Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 05:04 AM

604 posts, read 934,914 times

Advertisements

For several weeks I've visited this forum and have occasionally contributed. At first I thought perhaps there might be some serious, informed discussion of political issues. I've come to realize that is generally not the case.

Most of the threads are full of flame throwing, name calling, ill informed contributions. There seems no positive goal of trying to further a conversation to perhaps reach a common goal. The threads, generally speaking, seem to go nowhere.

This could be a great forum if only it could attract contributors that are curious enough to go beyond the simple rhetoric so pervasive in a culture driven by division and distaste for other possibilities. Perhaps it is nothing more than a reflection of our current political leadership. At one time I posed the question which now seems more relevant after reviewing content here; can't we do better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 05:07 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
You cannot have a political discussion with people who deal in emotion.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:37 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
For several weeks I've visited this forum and have occasionally contributed. At first I thought perhaps there might be some serious, informed discussion of political issues. I've come to realize that is generally not the case.

Most of the threads are full of flame throwing, name calling, ill informed contributions. There seems no positive goal of trying to further a conversation to perhaps reach a common goal. The threads, generally speaking, seem to go nowhere.

This could be a great forum if only it could attract contributors that are curious enough to go beyond the simple rhetoric so pervasive in a culture driven by division and distaste for other possibilities. Perhaps it is nothing more than a reflection of our current political leadership. At one time I posed the question which now seems more relevant after reviewing content here; can't we do better?

I utterly agree. I first came upon City-Data while googling for data about a small town we were thinking of moving to. As time went on I would come back to CD and look at various topics until I came upon the political topic one (this).

Occasionally a person will provide some very interesting insight into a political or controversial situation.

More rarely, a person will begin a new thread in which he or she will provide their own actual thoughts about something, without recourse to 'copy/paste' from some outside source. I truly appreciate those posters. Even if I disagree with their position or their thought process, I will usually 'rep' them just for uttering their own thoughts.

Otherwise, CD has become simply an 'entertainment' stop for me. I will look in during my work day or on weekends, simply to see the various silly threads posted by idle people (you know, the ones who will post, on this one website alone, thousands of posts each year, even up to 10,000 posts per year, all the while decrying those whom they view as 'lazy', etc).

Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
People think a forum is a place to have conversations towards a common goal? Really? You think whatever you say here will solve any real world problem? I think that thinking is silly, but you are right, the threads do eventually lead to nowhere. There is a lot of insight directly and indirectly, if you don't see it, then perhaps you aren't trying to look which would put you in the group where they keep repeating themselves with their ideological rhetoric... Have I changed my mind on topics? Yes and if you didn't, then perhaps you are more ingrained in your belief structure and are part of the problem. CD will always have its following by mindless threads and useless posts like any forum in the internet. I wouldn't be so "elitist" to condemn others of the same. A log in the eye and splinter yadda yadda yadda....

Old 08-08-2014, 05:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Real Political Discussion

As you've seen, few come here to truly discuss politics. Most are here to fight and cheerlead for their side, w/o resorting to the political realities of the day. On the whole, it's a humorless but still entertaining and revealing forum.

It continually reinforces my assertion that for some people, their ignorance is their most prized possession and they'll fight like hell to hold onto it.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As you've seen, few come here to truly discuss politics. Most are here to fight and cheerlead for their side, w/o resorting to the political realities of the day. On the whole, it's a humorless but still entertaining and revealing forum.

It continually reinforces my assertion that for some people, their ignorance is their most prized possession and they'll fight like hell to hold onto it.
Ironically, posts like this are the problems...

Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
politics bring out very passionate people with very strong views most of the time. Actually I have been here for ages and I see both: yes, a lot of flaming, a lot of misunderstanding but I have learned a few things as well. I believe it is an outlet for many frustrations. There are a few on here that are so close minded it is a waste of time to even respond to their posts, most do contribute in some way or another.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:08 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Ironically, posts like this are the problems...
How is that post any different than yours above it?
Both are saying the same thing.

Talk about the log...

Edited to add:

I've been staying away lately. There is just too much hate being voiced here. I don't need it in my life.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

Hell, look at Washington. Those people get paid to be professional in their politics and they behave like children.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You cannot have a political discussion with people who deal in emotion.
That is exactly the problem. We all know which party "feels" and doesn't think critically. Situational relativism runs rampant with them, and they rarely think through the negative unintended consequences of what they advocate even though there are many examples of such over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies