Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:46 AM

28 posts, read 19,040 times

Advertisements

So what if he is doing political punditry in the name of religion? That's his right. Leftists do political punditry in the name of their secular (religiously secular) beliefs.

MLK jr. did political punditry in the name of religion as well, would complain about him doing it? Or is it only when religious punditry doesn't jibe with your positions when it's wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I believe ANY church that crosses the line and gets involved in swaying their congregation politically, Hagee does this all the time, should lose their tax exempt status because they crossed the line, if the Government cannot interfere in Church affairs the same knife cuts the other direction, simple as that.
If my minister did it I would get up and leave the Church and never return.
What about black churches? They do it all the time, and never get called on it. Just look at this article from the Washington Post. Nothing in there about losing tax exempt status over mixing politics and religion.

Black church leaders try to inspire congregants to vote for Obama - The Washington Post

Old 08-08-2014, 08:54 AM

An example of Political punditry in the name of religion:

" I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.”

Created by who? Oh, God? Freaking Theocrat.

“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

And from a freaking preacher, you just know that his views of right and wrong were based on scripture. RELIGIOUS DOGMA! Flithy Preacher getting involved in politics. Oh, the humanity!

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals.”

Just look at that, justifying his putting of his religious values into the political debate, because religion is about wisdom and values. What a crock. Freaking Theocrat.

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.”

Good Grief, Spirits! The loon is talking about spirits, in a debate on public policy!

“Not only will we have to repent for the sins of bad people; but we also will have to repent for the appalling silence of good people.”

Sins? On my God, the Preacher is preaching about sins. Like that has any place in politics.

“Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.”

God. Again, with the God crap.

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”

Spirits again. What a whack job.

“I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality”

Right. HIs political opponents are going to hell.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.”

That was from a political speech. Can you believe it? Can you imagine how excluded an atheist who heard that would feel? To think that this preacher effected changes in the law based on his religious based morals and beliefs.

It is a crime.

Do you think those laws should be ruled unconstitutional , and his day taken away?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
On the one hand while I did not listen to the full video's I heard nothing that would run afoul of IRS rules. On the other, I heard very little in the way of biblical teachings.

So while I would not sic the IRS on him I wouldn't be attending his church either.
I've seen Hagee on television a few times, and there is no way I would attend his church. All he talks about is the End Times. The guy is a nutter.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Nunya View Post
An example of Political punditry in the name of religion:

" I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.â€

Created by who? Oh, God? Freaking Theocrat.

“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.â€

And from a freaking preacher, you just know that his views of right and wrong were based on scripture. RELIGIOUS DOGMA! Flithy Preacher getting involved in politics. Oh, the humanity!

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals.â€

Just look at that, justifying his putting of his religious values into the political debate, because religion is about wisdom and values. What a crock. Freaking Theocrat.

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.â€

Good Grief, Spirits! The loon is talking about spirits, in a debate on public policy!

“Not only will we have to repent for the sins of bad people; but we also will have to repent for the appalling silence of good people.â€

Sins? On my God, the Preacher is preaching about sins. Like that has any place in politics.

“Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last.â€

God. Again, with the God crap.

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.â€

Spirits again. What a whack job.

“I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in a period of moral crisis, maintain their neutralityâ€

Right. HIs political opponents are going to hell.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.â€

That was from a political speech. Can you believe it? Can you imagine how excluded an atheist who heard that would feel? To think that this preacher effected changes in the law based on his religious based morals and beliefs.

It is a crime.

Do you think those laws should be ruled unconstitutional , and his day taken away?
This just reminds me of how powerful a speaker Martin Luther King was. To think, they try to compare Obama's speeches to MLK's. One brings me to tears while the other puts me to sleep.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
This just reminds me of how powerful a speaker Martin Luther King was. To think, they try to compare Obama's speeches to MLK's. One brings me to tears while the other puts me to sleep.
That's why I hope Ben Carson runs...he has some of the same qualities as King did. We might actually have an honorable man in the white house in my lifetime, other than Reagan.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I've seen Hagee on television a few times, and there is no way I would attend his church. All he talks about is the End Times. The guy is a nutter.
It's his right either way. People thought my old pastor, Ken Hutcherson(RIP) was a nut too. Mostly because he was good friends with Rush Limbaugh & was black.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This guy is smart. He knows how to appeal to those with these viewpoints to get tithes.
Yes, he knows his bible and he knows how to preach, as does his son, but the political activism is a major turn-off.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, he knows his bible and he knows how to preach, as does his son, but the political activism is a major turn-off.
Why?

Old 08-08-2014, 09:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Nunya View Post
Why?
Because when you promote politics, it is nearly impossible to stay honest, and I see a lot of pastors who talk politics, and end up venturing in the land of misrepresentation, and dishonesty. I'll bet many of them simply don't have the time to do fact-checking, and instead they repeat something they heard in the media, and end up passing propaganda. If you have not checked your facts, then you are gossiping. The role of a pastor is to teach the word of God, and to prepare the members of the congregation to serve the Lord. Political activism does not belong in the church. On top of that, it tends to divide God's people, which is the opposite of what you want in a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies