Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Don't confuse gloabal warming with reduced animal populations.

Of course humans can have an impact on wildlife populations but don't try to link that with human caused global warming and CO2.

There are many stories of wildlife management increasing wildlife populations.

First rule of WM is you cannot stockpile animals, the exception is a zoo or a 'frozen bull'.
In fact, the deer population is a problem here in Ohio. Last year, the hunting season was extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:48 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What difference does that make? Is your argument one needs to be a vegetarian to be for conservation? Now that is brilliant!
I would have asked the same question, because I got the distinct impression you were opposed to people killing animals for food.

We're having pork chops for dinner tonight, and last week I bought another whole boneless pork loin. $1.99/lb. I cut them to about 3/4" thick. Yum.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,396,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In fact, the deer population is a problem here in Ohio. Last year, the hunting season was extended.
Car deer accidents are up in Michigan .

Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM

433 posts, read 291,508 times
Quote:
Yes...the old if I see it in my backyard than it must be like that all over the world argument. Maxwell Smart would be proud.
Why not? Liberals use that same line of logic....

Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,133,056 times
I didn't realize deer were the benchmark of global wildlife extinction.

However, there are more deer because they no longer have a significant predator besides cars and rifles. Their predators are mostly gone due to habitat destruction.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,731,874 times
Quote:
Having been on this forum long enough, I know there are posters who believe that human activity can not have a global effect. Evidence indicates otherwise.

That human beings can drive or hunt species to extinction is well documented. I know there are conservation efforts in many countries, but more conservation is needed.

This all begs the question are conservation efforts worth the costs?

The world would be a much greyer place without the diversity of species.

BBC News - World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report

From just 15 years ago seeing a doe every now and then, with a buck worth taking a look at, even rarer, to today.

I have a herd of does and the bucks come a running during the rut.

Hogs have always been an issue, but now it is really getting bad in the pasture with cows breaking legs in the rooting.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Their predators are mostly gone due to habitat destruction.
Their predators like wolves were gone a long time ago because they also kill livestock.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,508,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I noticed in the article that most of the story dealt with non-US areas. Actually I didn't see the US mentioned at all. There was a short mention of the UK.

Like it or not (and I may not) extinction of species is the norm and not the exception. Is man involved in some? Yes, most likely. There is still dispute over the impact of man in the North American mega-fauna extinction 10000 years ago.

Living by the Chesapeake Bay as I do I see the impact of over-development every day, especially after a heavy rain. Measures have been adopted to lessen the impact but the reality is that the Bay watershed is predicted to increase by 10 million people over the next 20 years. Many areas of the US around high job availability centers are looking at similar numbers.
I believe the dispute of wether man was behind the extinction of the mega fauna of the Americas has been mostly resolved. There is outstanding evidence of an atmospheric explosion of either a comet or meteor over the US and Canada border, like the Tunguska meteor explosion over Siberia in 1908, dating to about 11,000 years ago and coincides with the change from one hunting culture to another. But the current rate of extinctions is much elevated due to man, animals such as the elephant, rhinoceros, tiger, chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan and so on may not be here by the end of the century, same goes for many sharks, dolphins and whales, we are directly responsible for their plummeting populations.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,911,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Don't believe everything your neighbor says.
Groundhogs, woodchucks, whistle pigs..whatever, I hate them and trap them out all summer long. I made an attempt to shoot them with my .22 last summer but thought it to be a bad idea in a housing development. I wouldn't eat one of those if someone paid me $1K. They smell like crap and that is enough for me.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,133,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Their predators like wolves were gone a long time ago because they also kill livestock.
Yes, that is problem where wolves exists, not many wolves in Central Texas. Humans encroachment is the cause of all this, I'm not condoning anything just stating the facts of the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies