Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

I shoot any varmint I see.

I take my .50BMG rifle and pick coyotes off for up to a mile from the roof of my house.

Great fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I shoot any varmint I see.

I take my .50BMG rifle and pick coyotes off for up to a mile from the roof of my house.

Great fun.
The guys around here hunt coyotes with dogs in the winter.

We are in the woods......so a mile shot sounds like a long way to me.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The guys around here hunt coyotes with dogs in the winter.

We are in the woods......so a mile shot sounds like a long way to me.
Open plains where I live with the odd coulee.

I make sure of my background, use my coyote calls to bring them in and then BOOM!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Having been on this forum long enough, I know there are posters who believe that human activity can not have a global effect. Evidence indicates otherwise.
What evidence do you have?

Quote:
That human beings can drive or hunt species to extinction is well documented.
Can you provide some documentation?

Quote:
I know there are conservation efforts in many countries, but more conservation is needed.

This all begs the question are conservation efforts worth the costs?
"To beg the question does not mean "to raise the question." (e.g. "It begs the question, why is he so dumb?") This is a common error of usage made by those who mistake the word "question" in the phrase to refer to a literal question. Sadly, the error has grown more and more common with time, such that even journalists, advertisers, and major mass media entities have fallen prey to "BTQ Abuse.""
Quote:
The world would be a much greyer place without the diversity of species.

BBC News - World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report
The world would be a much better place without Liberals and Liberalism.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Open plains where I live with the odd coulee.

I make sure of my background, use my coyote calls to bring them in and then BOOM!
That would make a difference.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have deer, elk, moose, bears, wolves, cougars, wild turkeys and other critters on my lawn pretty regularly and we get along fine. I have an idea...why don't we trap some wolves and transplant them to some urban parks? I'm sure that our city residents would enjoy seeing them.
We have deer, rabbits, groundhogs, raccoons, occasional wild turkeys, Canada geese, an occasional bear, numerous bird species (including Eastern Blue Birds, Great Blue Heron, Bald Eagle, and many more.

If I failed to mention some, I apologize to them. It was not my intent to slight any by omission.

My neighbor shot some of the groundhogs this summer that were getting into the garden. We have feral cats that we feed that help keep the squirrel and chipmunk population under control, and we had a guy trapping raccoons a couple of years ago when they were becoming a problem.

I suppose I should get a gun and take care of some of these pests myself. My neighbor says groundhog tastes like roast beef, and he says squirrels are good to eat too.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I live in an HOA, but am surrounded by a lot of woods and wetlands, and the community I'm in is an exurb of Cleveland. So, while my community does have your typical suburban feel, parts of it have a rural feel as well. We don't have the moose, bears (though black bears show up in Ohio from time to time) wolves or cougars, we do have coyote which I've seen, wild turkey (my neighbor who lives by the woods feeds them) blue herrons, beavers, deer, giant snapping turtles, muskrats, raccoons, skunks, and various amount of species of birds. My neighbor by the woods on Easter Sunday was sitting on his patio, and saw what he swears was a wolf, because he said it was too big to be a coyote. Was it a wolf? Perhaps. At any rate, plenty of wild life, and definitely fun to watch.
You must live near my sister (Burton) and where my dad used to live (South Russel). I grew up in Moerland Hills (across from the polo field), and went to Chagrin Falls High School. We had 27 acres.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:41 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
We have deer, rabbits, groundhogs, raccoons, occasional wild turkeys, Canada geese, an occasional bear, numerous bird species (including Eastern Blue Birds, Great Blue Heron, Bald Eagle, and many more.

If I failed to mention some, I apologize to them. It was not my intent to slight any by omission.

My neighbor shot some of the groundhogs this summer that were getting into the garden. We have feral cats that we feed that help keep the squirrel and chipmunk population under control, and we had a guy trapping raccoons a couple of years ago when they were becoming a problem.

I suppose I should get a gun and take care of some of these pests myself. My neighbor says groundhog tastes like roast beef, and he says squirrels are good to eat too.

Don't believe everything your neighbor says.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 PM

<snicker> I thought "Progressives" believed in human "progress." They believe that human nature has progressed. So, I guess you are not a true "Progressive" then?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
see what happens, Treebeard ? you try to start a serious thread about
one of the only issues that truly matter, you know, UNIVERSE-WISE,
and all people want to do is brag about how many "varmints" they kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies