Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,409,393 times

Advertisements

The thread about "coal rolling" made me think of this article from the Chicago Tribune:

Behold, the drunk uncle-ization of America - Chicago Tribune

Basically, the article makes the case that we need to stop listening to the "loudest and stupidest voices" and letting the people toting around rifles at Target and protesting buses of refugee children define us. It's making America look like a laughing stock to the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,971,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The thread about "coal rolling" made me think of this article from the Chicago Tribune:

Behold, the drunk uncle-ization of America - Chicago Tribune

Basically, the article makes the case that we need to stop listening to the "loudest and stupidest voices" and letting the people toting around rifles at Target and protesting buses of refugee children define us. It's making America look like a laughing stock to the rest of the world.
I agree, it is way past time to stop allowing the tail to wag the dog, when are the majority going to start making it uncomfortable to be a nutjob in public, we accept the behavior and then wonder why the world looks at us as if we are all nuts.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM

991 posts, read 1,112,490 times
Absolutely true...but you know what they say: "the masses are asses"...

Old 08-12-2014, 08:09 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,409,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree, it is way past time to stop allowing the tail to wag the dog, when are the majority going to start making it uncomfortable to be a nutjob in public, we accept the behavior and then wonder why the world looks at us as if we are all nuts.
I agree. Maybe it's time to start confronting some of these people, record it with your smart phone, etc.

"Hey...good to see a fellow Target shopper. You going out hunting deer right after this? I didn't know they were in season yet. You expecting any Al-Qaeda to show up here today?"

Just start asking questions and see what kind of reaction you get.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,740,707 times
MASEMAN your comments are evidence you are part of the problem.
Quote:
letting the people toting around rifles at Target and protesting buses of refugee children define us. It's making America look like a laughing stock to the rest of the world.
You only mention the guntoting loonies yelling at immigrant children yet the article clearly presents evidence that this mentality is part of the problem:

Quote:
There were more than 80 people shot in Chicago over the holiday weekend. The world sees that, and it also sees the images of gun-toting Texans carrying rifles into fast-food restaurants to make an obstinate point.
We have politicians and pundits openly dismissing scientists as witch doctors while ignoring even the most basic arguments against pollution, and rebellious anti-environmental citizens "rolling coal," a trend where diesel trucks are rigged to spew black smoke.
Reasonable Americans — that is to say, most of us — favor sensible gun laws, care about the environment, would like to see our immigration system reformed and generally steer clear of yelling at busloads of children.
But Fox News highlights the "patriotic" immigration protesters, knowing its viewers will eat it up. Then MSNBC highlights the same protesters because it feeds the network's desire to misrepresent all conservatives as kooky. Then blogs and social media follow suit and, before long, America is the drunk uncle.
It really has to stop. And it seems the first step is admitting that we have a problem.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:17 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,740,707 times
Quote:
I agree. Maybe it's time to start confronting some of these people, record it with your smart phone, etc.

"Hey...good to see a fellow Target shopper. You going out hunting deer right after this? I didn't know they were in season yet. You expecting any Al-Qaeda to show up here today?"

Yes you sound just like the reasonable person the author states we need more of...

You have done nothing but rip people with certain views apart to incite people who follow your ideology.

You have devoloved the entire premise of this thread into nothing but hypocrisy.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,978,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree. But, hey, it's "political correctness" to be against white supremacism right-wing nutjobery.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,427,782 times
The village idiot always got attention. Its just now that your village idiot, and my village idiot can now talk to one another online and meet up. This then makes news, more then one village idiot in one place, holy crap. Everyone watches.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:14 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,394,505 times
Quote:

A real hunter would not likely be buying in Target.

Be real carful about deer season......here in Michigan there are MANY different seasons.

It just could be the early youth hunt.

The being said.....I would LOVE to see you confront my husband about anything.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:16 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,394,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Yes you sound just like the reasonable person the author states we need more of...

You have done nothing but rip people with certain views apart to incite people who follow your ideology.

You have devoloved the entire premise of this thread into nothing but hypocrisy.
Just a keyboard warrior......nothing to see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies