Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM

373 posts, read 778,904 times

Advertisements

OP:
I like the point you are making in that poverty is color blind.
It is not uncommon for media to focus on African American and Hispanic as the face of the poor.
I believe at one point recently, possibly may still be the case, there were more poor white people than any other race.
Not by percentage, just total numbers.
There are currently millions of poor white people.

The answer really is the same for all races for all generations.
Poverty certainly does not discriminate.

The same economic concepts that made individuals, governments and nations successful thousands of years ago apply today.
- Having a job.
- Living below your means.
- Saving money.
- Educating oneself on investing and investing wisely.
- Taking care of your health
- Planning and preparing for the future.
- Conservative spending.

Equally, the same economic concepts that make individuals, governments and nations poor thousands of years ago apply today.
- Not having a job
- Having a job but being lazy or just not really caring about the effort one puts into it.
- Living above your means.
- Not saving money.
- Not educating oneself on investing and thus making foolish investments.
- Not taking good care of yourself health wise.
- Not planning at all for the future.
- Liberal spending.

When it comes to economics, there are defined reasons why things happen.
Unfortunately, in todays time specifically, we have a serious leadership problem in our elected government. Even more alarming, we have a worse problem with the citizens of this democracy not seeing what is clearly visible right on front of them.

Metaphorically speaking, the ship is headed straight for the rocks.
No one, however, seems to really think the worst will happen, like it will just all work itself out.
So, no one is attempting to right the ship.
Everyday we get closer and closer to financial disaster.
A disaster that will happen should the ship not change course.
In the process, many hard working and good people have lost their jobs at no fault of their own.

No nation in the history of the world has been immune from the consequences of willful stupidity.
Nations, and many of them, have fallen for much less than the financial decisions our current government makes. The real question is, when will American citizens wise up to what is going on and make the necessary changes within themselves and at the voting polls to change the course of this ship?

Old 08-16-2014, 09:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What's with the racism? What's with separating people by color? What difference does a persons color make?
Cop shoots citizen....crickets

White cop shoots black citizen in swing state.....riots

That difference.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Check, check, check, check, check, check, check.

Didn't work for me.
Obviously you're not right-wing enough, then. As we all know, every right-winger on C-D here is a successful businessperson raking in at least 6 figures a year. Only libruls are poor losers

Old 08-17-2014, 05:19 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I lived a great deal of my life in Appalachia. The ARC (Appalachian Regional Commission) has pumped more money and resources into this region than any other aid organization in the US which has netted close to nothing. The fact of the matter is that most people that live in poverty in this region go back generations in such conditions- when their kin sold off their mineral and timber rights to corporate concerns. They became defacto slaves to the resource owners.

As a result they have nothing. Maybe the promise of a job logging or mining coal or working at the C-Store. The smart move away and seldom come home and the rest stay there due to kin. There is a very strong sense of kin.

Most 'poor whites' associate themselves with the Scots-Irish, of which I am descended. A very powerful book by the former Sen. Jim Webb illustrates in great detail the history of us 'rednecks'. We are poor, tied to kin and ferociously against any government intrusion, even though we sold our rights to prosperity so many generations ago.

Poverty in most of 'white America' is a descendant of this phenomena. We cling to our liberty regardless of social standing and choose to ignore the state that we are accustomed to living in even though we were railroaded a long time ago. An earlier post I made about 'guns' rings true- politicians have an easy time with our 'ilk' by creating wedge issues that don't exist- "Elect that guy and he'll take your guns away! or Elect him and the coal industry is dead!"

So we cling to guns, beer, prescription drugs and for some- family and a few jobs left in the fields our fathers and grandfathers worked in.

I would say that breaking that cycle is a lot harder than it seems. Politicians have done no favors, business has done no favors, and the ARC- however well intentioned, only paved the way to further hell. I lived in it for a long time. I speak from my experience and my upbringing.
Powerful post. I spent 3 years in rural eastern kentucky working at a small University. I witnessed it first hand.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Cop shoots citizen....crickets

White cop shoots black citizen in swing state.....riots

That difference.
Black cop shoots unarmed white citizen.... oh wait, that NEVER happens.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:37 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Stop racial quotas, for on'e thing. There are more poor whites than any other demographic, but because they're white they don't get the treatment minorities get. Stop it with this immoral double standard.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCityGuy View Post
Your original question is just race baiting. We need to stop that as a country - it's no good for anyone.
It isn't race baiting..

There are 22 million poor whites in this country.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Stop racial quotas, for on'e thing. There are more poor whites than any other demographic, but because they're white they don't get the treatment minorities get. Stop it with this immoral double standard.
Actually.... they do get similar treatment but it isnt working. The poor in urban areas have access to transportation and minimum wage jobs. Rural whites don't have that luxury.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCityGuy View Post
How many poor Asians are there? And why must you separate is by race? We need to do something about our income inequality and impoverished population would have world just fine if you weren't race baiting.
The Asian poor are another population that is being ignored. I'm focusing on whites because there are 22 million of them.

So, you dont have any solutions, just anger over the thread title?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The invisible minorites... the poor white Americans. 22 million!

Any solutions or do they not exist because the focus is always on blacks and hispanics?

These people need your help, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Well, you stand up straight with hand offered in greeting and say "Hello" .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies