Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM

672 posts, read 789,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
This is what I read. I saw the pics of the video of the robbery and it looks like Brown and that is why the cop stopped to apprehend Brown, so Brown was not simply "walking down the street minding his business", he was a suspect in a robbery that just took place.

Of course there is a lack of released evidence about the altercation, but someone wanted for robbery and assault, it is not far fetched they would try to assault the cop trying to apprehend, so the cop resorted to deadly force.
You read this where? Can you link the article, because I can find nothing by googling.

Never mind, I see now the links.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I am not concerned with what the legal definition is if he were being tried for a crime. I realize that is the context most people view black people in, but for families, grown men and women, adults - he was just a kid.
He was a man both in the legal and societal sense.

I understand that this younger generation is the most coddled in history, but that doesn't change him into a 'kid'.

Quote:
Who says it is being ignored?
Due to a lack of 'outrage' by the black community, I do.

Quote:
Why is it white police are more likely to kill black person in situations like this where the person is unarmed?
There could be many reasons.

It could be a cultural thing where in some neighborhoods if you back down from the police, you may be considered a coward.

It could deal with the sheer numbers. You have a police force that is majority white and an over-represented number of black people interacting with police.

Quote:
When young black "men" are gunned down in the streets and you see mothers crying on TV over the loss, then yeah it can get emotional. We understand that people like you feel above it all because it doesn't matter to you. We take it personal because it is us.
And I also see "Snitches get stitches" and a code of "we'll take care of it".

It matters to me; however, when the black community only seems to get upset when the dead person is white and the shooter is black, well, situations like this will get a little less sympathy.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
Yes, I was raised right. But you can save your kudos. I, along with millions of other black children, was raised in an area that people like to point to and say the irresponsible trash that is all over this post. Police DO NOT serve and protect in these areas. The police are NOT your friend. The police DON'T CARE if you're a good student or nice person living in poor circumstances. They see you as the BLACK child that you are, they understand that this country criminalizes you and doesn't give a damn about you, and they treat you as such. They WILL harass you. They WILL harm you. Even if the boy had been disrespectful, disrespect is not a crime. However, it is when some lowly cop with a hard on for being in a position of power gets involved.

People of other races do not understand this dynamic. They rationalize and rationalize without absorbing the fact that this RACISM is ingrained in our society and especially our criminal justice system. These types of events happen over and over again and regardless of the poor reaction happening in MO right now, something does need to change. It's not just black people, this happens to Hispanic people and others also.

No one will care until it's an unarmed white teen and rest assured that it will one day be an unarmed white teen. When that happens, will it be okay to sweep it under the rug? How many of them should we let them kill before it's okay? What picture will the media use then?

The constant degradation of the victims because of their race is disgusting. But what's even more disgusting is the ignorance of the public. Many majority people seem to be ignoring the police state that we're becoming because it was just some "smart mouth, black thug". But it wasn't. It was just a teen being disrespectful as teens of all races are at times. But again, that's not illegal and should not result in death by the very people meant to protect you.
It does happen, its just no one cares. People look at the story and go "oh, he was avoiding police, he got what he deserved." This happens in all " races." I use the term race loosely because there are many mixed couples in my city. You would be absolutely horrified the high turn over rate police departments have and the reasons. The worst IA report i read wss a cop had a woman strip naked on thr side of the freeway because he smelled marajuana. Absolutely insane. But watch for someone here to comment that she deserved it. Lol.....

Cowboys and enminem types are idolized in the "white" community but they make me uneasy and untrustworhty. Also known as steeler fans ... ha,burn and off topic.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
He was a man both in the legal and societal sense.

I understand that this younger generation is the most coddled in history, but that doesn't change him into a 'kid'.
You do not determine the rules for society and communities everywhere.

Quote:
Due to a lack of 'outrage' by the black community, I do.
What and how much "outrage" do you need to see for you to be content? How can this be brought to your doorstep everyday to satisfy you? This is your chance to prove that you are really curious and want to be a part of something, or that you are just a bigot entrenched in his ideals and nothing more. My city has high levels of black on black crime. I see the outrage from upstanding black community and church leaders all the time. I see mothers, brothers, dads, uncles, aunts, grandparents crying on TV begging for the violence to stop. Are those just fun and games to you? Not serious or "outraged" enough? Do you want me to forward you links? DO you want to fly down here and we'll go on prayer walks and vigils and talk to people and community leaders> I can't make Bill O'Reilly talk about it on his show. I can't make the national news carry the story. He's just like you. He believes we are apathetic to black on black crime. I call him and you liars because you just don't want to see that is not true because it doesn't support the narrative that black people only get upset when white people do bad things to us an that we are perfectly happy and content with being killed by one another.

Quote:
There could be many reasons.

It could be a cultural thing where in some neighborhoods if you back down from the police, you may be considered a coward.

It could deal with the sheer numbers. You have a police force that is majority white and an over-represented number of black people interacting with police.
I don't get what that means. Backing down from a man with a gun when you are unarmed is not being a coward, it is being smart. It is more likely that the cop started the altercation and it escalated. Until we know more, I just can't fill in the blanks like you do. For you it is crystal clear. Black kid attacked. Black kid is guilty of previous crime. Black kid tried to kill white cop. Case closed. A great social experiment would be a white community with mostly a black police force, but that doesn't exist as far as I know.

Quote:
And I also see "Snitches get stitches" and a code of "we'll take care of it".
I see stuff like that in movies and stuff, but when I was growing up - my friends and I knew better.

Quote:
It matters to me; however, when the black community only seems to get upset when the dead person is white and the shooter is black, well, situations like this will get a little less sympathy.
Because that's a lie, plain and simple. And you don't want to believe otherwise.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:08 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah... doesn't change the story what so ever. The officer still felt threatened when the man ran straight at him and ignored all warnings to stop. A woman had called 911 on the man thinking he was trying to break into her house. The officer didn't know if the man had a gun or a knife or what his intentions were. He acted out of fear for his own life. How is that cold blooded murder? The man was an idiot for rushing a police officer in the middle of the night. Who does that?
I'm with you most of the way. Where I loose you, is somewhere between the 4th and 12th bullet. At some point there stopped being a threat and started to being intent to kill.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times

Police will reportedly be releasing the full video later today.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Awwww he was a "gentle giant"! When he was shoving that store clerk around while stealing merchandise.

Ferguson police say Michael Brown fit description of strong-arm robbery suspect | Fox News

Old 08-15-2014, 09:14 AM

329 posts, read 387,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

Police will reportedly be releasing the full video later today.
Gentle.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:17 AM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Awwww he was a "gentle giant"! When he was shoving that store clerk around while stealing merchandise.

Ferguson police say Michael Brown fit description of strong-arm robbery suspect | Fox News

If he is the person in the pictures, in the video, did he deserve to die? Did he need to be shot in the back while running away, or several times after he had put his hands in the air? Sure, it changes the narrative, but it doesn't change the outcome, or the need for answers.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Cooler heads need to prevail before anyone else gets hurt or killed. People are tearing up their own neighborhood, and others, and for what. This is just an excuse for those that want to riot and loot to riot and loot. And yes, I don't agree with the police becoming like the military. That is happening with increasing frequency across the country and it is troubling. If one needs to call out the national guard, then call out the national guard, and the military if necessary to preserve order. That said I am NOT throwing the burden of this on the police. As I find out more and more about this I am begining to see that this didn't just happen in a vacuum, that it appears that there was a very definite reason to stop and detain the unfortunately deceased individual. Still this whole thing needs not to be decided or tried by the media or the radical leftists who would probably love to see it errupt into a full scale race war, but by a well-informed, impartial jury/panel of peers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies