Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does The Militarization Of The Police Concern you
Yes 122 80.79%
No 28 18.54%
Don't Care 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,967,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I never said we need to be imprisoning more people. In fact, my career is keeping young offenders out of prison and advocating for more effective approaches, so your assumption is incorrect. The police don't ride around in riot gear at all times. They bring those out in situations where a community is under threat from unrest including (or possibly including) multiple people or people likely to be dangerous. In those situations, they don't know what they're going to be confronted with, so I have no problem with them being prepared. The premise that they are "militarized" in everyday situations with nonviolent offenders is simply false.
My problem is not exactly the use of the military equipment but the expense. Why are we spending BILLIONS every year on things Police are not trained on using and our streets are not suitable for? Members of the military have pointed out many times that Police Officers are escalating the violence by wrecklessly aiming their guns at protestors. MRAP's serve no purpose in American cities and Cops posing on top with guns drawn defeats the armored vehicle's entire purpose.

If they expect more unrest due to financial chaos than our Government should be honest about the stability and integrity of our financial system and work on rotting out the corruption and helping Americans.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-20-2014 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,607,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
My problem is not exactly the use of the military equipment but the expense. Why are we spending Billions on things Police are not trained on using and our streets are not suitable for? The military has pointed out many times that Police Officers are escalating the violence by wrecklessly aiming their guns at protestors. MRAP's serve no purpose in American cities and Cops posing on top with guns drawn defeats it's entire purpose.
I understand the question about the expense. I'm sure there are times when things are used very well, I don't doubt that. I think at times there is a show of force which can be helpful. I haven't seen any statements from the military, not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen them.

Quote:
If they expect more unrest due to financial chaos than our Government should be honest about the stability and integrity of our financial system and work on rotting out the corruption and helping Americans.
That's fine but it mixes the responsibility of federal and local government. I don't think the federal government does much to ease the situation, but the local government can't force their hand, they just have to respond to whatever is presented to them in the moment.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM

28,976 posts, read 30,361,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/statu...999425/photo/1

This is not a police state. The idea that our local police have become paramilitary forces is appalling. From a legislation stand point-- What can and should be done?

I think this is something most conservatives and liberals can agree on.
No it is not, appauling and I am not a conservative....
but I will tell you this, police are out there getting killed constantly...by sophisticated criminals high on dope or alchohol, and they do not get paid enough to put their lives on the line.

Now I suggest, if you are appauled by this, then you've been in trouble with the law.

I want any police officer, out there protecting me, putting his/her life on the line, getting next to nothing for pay....to be as proteced as they possibly can be.

You have no idea what scum of the earth police officers deal withi every day, if you did, you wouldn't have posted such a ridiculous cop hater thread.

I hope they are militarily trained, whats more is, they should have the same training as navy seals...or the elite fighting groups of this country.

I'm sick and tired of reading how young cops are not only being killed every day, but also being framed by thugs, robbers and murderers....its time things change and police be armed with the most sophisticated equipment on God's green earth so they can protect themselves against animals.

They are spit on, and worse every single day....

Yes, there are bad cops, but there are more bad criminals, and more good cops then bad criminals....

This is nothing but a pathetic outcry for people to hate cops thru scare tactics....

Yanno what, if you obey the law, you won't have a problem, period.

Oh and the reason why we need military trained cops with equipment, is b/c the criminals have much more sophisticated weapons....that is why

Tell you what, I think every cop should have this training, especially with all the illegals coming into this country....
oh, and kids are becoming much more violent, look at those kids they caught in CA who wanted to take out lives in that school?

I don't understand what is wrong with the mentality of this world today....I really don't.

Pathetic....

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
2e1m5a
Violent crime is the lowest it has been in decades yet our for-profit Prisons continue to be stuffed to the brim with non-violent offenders. Prison Corporations even bribe politicians for stricter laws and longer minimum sentencing. We are turning peaceful people into violent people with our non-sensical drug laws and it is a viscious and perpetual cycle that only grows and grows. Sadly it seems most are aware and choose to look the other way or don't care because the majority of those effected are poor and minorities.
that statement alone is false, Crime is certainly not the lowest in the country, it's much much worse then it ever was....and I'm talking violent crime....I have no idea where your getting your information, however, I do know and any cop knows, that the specific area that they live in, well, lets just say, they do not report how violent the crimes are nor do they report all the crimes, not nearly!

And I know that for a fact! Every single day, there is at least 1-3 shootings in Philly! Now, lets factor in Chicago and New York, LA, ATLANTA, and many other larger cites....where crime is rampid...

Yanno, this is the very thing that really disgusts me, it's how uninformed Americans are, and yet, everyone seems to know it all....why is that?

As I said before, if you do not back the very officers that are defending you and protecting you in this country, then somewhere along the line, you've been in trouble with the law.

Oh, and it's a proven fact, and there were actual reports about the mayor of Philly that hid crimes from the public to get people/tourists to come back to Philly, and yet, it is one of the most corrupt cities...with crimes you cannot even begin to imagine.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
that statement alone is false, Crime is certainly not the lowest in the country, it's much much worse then it ever was....and I'm talking violent crime....I have no idea where your getting your information, however, I do know and any cop knows, that the specific area that they live in, well, lets just say, they do not report how violent the crimes are nor do they report all the crimes, not nearly!

And I know that for a fact! Every single day, there is at least 1-3 shootings in Philly! Now, lets factor in Chicago and New York, LA, ATLANTA, and many other larger cites....where crime is rampid...

Yanno, this is the very thing that really disgusts me, it's how uninformed Americans are, and yet, everyone seems to know it all....why is that?

As I said before, if you do not back the very officers that are defending you and protecting you in this country, then somewhere along the line, you've been in trouble with the law.

Oh, and it's a proven fact, and there were actual reports about the mayor of Philly that hid crimes from the public to get people/tourists to come back to Philly, and yet, it is one of the most corrupt cities...with crimes you cannot even begin to imagine.

Actually yes, violent crime is the lowest it has been in decades-not the lowest it has ever been but we are trending toward less violence. Please don't tell me I have no idea what I am talking about when you don't even present facts to support your made up argument. NYC had thousands of murders per year in the early 1990's. I guess you don't remember the Government fueled crack-epidemic and the non-sensical drug laws that ripped apart families and destroyed communities.

Police enforce unjust laws and until that changes there will always be injustice in our system and Cops will not be properly respected.

From US Department of Justice

Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yep-and even more alarming are our fellow Americans that seem to think Public Peace Officers acting like an occupied military force is necessary or even legal. They want to just keep on arming these mentally unstable Officers with tanks, hollow point bullets and automatic weapons even when violent crime is at its lowest point in decades and our nation and people bankrupt.

I don't know anyone that thinks like that personally but a few seem to be posting on here....

Perhaps we should stop arresting and imprisoning people for possessing a plant before we turn into a complete Orwellian Police-State.

excuse me, my son, is NOT MENTALLY unstable, and neither are any of the police officers I have met, it is unwise, and unintelligent to generalize, and I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't and so would a lot of other folks....

I love ice tea, but that doesn't say everyone else is the same or feels the same.

Where in the world do you get your information, what police officers have tanks in this country?
Who used hollow point bullets in this country....? You watch way to many movies.
If anyone is using hollow point bullets, it is the criminals, as a matter of fact I remember seeing a report on that....

And you talk about bankrupt? What about all the illegal immigrants who are coming to this country and dealing drugs.? All those immigrants to go to the hospitals and never pay their bills and bankrupt the hospitals? What about all those illegals who are criminals....?

When you are arguing a point on here, it is essential you do not generalize anything or anyone, b/c no one thinks or feels exactly alike. Period!

Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Actually yes, violent crime is the lowest it has been in decades-not the lowest it has ever been but we are trending toward less violence. Please don't tell me I have no idea what I am talking about when you don't even present facts to support your made up argument. NYC had thousands of murders per year in the early 1990's. I guess you don't remember the Government fueled crack-epidemic and the non-sensical drug laws that ripped apart families and destroyed communities.

Police enforce unjust laws and until that changes there will always be injustice in our system and Cops will not be properly respected.

From US Department of Justice

yes, and that is crap you get off the internet, which is untrue, you talk to any police officer who is doing the job...not what the communities report, every single community in the U.S. Talk to them and come back and tell me again...but anything you want to argue is on the internet, pros and cons.

I mean, it, talk to any police officer you see and ask them.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I understand the question about the expense. I'm sure there are times when things are used very well, I don't doubt that. I think at times there is a show of force which can be helpful. I haven't seen any statements from the military, not saying they don't exist, I just haven't seen them.

That's fine but it mixes the responsibility of federal and local government. I don't think the federal government does much to ease the situation, but the local government can't force their hand, they just have to respond to whatever is presented to them in the moment.
Oh but social science is being militarized.
Just because the military didn't come out with a press conference doesn't mean it isn't happening.

The recent Facebook experiment is one example.

The Minerva Research Initiative was launched in 2008 and gets continued annual funding.

DHS is the one that funded all those grants for the anti-terrorist gear.
All that gear is to defend the US against terrorist invasions.
That goes back to the Patriot Act.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, and that is crap you get off the internet, which is untrue, you talk to any police officer who is doing the job...not what the communities report, every single community in the U.S. Talk to them and come back and tell me again...but anything you want to argue is on the internet, pros and cons.

I mean, it, talk to any police officer you see and ask them.
I do talk to Police Officers-and I'm not saying every Cop is bad because I also have family members in the force-Boston and Philadelphia. They are just trying to earn a paycheck in a position that is supposed to be nobel but our laws are unjust and military equipment is being given to small local police forces at an alarming rate.

Nearly every Cop I have spoken to in Philly on the subject is against our Federal drug laws and feel they would be able to do their jobs a lot more effectively if marijuana were legalized.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I do talk to Police Officers-and I'm not saying every Cop is bad because I also have family members in the force-Boston and Philadelphia. They are just trying to earn a paycheck in a position that is supposed to be nobel but our laws are unjust and military equipment is being given to small local police forces at an alarming rate.

Nearly every Cop I have spoken to in Philly on the subject is against our Federal drug laws and feel they would be able to do their jobs a lot more effectively if marijuana were legalized.
Oh Please....at an alarming rate....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies