Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
You must be old and confused if you think that school or theater shootings are something that we often see nowadays. I haven't seen one in 45 years. How many have you seen yourself?
Because you haven't actually seen one means what? There's a long history of school shootings or kids bringing guns to school. 33 incidents as of September 18 this year. I guess in your head if they didn't actually shoot anyone it doesn't count.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2014, 12:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think people want clean easy will paying jobs.

We have a hard time finding people to work......but, it is hard dirty work.....shoving mud.

Our base pay is $18......many young men have not made it a full day.

And others did not pass the drug screen.
You may be right. I don't know what employee population you have to choose from or what salary competition there is. But a relative was a contractor in the 80s in New England (boom time--lots of work) and could not get anyone who would work pouring cement. He finally discovered the only people willing to do that work were Mexican laborers (illegal). He rented them a house, but actually was fined for this--he got caught because the workmen were using a metal barrel to cook with in the cellar and almost burned the house down. This also explains why illegal immigrants can find work when Americans don't want it.

So that was almost 30 years ago and he had the same problems you have--it is not a new phenomenon. I think it is not that they don't want to work, but if they can find easier and cleaner work at the same wages, why would they choose the dirty hard work? Maybe we do actually need those immigrants in the labor market. Isn't it about supply and demand?

Old 09-28-2014, 12:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
You may be right. I don't know what employee population you have to choose from or what salary competition there is. But a relative was a contractor in the 80s in New England (boom time--lots of work) and could not get anyone who would work pouring cement. He finally discovered the only people willing to do that work were Mexican laborers (illegal). He rented them a house, but actually was fined for this--he got caught because the workmen were using a metal barrel to cook with in the cellar and almost burned the house down. This also explains why illegal immigrants can find work when Americans don't want it.

So that was almost 30 years ago and he had the same problems you have--it is not a new phenomenon. I think it is not that they don't want to work, but if they can find easier and cleaner work at the same wages, why would they choose the dirty hard work? Maybe we do actually need those immigrants in the labor market. Isn't it about supply and demand?
IMO....$18 an hour is a good stating wage.

We are not in an area with illegals anymore.

The fields of beans, beets and pickles are sprayed.....not hoed.

And the pickles are machine harvested now.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
If you can't read I can't help you lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Because you haven't actually seen one means what? There's a long history of school shootings or kids bringing guns to school. 33 incidents as of September 18 this year. I guess in your head if they didn't actually shoot anyone it doesn't count.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2014, 12:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Really?

Well when you small business owner I will love to see you do that..
Why not? Would you me rather compain that nobody wants to work for peanuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Or maybe you stop the flood of cheap labor and let wages rise...And maybe stop inflation by backing our money with sliver and gold..
So why are business owners hiring illegal aliens? That's against the law.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:36 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think people want clean easy will paying jobs.

We have a hard time finding people to work......but, it is hard dirty work.....shoving mud.

Our base pay is $18......many young men have not made it a full day.

And others did not pass the drug screen.
Out of HS in the 70s I purposefully sought a job in the construction field - a brick mason's laborer for a large outfit. Hot and dirty in the summer is quite an understatement and it paid $4 hr. I doubt many kids out of HS would do the job now.
Illegals will do so because they want to eat.
American kids want to get paid. They will live with mom and dad until a gravy job falls into their laps. Guess what...That never happens.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 PM

433 posts, read 291,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Why not? Would you me rather compain that nobody wants to work for peanuts?

So why are business owners hiring illegal aliens? That's against the law.

What if you can not afford to them anything then min wage? Don`t start your business?

Why not just buy machines that will do it?

If they do they should have the licence pulled..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:45 PM

140 posts, read 126,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
how exactly is the government "helping black people?" should the government be helping illegals? what part of illegal don't you understand? I know you view illegals as potential votes, but not everyone views them that way. I view them as illegal. and perhaps single moms should help themselves by having an abortion.
The government helps all people. Rich, poor, black, white , sick, well, old, young...ect.

You're not 5, you should know this.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:59 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
When I was a kid in the 70's and a teen in the 80's the threat of nuclear war loomed on us with USSR nuclear bombs, now we worry more about a Islamic car bomb or cooker bomb.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:04 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer1947 View Post
When I was a young boy, every family owned a home, people got married, had kids and could afford them.

Now, every community innthis country seems to have a "ghetto" area, race relations are a mess and nobody has amy idea how to make things better. There are so many women having kids out of wedlock its mind boggling. And those fathers, more often than not, don't ever marry the woman they had a child with.

Moreover, what happened to morality? The crimes I read about and the senselessness of them go beyond words. We use to play stick ball in the street. The worst we did was open up old fire hydrants on a hot day in the summer. Now, the crimes are horrific. Teen girls murdering other teens in cold blood because they didn't want be friends anymore.

It's truly sickening. Its amazing how I have seen things get worse over the decades. Where do we go from here? Is our country seeing the sunset on our best days? Or will we be able to rally around eachother and go back to the way things use to be.

Nobody wants to work anymore. These government handouts have done so much to cripple our society. And whats worse is, its like "give a dog a bone," in that, since they have been given so much, I fear we will never be able to force people to work again because they are use to getting things for free.

I don't want to get Political, but this is a major source of resentment that exists acorss the working/non working citizens.

So now what do we do?
Let me guess when you were a young boy white men ruled everything. Women stayed at home barefoot and pregnant and blacks sat at the back of the bus.

Good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies