Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:03 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,764,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post

All this does is circle around back to the Why.

I believe the Why is that most kids raised without hope won't spontaneously develop it within themselves. As poor as we were at times (snow boots duck taped together, lights shut off, all hand me downs) no one EVER told me I couldn't get out of it, or that it wasn't possible to climb, or that there was a conspiracy against me. Entire neighborhoods full of people told this (or not told anything at all, if you don't have parents) are just not going to look nice. The truly exceptional will get out; the average won't.
Who's ultimately responsible for turning this lack of hope situation around?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,715,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I live in the flyover area..its 99.9% white and yes,the methanites and hillbilly crackheads are everywhere here..its "how they were raised"...pill heads and welfare dependency has been bred into the same families for generations in this area..they are the ones that keep the cops,emergency rooms,courts and lawyers in business in this area..a real drain on society
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
I noticed those types of neighborhoods in Hagerstown, MD and also Northern Baltimore County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes, I see this a lot in my small poor town in south texas. Its weird to see them having parties complete with bouncy castle and lots of food and alcohol. All in the dirt yard with junk piled around.

Its as if they don't notice???? And then post pics of their indoor celebrations with dirty dishes and junk all over the kitchen counters and junk piled everywhere?? I don't get it.

But it goes both ways. There is a lady that built a very nice home complete with 3-car detached garage and game room above - the yard is filthy. Ice chests and bar-b-q grills are just some of the front yard accoutrements.

Then I saw a newish huge ranch house for sale - very nice if you like bland beige rock and walls. I guess the realtor couldn't get them to put away the wet towels all over the bathroom floor and clear the dining room table of junk before she took the pictures. Couldn't believe it went online like that. Oh - and people sitting at the breakfast bar smoking away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
You nailed it right there!

I'm in Bullhead City which def has its PWT but; like you said, there's very LITTLE shooting going on. Tho many "hillbillies" love their guns and like to shoot, even prohibited possessors. But; where's the "gun play" at night or even during the day? It's VERY rare here.

I was angling towards the more populated cities and within city limits. Not towns in rural USA.
That is what I was trying to get an idea of, around the nation.

Rural areas are really another topic. Can the really poor, afford the big cities, with high property taxes?

Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,928,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If you're poor and don't own your home, and you have no idea how long you'll be able to stay in your home or even in the neighborhood, what's to take pride in - and does such pride make economic sense?
It DOES make a difference. Kinda of like what our some of our soldiers did while stationed in Iraq. Like setting up a space on base with things that remind them of back in the US. That kind of stuff helps keep a person's spirits up.

Too; it's the "self discipline" for when things might get better. I've seen pics of poor Chinese living probably illegally in underground "cities" under the streets and those homes were neat and clean, NOT trashed to the max.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:45 AM

943 posts, read 1,200,081 times
My local grocer has an ATM on the outside wall, it normally has one hobo occupying it, sometimes five during the night. I have to pass many homeless alcoholics or drug addicts as soon as I walk on the main street; ALL OF THEM ARE WHITE; it really disgusts me, these people need to be sent somewhere out-of-sight and out-of-mind since my local area has shut down the homeless shelters for the county (not talking about NYC)

Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
My local grocer has an ATM on the outside wall, it normally has one hobo occupying it, sometimes five during the night. I have to pass many homeless alcoholics or drug addicts as soon as I walk on the main street; ALL OF THEM ARE WHITE; it really disgusts me, these people need to be sent somewhere out-of-sight and out-of-mind since my local area has shut down the homeless shelters for the county (not talking about NYC)

Research: Hooverville.

The conclusion you come to after seeing the future of things to come, may calm your nerves.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:01 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times
Quote:
BentBow
But paying $10,000 in property taxes for 1200 sq.ft house, is pushing those ready to retire, from the city.
See, this is what really bothers me....so, your paying 10 grand in property taxes, therefore, did you ever stop and think about, your neighbors, your block, then your entire city....can you imagine how much money they are collecting from everyone????? think about all that money and ask yourself, where the heck is it all going?

Old 09-13-2014, 10:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,446,632 times
There are neighborhoods in Baltimore that are significantly white and poor. They have all the symptoms we've come to associate with black ghettos except for the fact they aren't nearly as violent.

I'm not familiar with these cities but I hear Cincinnati & Boston have neighborhoods like this too.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
More blacks are poor by percentage....but the poorest people I've ever seen in this country are overwhelmingly white and Native American. I've never seen black people as poor as that.

Poor white people are definitely on the bottom of the totem pole in this country. No one gives a damn about them, and they seem to be left to fend for themselves. Black people can at least turn to each other.

That said, I have tremendous sympathy for poor people overall and it's not a racial matter to me.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There are neighborhoods in Baltimore that are significantly white and poor. They have all the symptoms we've come to associate with black ghettos except for the fact they aren't nearly as violent.

I'm not familiar with these cities but I hear Cincinnati & Boston have neighborhoods like this too.
Every large enough major city has it. Even Detroit. Oakwood Heights and parts of Vernor-Springwells look like a war zone. And both are violent as hell.

The poor part of this town I live in is mostly white with a sprinkling of Hispanics and a few blacks. Most blacks here (10% of the population) are middle to upper middle class. A few are even quite wealthy.

That stuff changes a lot once you get out here in the deep Southwest. It's almost like it's the opposite of the racial dynamic east of the Mississippi River. Growing up here in Arizona, I never associated poverty with being black. No one does out here.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
See, this is what really bothers me....so, your paying 10 grand in property taxes, therefore, did you ever stop and think about, your neighbors, your block, then your entire city....can you imagine how much money they are collecting from everyone????? think about all that money and ask yourself, where the heck is it all going?

For one, the former school superintendent was pulling in $650,000 a year and a guaranteed retirement even if she left the position or was replaced. She is now in Atlanta.
The police chief pulls in $360,000 a year with rookie cops being hired at $130,000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies