Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The newly insured under the ACA are, by and large, pleased with their coverage, and the law has clearly improved access to care.
Oh, good grief. Embrace reality. Embrace the suck that is the ACA...
Quote:
"With the advent of the Affordable Care Act, the share of Americans convinced that health care is a right shrank from a majority to a minority.

This shift in public opinion is a major victory for the Republican Party. It is part of a larger trend: a steady decline in support for redistributive government policies. Emmanuel Saez, an economics professor at Berkeley and one of the nation’s premier experts on inequality, is a co-author of a study that confirms this trend, which has been developing over the last four decades. A separate study, “The Structure of Inequality and Americans’ Attitudes Toward Redistribution,” found that as inequality increases, so does ideological conservatism in the electorate.

The erosion of the belief in health care as a government-protected right is perhaps the most dramatic reflection of these trends. In 2006, by a margin of more than two to one, 69-28, those surveyed by Gallup said that the federal government should guarantee health care coverage for all citizens of the United States. By late 2014, however, Gallup found that this percentage had fallen 24 points to 45 percent, while the percentage of respondents who said health care is not a federal responsibility nearly doubled to 52 percent."
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/op...alth.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:32 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Thumbs down Obumer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Obama presidency - failure or success?

No need for big detailed explanations, just answer simply.

failure beyond years.
Anti constitution
Executive orders to by pass congress.
Making up new laws from the White House.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Tons of people from the Bush years forward were telling everyone not to remove all the troops because of what would happen, which it did. What happened was foretold.

Now granted the President is maybe the weakest negotiator in Presidential history and appears to have little success in talking with anyone, so the inability to get results he wanted in Iraq is not surprising to anyone either.
His backing of a Russian reset, various red lines and the Arab Spring and giving 150 billion to the largest world sponsor of terror will be among his administration highlights for decades to come.
well said I need not to add to your comments. We can not even trust the Obama administration on a wide range of issues and Clinton was and is part of that machine.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:06 PM

659 posts, read 312,731 times
"No need for big detailed explanations, just answer simply."

Unless this is some sort of poll and the results going to get reported, I have to wonder why this request was made.

So I call Obama a tremendous success, because he saved our country from economic ruin, or I let be known Obama is a miserable failure because the gap between rich and poor in this country is worse than ever, what does this do for anyone?

Unless we like spitting in the wind and wasting time without learning a damn thing, this request for opinion without any real explanation seems a little asinine to me, much like all too many of these short-and-sweet comments.

I hope no one needs any big detailed explanation about that!

Or if you wish...

Obama -- success -- because he was actually born in the U.S. when many didn't believe it to be true.

There! Happy?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:55 PM

794 posts, read 819,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"No need for big detailed explanations, just answer simply."

Unless this is some sort of poll and the results going to get reported, I have to wonder why this request was made.

So I call Obama a tremendous success, because he saved our country from economic ruin, or I let be known Obama is a miserable failure because the gap between rich and poor in this country is worse than ever, what does this do for anyone?

Unless we like spitting in the wind and wasting time without learning a damn thing, this request for opinion without any real explanation seems a little asinine to me, much like all too many of these short-and-sweet comments.

I hope no one needs any big detailed explanation about that!

Or if you wish...

Obama -- success -- because he was actually born in the U.S. when many didn't believe it to be true.

There! Happy?
When I asked the question, I just wanted to gauge this forums general opinion on failure or success of this president.

I wanted to avoid long winded, self righteous posts arguing every little nuance (or long winded, self righteous posts about the question itself). There is something to be said occasionally for short and to the point over armchair Internet experts drilling every post into the minutia until everyone's eyes glaze over.

Sometimes I guess I forget everyone is a special and unique snowflake who's never ending expertise on everything should never be considered droll and boring...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
Perhaps you're right. But I find Obama to be a likeable personality on TV, and for that reason I'd vote for him again if he was eligible for another term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Well:

1) He had two major "accomplishments," one of which is Obamacare, which remains one of the most unpopular laws in history. Call me old fashipned, but I don't think defying the will of the voters is something to rest laurels on. Obamacare, by the way, only survives because the Supreme Court declared the penalty a tax- making it one of the biggest tax increases in history.

2) His second major "accomplishment," his stimulus packages, is now known to have not stimulated anything.

3) The economy has limped along. It has taken him better than 6 years to get unemployment to a comparable level to what Reagan was able to do in a little over two, and that is not even taking into consideration the entire issue of workforce participation being at a 27 years low.

4) At the time of writing, the Dow just collpased 300 points and it is now generally understood that we are going into a global recession.

5) Because both monetary and fiscal solutions have been exhausted, there is no bullet in any gun anywhere that will be able to mitigate this recession.

6) At the time of writing, Obama's approval accoring to Realclearpolitcs average is 6 points underwater and dropping daily.

7) Obama has failed utterly on any number of promised polices such as cap and trade and "comprehensive" immmigration reform.

8) Because of his unconstitutional attempts to govern by executive order, he has shredded the constitution to the point where the next president can pretty much do as he likes. DEMOCRATS, TAKE NOTE OF THIS ONE. When the dictator comes, it is pretty much Obama's fault.

9) He has literally destroyed his party. Republicans now control the Senate to a level where, though they have to defend the majority of seats next time, they will probably retain in 2016 and grow their advantage in 2018. They control the house in HISTORIC numbers and will not be beaten there for 20 years. Republicans control 31 governorships to 18 Democrat. Republicans have a monoploy in about twice as many state legistlatures.

10) His foreign policy is generally considered an an absolute fiasco, and amounts to nothing more than an abject surrender on every front. His own party is mutinying against him on Iran. Remember his brilliant line to Mitt Romney in the debates: "The 80's called. They want thier foreign policy back."

11) It is under Obama that we are seeing the complete collpase of race relations. Riots are not only back, they are now an everyday part of life.

12) Liberals liked to brag about the low crime rate (apparently blissfully unaware that it was all due to tough-on-crime- measures that incarcerated a majority of career criminals), but now we are seeing a new crime wave.

And on, and on, and on.

I would say this is going to go down as a failed presidency and eight years when the country lost its collective mind by voting for a guy who had no relevant experience in the public or private sector, and no clue as to how to run a lemondade stand much less the most powerful country in the history of the world.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:

How does having the Treasury pump in 40% of the investing into the stock market and doubling the national debt a success?
How do you call 25% (94 million) Americans out of work only 5.2% unemployment?

Why the Russian reset. The red lines, racial division, backing of the Arab Spring and getting troops out of Iraq for Iran and Isis come off as successful?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:

There! Happy?
Oh, and though I am not a big fan of pursuing birther issues when the guy does impeachable things often and we still don't hold him responsible because he is black and the State of Hawaii is known for giving foreign nationals at times long form birth certificates in the past, I am not sure what is true in Obama's case.
I consider the fact the mom was a citizen enough to be OK for American citizenship.
I also think he is hiding school records probably because he got educational funding through aid to foreign students.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Oh, and though I am not a big fan of pursuing birther issues when the guy does impeachable things often and we still don't hold him responsible because he is black and the State of Hawaii is known for giving foreign nationals at times long form birth certificates in the past,
Maybe you could provide some examples of these impeachable things..

Old 08-21-2015, 05:49 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
This is what happens to debtors and serfs, and Obama led the debt parade for 8 years.

Germans begin the looting of Greece - MarketWatch

It's no accident. Obama is a product of the Chicago Democratic machine. The modus operandi is the create huge debt and then sell off public assets to private industry and banks. Thus went the Chicago street and garage parking system and toll system.

Putting people and governments in debt and then looting their assets is an ancient strategy for conquering without arms and Obama led the Fifth Column which ensured the distruction of the middle class everywhere, not just the U.S.

https://www.rt.com/usa/166352-us-tot...ixty-trillion/

The man is a Quisling of a first order. Clinton is his patron Saint. I'm working for Bernie hoping he is not. At least Bernie is talking about the plundering of the middle class and implicitly pointing the finger at his own party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies