Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The 5 "most dangerous guns" are all general categories huh? Lol, well....whoda thunk? roflmao.
Same thing I thought, I was expecting specific models not categories. FYI folks Muskets and AR's are covered under Rifles. Derringers are simply a type of pistol and revolvers are also considered to be a type of pistol. What I believe they meant, if they knew what the heck they were actually talking about, category wise would have been more like:
Semi-Automatic Handguns
Revolvers
Rifles
Shotguns
Single Action Pocket Pistols
and even that is not the best way to list them since the last item is not really a top level category as the others are supposed to be.
Anyway, the listing is only proof that some should not attempt to discuss topics they obviously know little to nothing about, couldn't they find at least one person on their staff that is knowledgeable about guns, I find that hard to believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The most dangerous gun I have ever owned was a little bolt action single shot .22 rifle.

Bolt action rim fires, should be banned!!!
Squirrel Killer!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:47 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Rifles Photo - The 5 Most Dangerous Guns in America | Rolling Stone

Read it and weep. Sorry but this is just dumb. It's kind of like saying that the three most dangerous vehicles on the road are the truck, car, and motorcycle.

Rolling Stone's list of the five most dangerous guns:

1) pistol
2) revolver
3) rifle
4) shotgun
5) derringer

Rolling Stone writers should stick to 'top 10 oral sex scene' or 'top 10 boy bands.' Stick to what you know.
Or Top 5 Cutest Terrorists.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You are right cars and trucks are also dangerous. Dangerous to he point that we insist that a person wanting to use such things has to be licensed and has to show physical and mental proficiency to have and continue to have the operators license.

We also insist that his cars or trucks be registered so we know who is responsible for a particular car or truck. That said car or truck have a legally mandated identification plate mounted in a manner proscribed by law on the car or truck. This is to facilitate the identification of the vehicle and driver if it is being or has been used in a dangerous or negligent manner.

In most states vehicles have to be inspected for safe operation and his inspection certificate be mounted on the vehicle. We even require one to purchase liability insurance to pay for any damage or injury we may cause when operating the vehicle. All of these burdens are backed by the force of law and criminal penalties if we fail to comply with any of them.

Now guns kill about the same number of Americans every year as cars and trucks. Now what is so absurd about treating guns just like we treat cars and trucks? I don't think the editors of Rolling Stone are dumb, not in the least bit.
Gun ownership is a Right.

Driving is a Privilege.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well since there were no cars back then of course that wasn't in the constitution
There were Horses and Wagons, strange the Founders did not see fit to put them in as a right to ownership, or maybe they knew what they were doing.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Same thing I thought, I was expecting specific models not categories. FYI folks Muskets and AR's are covered under Rifles. Derringers are simply a type of pistol and revolvers are also considered to be a type of pistol. What I believe they meant, if they knew what the heck they were actually talking about, category wise would have been more like:
Semi-Automatic Handguns
Revolvers
Rifles
Shotguns
Single Action Pocket Pistols
and even that is not the best way to list them since the last item is not really a top level category as the others are supposed to be.
Anyway, the listing is only proof that some should not attempt to discuss topics they obviously know little to nothing about, couldn't they find at least one person on their staff that is knowledgeable about guns, I find that hard to believe?
A musket isn't a rifle

Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A musket isn't a rifle
OK, they are smooth bore, I was not thinking, but then again some muskets did get a rifled bore and were called a .......................wait for it..............................Rifle

And that folks, is your history lesson for today

As for the topic, it still seems that many people still cannot understand what the root of the problem is, it is not the tool, it is the person using the tool. I spent years working on firearms and surrounded by hundreds of weapons all day long, funny thing, not once has one ever gone off by itself, it always takes the hand of man to make that action occur. Hence, if one is truly interested dealing with gun related violence then they need go after the men (and women) that use the tool to commit acts of violence, the tool is innocent of any wrong doing. My suggestion is to start with the punks that belong to gangs, since they are the ones that commit the most crimes using a gun.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
OK, they are smooth bore, I was not thinking, but then again some muskets did get a rifled bore and were called a .......................wait for it..............................Rifle

And that folks, is your history lesson for today

As for the topic, it still seems that many people still cannot understand what the root of the problem is, it is not the tool, it is the person using the tool. I spent years working on firearms and surrounded by hundreds of weapons all day long, funny thing, not once has one ever gone off by itself, it always takes the hand of man to make that action occur. Hence, if one is truly interested dealing with gun related violence then they need go after the men (and women) that use the tool to commit acts of violence, the tool is innocent of any wrong doing. My suggestion is to start with the punks that belong to gangs, since they are the ones that commit the most crimes using a gun.
Yep, but it is easier to blame a chunk of metal and plastic than hold people and society accountable.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Yep, but it is easier to blame a chunk of metal and plastic than hold people and society accountable.
True, but it takes less effort and gives one a false sense of being more secure. My favorite example was Colorado banning AR's, and some felt sage and secure then not long after the Teens shot up their fellow highschool students using AR's. Bans simply do not work, the horse left the barn so long ago we can no longer find him. Statistics have shown while AR's have been used by crazies and criminals to commit crimes the rate at which they are used compared to other Types of guns is almost too small to measure. Even the majority of law enforcement agencies around the Nation supported lifting the ban on AR's since they knew AR's where not an issue when it came to the crimes committed. I wonder some times if those that wish to ban guns are actually naïve enough to believe that is all guns were banned that everyone that owns them would simply go down to their local police station and turn them in, is anyone that stupid?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:

Inncorrect.

It was not called a rifle until the 1880's.
It was called a long gun.

The long gun is what helped so few men, took out so many of Santa Anna's men, at the Alamo before being overcome.

They could reach out and touch them pretty accurately out to 300 yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies