Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
^ Yes, if anything, the NFL should lose its antitrust exemption. But just because it's bad law, not as a way to punish the league over its players' latest transgressions.

On the bright side, the antitrust exemption generally applies only to the league's ability to negotiate its TV contracts. But if they ever won any more exemptions in court or from Congress, they could start doing things like lowballing salaries, fixing prices on merchandise, and restricting player movement. The NFL spends a lot of money lobbying ... I wouldn't put it past them to push for more exemptions, especially after showing how willing they were to lock out the players, and then the game officials.

The officials lockout had issues that most were unaware of. Changing their status gave them access to retirement plans that even others didn't have access to even though the officials weren't full time

Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You had me until your last line before the link. If you wish to make a case for changing the tax status or don't like the antitrust implications deal with those but be honest enough to be forthright if you have other motives or agendas.
That was my feeling EXACTLY, and I am a woman. Regardless, I'm an ex-accountant and was rather interested in the merits of this petition and the history of the exemption. I read several articles and editorials, and IMHO this one is the most objective.

Examining NFL's tax-exempt status, as challenged by U.S. Senator Tom Coburn - ESPN

I'll not state publically whether or not I'll sign this petition, but I will state that everyone should educate themselves about the issues before signing anything.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Personally, I do not think any organization, including religious, should be tax exempt, and I would want that ban to be part of state regulations enacting taxes.

The notion of tax exempt status just gets into a political power play with stuff not ever intended to be covered, like a for profit org like the NFL, ending up declared tax exempt.
You mean like some groups getting tax exempt status and other groups being put through strict review to get the same could be the product of political pressure? Hmmmmm.....where have a I heard a story like that before?

I've been told that's impossible that any group might be targeted by the IRS out of political inclination.

Complaining about the NFL being "tax exempt" is about the same mental process as thinking that the 2nd pair of shoes was really "free" in a buy one, get one free sale.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I'd prefer that the feds repeal the NFL's exemption from the anti-trust law.
Yes, especially the blackout rule.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
I'm ambivalent with regard to Goodell, but he does have a lot of responsibilities, and the team owners, all billionaires, apparently think the position warrants that kind of pay. Considering $9 million is half what many of the players earn (not counting endorsements) it doesn't seem all that high.

Everyone over 20 years old paying an equal amount of income tax? LMAO I don't think I could handle that these days. Not many could.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Closed for moderator review.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,203,652 times
The nfl does not have a "domestic violence problem" that's feminist propaganda
Ray Rice indicative of violence in the NFL? Data says no | Communities Digital News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies