threatening their authority or not having dinner on the table quickly enough.

I sincerely hope you never have any daughters. You will teach them to take a beating as their just due for doing anything that might "anger their man."

The correct answer is that it is never okay for a man to hit a woman. I raised both my son and my daughter to know this. The only exception is if there is a real threat to life.

Period.
Interesting.

I raised three sons and two daughters. I know full well that women can be BRUTAL in the verbal abuse category. Men can be too, but women often have very sharp verbal skills.

I taught my kids that NO form of abuse is acceptable - emotional or physical. I also taught them not to tolerate that from anyone else. And finally, I taught them how to defend themselves - to use force as a last resort and to do all they can to DISARM the situation and/or other person but not to be intimidated into submission by either emotional or physical threats.

I raised my boys to be gentlemen and I've never seen the slightest hint of violence toward women in any of them. However, one of my boys did go out with a woman who, after a few dates, began to display hints that she could be physically violent. He actually came to me and told me that he felt a little afraid of her temper and I encouraged him to break things off with her - which he did, to his credit. But if she had physically attacked him, I would have expected him to defend himself, physically if necessary. She doesn't get a pass just because she's a woman, any more than a man would get a pass on emotional abuse just because he wasn't beating up on "his woman."

If anyone - ANYONE - resorts to physical violence, they shouldn't expect someone else to practice more restraint than they are.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:39 AM

2,962 posts, read 3,532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting.

I raised three sons and two daughters. I know full well that women can be BRUTAL in the verbal abuse category. Men can be too, but women often have very sharp verbal skills.

I taught my kids that NO form of abuse is acceptable - emotional or physical. I also taught them not to tolerate that from anyone else. And finally, I taught them how to defend themselves - to use force as a last resort and to do all they can to DISARM the situation and/or other person but not to be intimidated into submission by either emotional or physical threats.

I raised my boys to be gentlemen and I've never seen the slightest hint of violence toward women in any of them. However, one of my boys did go out with a woman who, after a few dates, began to display hints that she could be physically violent. He actually came to me and told me that he felt a little afraid of her temper and I encouraged him to break things off with her - which he did, to his credit. But if she had physically attacked him, I would have expected him to defend himself, physically if necessary. She doesn't get a pass just because she's a woman, any more than a man would get a pass on emotional abuse just because he wasn't beating up on "his woman."

If anyone - ANYONE - resorts to physical violence, they shouldn't expect someone else to practice more restraint than they are.
I agree Kathryn

Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
You do realize that people with an anger problem don't need to be objectively taunted in order to explode, right? Hence the anger problem since most people get angry when they're obviously taunted.

It is impossible to not make someone with an anger problem angry over trivial matters.
And at that point, the "victim" can leave the partner who has issues dealing with anger or sadness. Perhaps they need to re-evaluate their lives and seek therapy of some sort

I never said it is a healthy response or outlet

That said, defending yourself is a bit different than purposely going out of your way to best the crap out of somebody.

I just don't think it's fair to expect a guy to take it solely because a certain special little snowflake is oh so weak yet shows signs of needing help with anger management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies