Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

US Worker Productivity Is Rising Faster Than Wage Growth

The wedges between productivity and median compensation growth | Economic Policy Institute

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/su...nate.html?_r=0

From 1973 to 2011, worker productivity grew 80 percent, while median hourly compensation, after inflation, grew by just one-eighth that amount, according to the Economic Policy Institute

More profits going to owners and loaners of industry then wages. Despite less employees and higher productivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 01:41 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Spoken like a true statist.

I should negotiate compensation and workload with the party I do business with directly.

End of story.
Exactly.....
If someone is willing to pay more than an employee is worth then that is between that employer and the employee. It shouldn't be legislated.
No where did I state that salary should be legislated, quite the opposite actually. Today we have people demanding more pay without actually doing anything to deserve more pay or earn a higher salary. Basically their entire argument is that they can't live on minimum wage. Good then do something about why you can only land minimum wage jobs. By you I don't mean you personally, I do mean those who have no marketable skills for better jobs/ pay.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:52 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Exactly.....
If someone is willing to pay more than an employee is worth then that is between that employer and the employee. It shouldn't be legislated.
No where did I state that salary should be legislated, quite the opposite actually. Today we have people demanding more pay without actually doing anything to deserve more pay or earn a higher salary. Basically their entire argument is that they can't live on minimum wage. Good then do something about why you can only land minimum wage jobs. By you I don't mean you personally, I do mean those who have no marketable skills for better jobs/ pay.
But you gave parameters for a salary. Years exp, "skill", "responsibility", etc.

Unless those are your own personal parameters.

If I want to pay someone $500 per hour to draw me rainbows and unicorns...so be it. If I am willing to build a man a table for $1...so be it.

Only the parties involved should decide pay and workload/conditions.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:33 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
My only argument is for minimum wage to be the minimum amount needed for subsistence without taxpayer subsidy. We have economists to figure out the numbers as to what it would be.

My gut feeling as of now leans to $12-$14 / hour or so currently, but like I said an economist could figure that out better than me.
Large corporations may be able to pay a livable wage, but small businesses can ill afford to pay those kind of wages and should be exempt.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:

For some people the choice isn't there. We need burger flippers. If it is
unlivable, we relegate those people to poverty. Everyone cannot be skilled. If
everyone is skilled no one is skilled. If everyone has a Bachelor's
degree, we will still need burger flippers.
If you pay burger flippers $15 or $20 per hr., then what is the incentive to better ones self? then we have a nation full of blubbering idiots who only know how to flip burgers. Education is the key to a better life for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I am not totally against unskilled labor receiving a decent wage, in fact if places like McDonalds paid a little better, they might improve the quality of their employees.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Excuses.

Pedro was right. If you make a genuine effort to improve your situation, it is extremely likely that you will be, in some way, successful.

People aren't trying, though. That's the problem. They're whining and crying about their situation, waiting for someone to do something about it. The thing is, though, they're not grasping that it's THEM who needs to "do something about it."

Life ain't free or fair, and it never has been. That isn't going to change, no matter how much money you steal from employers to give to their employees.
It is the "entitlement cultures" way to have Uncle Sam do everything for them, generation after generation.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
McDonald's Hourly Pay

2,057 employee salaries (for 157 job titles) Back to all McDonald's salaries

US - All Cities
Search Salaries
Sort: Most Salaries Highest Paying Lowest Paying Updated Sep 19, 2014
Salaries in USD United States Avg. Salary
$6$10$14
Crew Member 405 McDonald's Salaries $7.79 $7$11

Cashier 328 McDonald's Salaries $7.81 $5$10

Crew Trainer 106 McDonald's Salaries $8.12 $7$10

Crew 97 McDonald's Salaries $7.82 $6$10

Shift Manager 80 McDonald's Salaries $9.64 $8$14

Drive Thru Cashier 74 McDonald's Salaries $7.83 $6$10

McDonalds Crew 64 McDonald's Salaries $7.90 $7$10

Certified Swing Manager
57 McDonald's Salaries
$9.62
$8$13
Certified Shift Manager
54 McDonald's Salaries
$9.68
$8$13
Mcdonalds Crew Member
51 McDonald's Salaries
$7.74
$7$9
Crew Member/Grill Cook
49 McDonald's Salaries
$7.76
$7$9
Team Member
41 McDonald's Salaries
$7.69
$7$9
Swing Manager
36 McDonald's Salaries
$9.28
$8$12
Fry Cook
32 McDonald's Salaries
$8.61
$7$15
McDonalds Crew Trainer
32 McDonald's Salaries
$8.08

Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If you pay burger flippers $15 or $20 per hr., then what is the incentive to better ones self?
Jobs are not about incentives, they are about providing means to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
then we have a nation full of blubbering idiots who only know how to flip burgers.
Nope. Judging by the European experience where even burger flippers are paid decent wages and yet society is more educated than ours.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:52 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

Only the parties involved should decide pay and workload/conditions.
Unbelievable. Conservatism is also a mental disorder.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:16 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Unbelievable. Conservatism is also a mental disorder.
Liberalism attracts people who are unhappy who live in a world of "they should this or they shouldn't do that". They believe they "deserve" things when they can't afford it, hence they get themselves in trouble financially. Demanding a "living wage" is an example of their world of should. Liberals say: Lets march and demand a "living wage

Conservatives are basically happy, they've learned to operate in the world of reality and it benefits them. They understand that the world will never be a utopia. They understand that no one will take care of themselves or cares about them more than themselves. They understand supply and demand, that if there are so many people competing for the same job they can't demand a higher wage, so they say I'll better my education, bettering my skills or I'll start a business.

Last edited by petch751; 09-21-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies