Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should black Americans have their own country?
Yes, that's a great idea 34 33.66%
No, are you crazy? 67 66.34%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,969,353 times

Advertisements

Do you think black people in America would be better off if they had their own country where they could make their own laws and not be oppressed by whites? Obviously it probably wouldn't be physically continguous, but what if the parts of the US that were say more than 80 percent black became sovereign nations? Living in "Afroamerica" would be totally optional of course, and white people would be allowed to live there as long as they recognized their privilege and didn't participate in politics or run for office.

Like the Indian Reservations there would be free travel into and out of Afroamerica and large areas of corporate owned Midwestern and Southern farmland would be part of the new country since obviously they couldn't thrive with just urban areas alone. Unlike the Indian reservations though Afroamerica would be fully sovereign and would have a seat in the UN.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Would "they" be better off? Seems like a racist statement. I think any group of people would be better off if they got out from under the thumb of the godvernment. So sure, why not. But so too would those "white people" and any other group that freed themselves from the tentacles of the Collectivist State.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Americans of black African descent have more than earned their citizenship. I think we'd all be better off if other Americans would simply recognize that fact. Separate is not equal.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:37 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
What purpose would it serve? If the current government is inefficient as looking at race and examine and solving it's links to things like poverty, why would a different government be able to do a better job? And if said government can exist, why not just elect those who are capable into the current one?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Would "they" be better off? Seems like a racist statement. I think any group of people would be better off if they got out from under the thumb of the godvernment. So sure, why not. But so too would those "white people" and any other group that freed themselves from the tentacles of the Collectivist State.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Americans of black African descent have more than earned their citizenship. I think we'd all be better off if other Americans would simply recognize that fact. Separate is not equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
What purpose would it serve? If the current government is inefficient as looking at race and examine and solving it's links to things like poverty, why would a different government be able to do a better job? And if said government can exist, why not just elect those who are capable into the current one?
all good points.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,615 times
Why not? As long as it isn't in the United States. Or, they could quit whining, stay in school and get an education, and compete in the marketplace like most people.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Do you think black people in America would be better off if they had their own country where they could make their own laws and not be oppressed by whites? Obviously it probably wouldn't be physically continguous, but what if the parts of the US that were say more than 80 percent black became sovereign nations? Living in "Afroamerica" would be totally optional of course, and white people would be allowed to live there as long as they recognized their privilege and didn't participate in politics or run for office.

Like the Indian Reservations there would be free travel into and out of Afroamerica and large areas of corporate owned Midwestern and Southern farmland would be part of the new country since obviously they couldn't thrive with just urban areas alone. Unlike the Indian reservations though Afroamerica would be fully sovereign and would have a seat in the UN.
Black Americans do have their own country, it's called America!!!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:48 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Why not? As long as it isn't in the United States. Or, they could quit whining, stay in school and get an education, and compete in the marketplace like most people.
So... be boring?

If people's life goals are simply to 'compete in the market' then I have to agree with those who say the public school system is a failure. I don't consider doing what everyone else does to be success.

As for quit whining... yeah, that's a good one. Well, if you're gonna whine, create a concrete goal and a way to achieve it. Whine proactively. That goes for everyone though. From my personal experience, white people have been far more guilty of just complaining than any other group I have ever seen.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:49 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Just reading the title of this thread I knew it was going to trigger racist responses... On a personal note as a Black American I'm willing to wage that my education level and position in the "marketplace" is competitive against most other people at my career level and expertise.

That said, America belongs to all Americans. Not just conservatives with a chip on their shoulders. People with an ax to grind should handle themselves appropriately when addressing their grievances ...

Old 08-30-2014, 07:56 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,836,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post

There already are places in this country which are 80% (and more) black!
They are not under white oppression and already follow their own laws which I would call The law of survival!

Instead of whining about white oppression .. why not 'bus in' whitey to those Afrocentric Hoods so that some form of civility can pull those cesspools out of the cr@pper?

btw: Afro/Americans .. as they are wont to call themselves leads me to believe that they already have a place to go!

Want a ticket?
Too: As C-D's self appointed Uncle Tom, I like being right where I am.
(A mixed race, upper middle class, law abiding neighborhood in middle America)

Well maybe Not in the Middle of America but .. you get the gist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies