Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:53 AM

553 posts, read 596,485 times

Advertisements

With the anniversery of 9-11 coming up and with ISIS and the Ukraine prompting NATO to take a stand and confusion from the White House we may wind up with a serious Threat that will be responded to by a Draft and there will suddenly be a lot of people claiming to be Conscientious Objectors. Is this some legal loophole that some sleezeball can claim exemption on? There are two categories of Conscientious Objection: I-AO and I-O--and neither one actually expempts anybody!

I-AO is for those who oppose the taking of human life, so they serve as battlefield medics, which is considered the most dangerous job on the battlefield. A lot of Draft Dodgers avoid that offer by saying, "As soon as that man is healed he'll go back to killing and I just can't be a part of that." His Local Draft Board has to come up with a certain number to serve and if they're hard up for manpower they'd reason his reply like this: He just said he'd stand there and watch somebody die rather than render medical attention! He's no Conscientious Objector; he's a Cold-blooded Killer!

I-O is for those who have strong religious convictions that interfere with military service. It was set up for the Amish, the Mennonites, and the Jehovah's Witnesses. Their Churches will tell you they oppose military service, so the trick is to allow athiests to make the same claim, right? That's what nearly everybody thinks and it has routinely passed through a lot of confused court rooms, but here's the Problem: So many people opposed military service we had to Draft you and now we're going to take the reason you were Drafted as the reason you're exempt from the Draft? And since the Military is funded by taxes wouldn't these same people be exempt from paying taxes and yet don't the courts routinely rule that they must pay their taxes?

It turns out those strong religious conviction have nothing directly to do with military service! The Amish and Mennonites believe it is sinful to wear anything flashy and the military dress uniform is very flashy. This interferes with the development of unit cohesion in Basic Training. Some of them were drafted in World War I and they were model soldiers who would would obey the most disagreeable work orders without complaint but conscientiously refused to wear the dress uniform and it drove the Army crazy. The Jehovah's Witnesses belive that saluting the Flag is worshiping a god other than Jehovah. Some of them were also drafted in World War I. They, too, made model soldiers--until it came time to salute the Flag. And that interfered with the development of unit cohesion. If the Military could allow these exceptions then these guys could serve as battlefield medics, but since the difference between an army and a mob is discipline based on teamwork these exceptions will not be allowed at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:58 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,762,516 times
It's my understanding that if you choose the CO route, you must do 4 years of community service work. I know a few who did that back in the Viet Nam days.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
If you were in a war zone would really want someone like that protecting your back?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,001,474 times
There will be no draft. Silliness.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
There will be no draft. Silliness.
The Draft is how politicians look tough.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you were in a war zone would really want someone like that protecting your back?

They were commonly called "zombies" by Commonwealth allied troops during WWII.

The problem with disparaging all of them with generalizations is acknowledged by a story my father told me of how one of those guys drove his tanker truck through enemy lines to get to a group of Canadian tanks that had run low, with a choice of either abandoning their Shermans or getting refueled and fighting their way back to their own lines in the Liri Valley.

Some of them were indeed endowed with a higher developed moral imperative.

He might not be the guy who protects your back but the guy who goes out there under fire to drag your azz back to a field hospital. We need all kinds.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
75 men were lucky this Conscientious Objector had their backs at Okinawa. Here's the Medal of Honor Citation he recieved for it:

Desmond Doss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ponder "advancing through through a shower of hand grenades" four separate times to save four men 25 feet from the mouth of an enemy cave.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
The Draft is how politicians look tough.
In today's world it would actually be the way they commit political suicide.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,745,493 times
Conscription is disgusting, it is the assumption that your entire existence is somehow "owned" by the State. The belief that a human is just a piece of meat to be throw away at the whim of the State. It is a premise that should have been thrown away with all silly ideologies of tyrants from the past. When the nitwits in government who vote for war are the first people to drop in enemy territory, then maybe, maybe, the State has some cause to implement conscription.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,674,899 times
It was the opposition to the Draft that sparked the Viet Nam War protest. That is the way I remember it. If you want to stop playing Whack A Mole around the world bring back the Draft. When defense of the country is spread throughout the population, the population will be engage in politics, and decide what is in their best interest. Few people will protest a war fought by volunteers and government will use them like rented mules. The best way to bring back the Draft is to educate the young in your own family and communities why it is not a good idea to enlist in military service. When there is not enough volunteers or private contractors the Military Industrial Complex will force the draft on their puppets through campaign contributions. Their is no way they can resist that kind of bribe and stay in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies