Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If you believe Obama's promise that energy costs would skyrocket under his 'plan', you have to agree the cost increase is caused by Obama's energy plan.

You calling him a liar? You saying he isn't an energy expert? Enough people voted for him that apparently are happy to pay huge energy bills.

The New England states were awash in 'obama for prsident bumper stickers' and lawn signs.

So enjoy!

Those chilly winter nights, are as cool as Obama, the main reason you voted for him.
New England gets a lot of its electricity from Hydro Quebec.
I guess Obama controls the tides, weather and Quebec Hydro prices.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's all? One professor?

LOL

As if one professor of economics is the end-all, be-all to energy economics? When will liberals ever give up on their Person Worship Syndrome™?
.. another right winger who didn't actually read the article or the posts in this thread.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why do you think almost all those that retire in the NE, move to Florida, Texas or Arizona?
Not me. I'm staying right here in New Jersey when I retire next year.

Never been to Florida and have never wanted to go there.

Been to Houston; couldn't breathe water droplets.

Don't want to dry up like a prune in Arizona.

Nope, New Jersey has everything I need!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:09 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Here's what's happening in a small town in south central MN:

Angry Lake Crystal residents vent about high electric rates - Mankato Free Press: Local News

I don't suppose it matters much whether the residents are Democrat or Republican in the end result. Casting blame and arguing aren't going to keep you warm in the wintertime.

I dunno. Maybe it can be justified in some way. I can't think of one.
The article says the city buys electricity at 9.4 cents per kilowatt-hour. That's cheaper than the 12 cent US average. Something else must be going on if people are racking up $700/month utility bills.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:25 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
New England gets a lot of its electricity from Hydro Quebec.
I guess Obama controls the tides, weather and Quebec Hydro prices.
More likely the GOP controls those, and they are doing this just to bring Obama down. You know, because they don't like having a black man in the White House and all...

Old 09-30-2014, 02:58 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
You don't even read your own links.

"The GOP warns that a price spike in New England is a result of federal regulation. The experts, however, sharply disagree."

"Companies that buy the electricity that power companies generate will, of course, prefer the lowest price. That should keep costs low, but it also means that if a company takes the risk of investing in a new pipeline, it might not be able to include that cost in the price of its gas – it could be too expensive....

So in fact, experts say, it isn't federal regulators to blame, it's the market. Demand for the lowest possible electricity prices has discouraged the construction of a new pipeline – and yet, that very project could help satisfy the soaring demand that's been spurred by historically low gas prices."
And you didn't read this bit:

Quote:
Since June, the committee has warned that the EPA's proposed Clean Power Plan, which would limit carbon dioxide emissions from existing power plants, would sharply raise prices across the country, either by compelling plants to install costly new technology or forcing them to shut down altogether. Last week, it pointed to New England as proof.
"More utilities are switching from coal to natural gas as EPA regulations force coal-fired power plants to retire prematurely," the majority members of the Energy and Commerce Committee declared in an email blast and blog post shortly after the National Grid announcement.
Regulatory "red tape," it added, has also slowed the federal approval process for new pipelines, sowing risk and uncertainty and discouraging companies from building a new pipeline.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hard to shovel snow a lot of snow when you're 70 years old. By the way, almost all retirees in the Northeast are not moving out of the Northeast. That's also where you're wrong. PA is one of the top states to retire to, and we're in the Northeast

Go to Florida and ask the little grey hair woman, where she is from and I bet money she won't say Sarasota.

Just look at places like the Villages, Sand Piper, and Key Ray, that are retirement communities with locations all over Florida, that are bigger than towns in Texas. They target the New England area with advertizements.

Last edited by BentBow; 09-30-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies