Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should black Americans have their own country?
Yes, that's a great idea 34 33.66%
No, are you crazy? 67 66.34%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It's obvious to me that you don't have a clear understanding of what self determination is. You don't seem to think that Black people have full control of their own destinies, yet you claim that Black people have self determination. Can you not see the contradiction?

The resources that are available in White areas exist because of the people that live there. Black areas tend to lack "resources" such as good schools, access to jobs, healthy foods and so on because of the poor environment created by the inhabitants of those areas.

And if White conservative oppression is such a force in Black lives, then Black people should be making it their goal to get away from Whites, not integrating with them.
I have a complete understanding of the subject being discussed. Before I even asked you to substantiate your claims I knew you weren’t going to. I never made the claim that Black Americans have full self determination over every aspect of their lives. But do you know what? White Americans don’t have a full self determination over their lives neither. The USA isn’t homogenous so if you’re looking for absolutes in this country you’re going to be sorely disappointed my friend [figure of speech & not an indication we are really friends].

On to your next point about resources! Name the resources are “available” due to your whiteness? Good schools are based on available tax revenue not whiteness. Access to jobs are based off of startup capital not whiteness. Now on to your statement about the “poor environment” created by the inhabitants [of black areas]! To understand this aspect you need to understand poverty and the history of poverty in America. Go ahead and let me know what your understanding is here so I’m not wasting my breath.

And the last point of this post that I’m addressing is your statement about white conservative oppression. So answer me this, why should we move away from our homes because Billy the racist red neck doesn’t what a black person as a neighbor?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Do you think black people in America would be better off if they had their own country where they could make their own laws and not be oppressed by whites?
They aren't oppressed by whites. It isn't 1950 anymore.
Quote:
Obviously it probably wouldn't be physically continguous, but what if the parts of the US that were say more than 80 percent black became sovereign nations? Living in "Afroamerica" would be totally optional of course, and white people would be allowed to live there as long as they recognized their privilege and didn't participate in politics or run for office.
In other words you want to set up a new apartheid nation with the blacks on top and the whites on bottom. Great plan.
Quote:
Like the Indian Reservations there would be free travel into and out of Afroamerica and large areas of corporate owned Midwestern and Southern farmland would be part of the new country since obviously they couldn't thrive with just urban areas alone. Unlike the Indian reservations though Afroamerica would be fully sovereign and would have a seat in the UN.
We already did this. It's called Liberia. Look it up sometime.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They aren't oppressed by whites. It isn't 1950 anymore.

In other words you want to set up a new apartheid nation with the blacks on top and the whites on bottom. Great plan.

We already did this. It's called Liberia. Look it up sometime.
So you're basically admitting here that whites are on top in America?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Would you rather have all Blacks go back to Africa? Would that be your dream come true?
No, I would prefer to stay where I am.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:11 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
That's interesting. I admittedly haven't been looking at ancient cultures for quite sometime. This is an interesting find.

However, I really can't say there's much relevance to the issue, which was probably the case to being with anyway. Indigenous Americans, be it of Asian decent or European decent, did not exist in nation states. Even the elaborate empires of South and central America weren't exactly nationalistic the way kingdoms in Europe were. The only similarity is the concept of hierarchy, but the way authority worked is exceptionally different (this of course only applies to Native Americans of Asian decent as obviously the knowledge of Europeans Ancient Americas is quite limited).

Would the Asian Americans be wrong for killing off (assuming that's what happened) the European Indigenous Americans? Arguably yes, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really the same as the genocide of Native Americans that occurred during colonization and western expansion. That was systematic and, more or less, government funded. Once could argue that the fight between the two different races of Indigenous Americans was nothing more than natural selection. Those that had Asian heritage had strength in numbers. Even if they weren't literally being attacked and killed, food would have been harder for the white Native Americans to secure, which isn't technically morally wrong (though an argument could be made that it is).

Bottom line, as far as who the land is supposed to belong to really isn't the issue anymore. Saying the land should be mostly owned Native Americans of Asian decent wouldn't be incorrect historically speaking (as it appears, based on the article you provided, there is no sign that ancient Europeans expanded very far west and were mostly contained to the east coast), but the land was seized by European American. Rather or not it was justified is not longer a helpful fact; it just was. We can recognize that moral problem in systematically killing the indigenous population, but it doesn't have much relevance to who owns what anymore. If you were born in America in the last 400 years, the land is just as much yours as it is anyone else who was born here.

Which ties back in to this issue: black people having their own country is inconsistent with how everything else we've handled works. If a white person is born in an area that is mostly black, the white person shouldn't be expected to leave. Same thing if the roles are reversed. If we want racial tension to become non-existent, we need to spend less time focusing on race and more time focusing on problems that face society at large.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Would you rather have all Blacks go back to Africa? Would that be your dream come true?
How many African/Americans do you know that came from Africa?

I don't know any myself.

I know some Haitians from Haiti and they are free to return.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 PM

15,527 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Do you think black people in America would be better off if they had their own country where they could make their own laws and not be oppressed by whites? Obviously it probably wouldn't be physically continguous, but what if the parts of the US that were say more than 80 percent black became sovereign nations? Living in "Afroamerica" would be totally optional of course, and white people would be allowed to live there as long as they recognized their privilege and didn't participate in politics or run for office.

Like the Indian Reservations there would be free travel into and out of Afroamerica and large areas of corporate owned Midwestern and Southern farmland would be part of the new country since obviously they couldn't thrive with just urban areas alone. Unlike the Indian reservations though Afroamerica would be fully sovereign and would have a seat in the UN.
I've got a great idea, why don't you go live on a sovereign nation reservation.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
that kinda the idea behind the black panted platform. now i don't think they need their own country but I welcome the idea of their own towns or cities. but not just heavy majority. but completely 100%. 100% black police fore, 100% black governments , everything fire hospitals, schools, shops,. kinda like a china town.

i notice some are claiming back to africa, by no way am i suggestion that. I just feel people are more happy with their own kind sand culture, without government forcing the busing type deals on people.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:21 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
that kinda the idea behind the black panted platform. now i don't think they need their own country but I welcome the idea of their own towns or cities. but not just heavy majority. but completely 100%. 100% black police fore, 100% black governments , everything fire hospitals, schools, shops,. kinda like a china town.
You can welcome it all you want, but it wont happen, sorry, I am not going anywhere. Besides, my employees would hate being out of a job.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,508 times
CD politics forums never ceases to amaze me. I'm glad CD is not representative of the average american. Very bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies