Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,412,240 times

Advertisements

Having been on this forum long enough, I know there are posters who believe that human activity can not have a global effect. Evidence indicates otherwise.

That human beings can drive or hunt species to extinction is well documented. I know there are conservation efforts in many countries, but more conservation is needed.

This all begs the question are conservation efforts worth the costs?

The world would be a much greyer place without the diversity of species.

Quote:
The global loss of species is even worse than previously thought, the London Zoological Society (ZSL) says in its new Living Planet Index.

The report suggests populations have halved in 40 years, as new methodology gives more alarming results than in a report two years ago.

The report says populations of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish have declined by an average of 52%.

Populations of freshwater species have suffered an even worse fall of 76%.

BBC News - World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,586,483 times
I have deer, elk, moose, bears, wolves, cougars, wild turkeys and other critters on my lawn pretty regularly and we get along fine. I have an idea...why don't we trap some wolves and transplant them to some urban parks? I'm sure that our city residents would enjoy seeing them.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have deer, elk, moose, bears, wolves, cougars, wild turkeys and other critters on my lawn pretty regularly and we get along fine. I have an idea...why don't we trap some wolves and transplant them to some urban parks? I'm sure that our city residents would enjoy seeing them.
Yes...the old if I see it in my backyard than it must be like that all over the world argument. Maxwell Smart would be proud.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 AM

45,557 posts, read 60,809,385 times
I noticed in the article that most of the story dealt with non-US areas. Actually I didn't see the US mentioned at all. There was a short mention of the UK.

Like it or not (and I may not) extinction of species is the norm and not the exception. Is man involved in some? Yes, most likely. There is still dispute over the impact of man in the North American mega-fauna extinction 10000 years ago.

Living by the Chesapeake Bay as I do I see the impact of over-development every day, especially after a heavy rain. Measures have been adopted to lessen the impact but the reality is that the Bay watershed is predicted to increase by 10 million people over the next 20 years. Many areas of the US around high job availability centers are looking at similar numbers.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,611,475 times
humanity will never progress, and the world will always suffer,
as long as money is permitted to enslave us.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
What do you propose? All of these industries whether it's commercial or for sport are highly regulated here in the US. If countries like China are decimating populations of fish what do you suggest?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,011,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

I live in an HOA, but am surrounded by a lot of woods and wetlands, and the community I'm in is an exurb of Cleveland. So, while my community does have your typical suburban feel, parts of it have a rural feel as well. We don't have the moose, bears (though black bears show up in Ohio from time to time) wolves or cougars, we do have coyote which I've seen, wild turkey (my neighbor who lives by the woods feeds them) blue herrons, beavers, deer, giant snapping turtles, muskrats, raccoons, skunks, and various amount of species of birds. My neighbor by the woods on Easter Sunday was sitting on his patio, and saw what he swears was a wolf, because he said it was too big to be a coyote. Was it a wolf? Perhaps. At any rate, plenty of wild life, and definitely fun to watch.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 AM

45,276 posts, read 26,532,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Having been on this forum long enough, I know there are posters who believe that human activity can not have a global effect. Evidence indicates otherwise.

That human beings can drive or hunt species to extinction is well documented. I know there are conservation efforts in many countries, but more conservation is needed.

This all begs the question are conservation efforts worth the costs?

The world would be a much greyer place without the diversity of species.

BBC News - World wildlife populations halved in 40 years - report
Are you a vegetarian?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I noticed in the article that most of the story dealt with non-US areas. Actually I didn't see the US mentioned at all. There was a short mention of the UK.

Like it or not (and I may not) extinction of species is the norm and not the exception. Is man involved in some? Yes, most likely. There is still dispute over the impact of man in the North American mega-fauna extinction 10000 years ago.

Living by the Chesapeake Bay as I do I see the impact of over-development every day, especially after a heavy rain. Measures have been adopted to lessen the impact but the reality is that the Bay watershed is predicted to increase by 10 million people over the next 20 years. Many areas of the US around high job availability centers are looking at similar numbers.
As human populations grow and expand obviously habitat for species will decline. So this news is not totally a surprise. Unlike third world countries, the US does have environmental laws, federal, state and local to have mitigate some of the impact of development. Those laws are always be contested though and/or watered down. I can see that worldwide the wildlife situation would be more dire for many reasons.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Are you a vegetarian?
What difference does that make? Is your argument one needs to be a vegetarian to be for conservation? Now that is brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies