Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Nice rhetoric, but he could say anything and his audience would be jumping up and down and applauding like a bunch of trained seals.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
whats the saying? "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while"

Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
whats the saying? "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while"
Broken clock is right twice a day?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:52 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
More FUD. That's a 3rd hand report. Show the source and quote where the attorney says they committed a robbery - not a 3rd hand media report.
You can discount this if you wish, but I did see Johnson's attorney interviewed on CNN where he did say his client told police and the FBI that Brown stole the cigars. When I'm not on an iPad, I'll try to find the interview.

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He was a teenager. Are any of your teenagers angels? No, then why demonize this teen. Why must black kids be perfect in order not to be killed?

[MOD CUT/off topic]
They don't have to be perfect. But it does help if they don't steal, assault innocent people, attack cops, try to take their duty weapons and then charge them. Guess what...a white person that did those same things would be just as dead.

It's just that MOST white people aren't that STUPID. Of course, neither are the vast majority of black people. Darwinism is a b.

Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Broken clock is right twice a day?
that may be too much credit

Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why in the name of all that is holy is everyone so fixated on robbery/non-robbery???

The only events that actually matter is an apparent attempt to arrest, a struggle between Brown and the policeman, Brown attempting to run away and the officer gunning down Michael Brown. The officer needs to justify his use of deadly force. By any measure, the officer's use of deadly force was absolutely over-the-top. Shooting somebody six times "in self defense"??

When this whole story was just breaking, I repeatedly said I'd wait for footage from camera in the police car or on the officer's chest. Many police departments require them. Ferguson doesn't. That leaves us with a whole lot of he said/she said. It really comes down to the witnesses at this point. If their versions are as convoluted and conflicting as I keep hearing about, the officer can claim just about anything he wants and he walk away.

If nothing else good comes of it, at least this should pressure any police departments who do not currently have cameras to get them ASAP. They protect the public from bad cops and they protect good cops from false accusations.
There's more than just the witness accounts. There will be substantial forensic evidence as well that, by law, the DA is not allowed to release publicly yet.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
‘You’ve Lost Where You Come From!’: Al Sharpton Has Harsh Words for the Black Community During Michael Brown’s Funeral | Video | TheBlaze.com

I'm speechless. Sharpton said so much that I agree with. Its weird and I don't know what to do now. And it wasn't just what I quote here, but other things.
I'd love to stay and chat about this one but the four Horsemen of the apocalypse are at the door asking to borrow a cup of sulfer.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:07 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
More FUD. That's a 3rd hand report. Show the source and quote where the attorney says they committed a robbery - not a 3rd hand media report.
“In an interview with msnbc shortly after the report was released, Johnson’s lawyer confirmed that Brown had taken cigars from the store.

We see that there’s tape, that they claim they got a tape that shows there was some sort of strong-armed robbery,” said Freeman Bosley, Johnson’s attorney. “We need to see that tape, my client did tell us and told the FBI that they went into the store. He told FBI that [Brown] did take cigarillos. He told that to the DOJ and the St. Louis County Police.”

Police: Michael Brown stopped because he blocked traffic | MSNBC

That's from your very own MSNBC. You can go track down the interview if it's important.

Notice, it is BROWN, not Johnson or 'they' who did the robbery.

Despite robbing the store and jaywalking, Brown did not 'deserve to die' for those offenses, and didn't die because of them.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I think you guys are wrong. Regardless of what the video shows. . .a Robbery by law requires that something must be taken without consent.

If the "victim" decides not to press charges, the prosecution can not proceed on Robbery. . So therefore he can't be convicted of robbery.

Maybe a lesser charge (crime against the state, theft) could be charged - but I don't see it happening.

For all we know, and without the owner of the store being subpoena. They argued over the price, it got heated, but the guy left with an accommodation.

Wonder why people just love to jump to conclusions on really flimsy evidence.

I for one won't be calling anyone a thief or a robber unless their is some sort of judicial conclusion as such.
You are dead wrong. Too much tv for you.

Sometimes we have what is called an "unwilling victim" in a robbery.

Quote:
A prosecutor also can decide to pursue a case even if the victim tells the police or the prosecutor that he does not want to press charges. Television and Hollywood movies sometimes create the impression that the victim decides whether to press charges and, therefore, whether the offender will be subject to criminal prosecution. This is not accurate.

The prosecutor has the power to demand that the victim testify by issuing a subpoena to appear at trial. If the person ignores the subpoena and does not appear or refuses to testify, the judge can issue a bench warrant (like an arrest warrant), hold the victim in contempt and put the person in jail.

With the power of a subpoena, the prosecutor usually can compel attendance and testimony, but the value of a reluctant or hostile witness is debatable. The victim might change his testimony at the last minute and claim that he was mistaken or lied previously because he was angry. A skilful and manipulative victim might be able to convince the jury or judge that she was mistaken at the scene or that the police misunderstood her. If a victim is angry and hostile, his attitude might affect the jury’s belief in the case.
How to Press Criminal Charges Against Someone | Criminal Law

The authorities were called to the scene. A report was filed. The report referenced the incident as a felony 2nd degree strong arm robbery.

In order to make this determination police would have to interview the victim. Why? Strong arm robbery requires force or the use of force on the victim. You must ask the victim if the perp used force or the threat of force against him.

The victim can recant if he wants. Too late. Authorities were lawfully on the scene and lawfully collected evidence (the tape).

All this is really quite obtuse on your part anyway. How the clerk legally pursues this matter is directly impacted by the shooting and death of the perp just minutes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies