Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am far from a conspiracy theorist and I've made many posts calling out the conspiracy theorists on our forum. With that being said, I see far too much potential for nefarious uses by government and others. I don't think any benefits outweigh this potential.
I agree with you. Conspiracy theorists drive me nuts, but this is one thing I wouldn't do by choice. It'll be sold as having so many benefits, but I think the potential (and likely) misuse and even abuse of such chips would faaaar outweigh them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 05:36 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Is there a microchip implant in your future? | Fox News

This article tries very hard to paint a rosy picture of a society of people with microchips implanted under their skin while just briefly touching upon any potential downfalls. It predicts that this type of technology will be commonplace within the next decade. The article notes that these chips are already used to manage farm animals, so why not people too? Sound good? I'm curious to see what people think about this.
This is Fox News. They're probably trying to make people fear powerful government more. There's no way in heck microchips will be commonplace in society in the next forty years...and probably about 99% of Americans will despise the idea.

We fear big government more than any other civilized nation here, remember? and nobody in Europe is doing it yet...or at least not enough to be noticeable. Maybe one in like, thirty (at most) journalists and military persons will agree to it.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
many people are acting like animals. not farm animals more like wolves. chip them and the billion dollar criminal system will disappear. 19% of americans are felons.
Large gov types like yourself may disgree, but Id rather we stop making felons out of the non-violent.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I am far from a conspiracy theorist and I've made many posts calling out the conspiracy theorists on our forum. With that being said, I see far too much potential for nefarious uses by government and others. I don't think any benefits outweigh this potential.
i have to agree. we already have smart phones, and tablets that can act as smart phones, what do we need a chip installed for? while it might be nice to access the internet while walking down the street, or call a friend, or what ever, there is far too much downside of the government intruding in your thoughts, and being able to track you where ever you go even if you disable your cell phone completely.

just because we have a technology, and can do a thing, does not mean we should use that technology or do that thing.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:44 PM

260 posts, read 195,153 times
No matter who anyone is, no matter their place in society, microchips (and a lot more) are a destined fact of our future.

Medical implants are being tested as we speak and are slated for market introduction within the next two years. They will monitor vitals and some can even dispense pharmaceuticals. They can be permanent like a pacemaker and relay information via wi-fi, even given new operational parameters.

And you can bet there will be others too akin to ankle bracelets that report positions thru GPS. Others that will monitor dopamine or other significant signs of stress, happiness, etc. We are a few steps toward being wired ourselves with mainstream acceptance (if not clamor) for these sorts of devices perhaps a decade away.

How long till these things will be used to dispense chemical lobotomies? Or at least enough dope to keep one chipper and subservient? How long till we have hackers and dealers dealing with these devices?

Oh, surveillance is but one aspect sure. There are more ominous others though that makes this particular technology terrifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
There's no way in heck microchips will be commonplace in society in the next forty years...and probably about 99% of Americans will despise the idea.
The very same thing was said about cell phones and the personal computer twenty years ago, now look around us! These things will be made a necessity.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:46 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Large gov types like yourself may disgree, but Id rather we stop making felons out of the non-violent.
Exactly-a lot of the people acting like animals are banksters, CEOs, politicians and their minions.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
i never met a felon who thought he was one.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:03 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntBoo View Post
No matter who anyone is, no matter their place in society, microchips (and a lot more) are a destined fact of our future.

Medical implants are being tested as we speak and are slated for market introduction within the next two years. They will monitor vitals and some can even dispense pharmaceuticals. They can be permanent like a pacemaker and relay information via wi-fi, even given new operational parameters.

And you can bet there will be others too akin to ankle bracelets that report positions thru GPS. Others that will monitor dopamine or other significant signs of stress, happiness, etc. We are a few steps toward being wired ourselves with mainstream acceptance (if not clamor) for these sorts of devices perhaps a decade away.

How long till these things will be used to dispense chemical lobotomies? Or at least enough dope to keep one chipper and subservient? How long till we have hackers and dealers dealing with these devices?

Oh, surveillance is but one aspect sure. There are more ominous others though that makes this particular technology terrifying.

The very same thing was said about cell phones and the personal computer twenty years ago, now look around us! These things will be made a necessity.
Your statement in bold explains why they will be so unpopular...although I'm not sure that's possible or ever will be, and it probably won't be. Now...why is it that you think they will become popular? I'm confused. Nobody's going to want a permanent device that can track their movements except for maybe like five journalists wandering into some sufficiently war-torn hellhole. We have cell phones if we get lost. Our crime rate isn't high enough for everyone to constantly worry about being abducted. Maybe a few billionaires would have them too.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
LOL, this is America, all the goDvernment has to do is give everyone that gets one an ipad or some such nonsense and the sheep will be lined up from one end of the country to the other to be inserted into the matrix....

Old 08-30-2014, 06:23 PM

260 posts, read 195,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Your statement in bold explains why they will be so unpopular...although I'm not sure that's possible or ever will be, and it probably won't be. Now...why is it that you think they will become popular? I'm confused. Nobody's going to want a permanent device that can track their movements except for maybe like five journalists wandering into some sufficiently war-torn hellhole. We have cell phones if we get lost. Our crime rate isn't high enough for everyone to constantly worry about being abducted. Maybe a few billionaires would have them too.
Respectfully, you greatly underestimate the gullibility of most people. Personally, I see these devices will be made popular thru medical reasons. Who wouldn't want to be monitored if cancerous activity is discovered early enough? Or a heart attack is found to be imminent, a stroke? Oh, be certain that once the door is opened there will be a rush to be vigilant against one's own will and body!

And how many would say no if they could have something happy introduced into their system when they feel a little down? GPS reporting is nothing compared to other uses. This will be the first step to augmentation, too. More brain capacity, stronger muscles- all the usual desires. We aren't that far off from that being reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies