Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 02:52 PM

52,244 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
I agree! Again that's thanks to Blair's Labour government! Although I think people are waking up. Even black people and Muslims complain about how most of the "indigenous" Brits (like me) don't stand up for ourselves. But, around 5 years ago, before UKIP was massive, it was getting worrying because far right fascist movements such as the BNP (who got a couple of seats at Westminster) and the English Defense League (EDL) where getting a voice and were starting to become popular. Luckily UKIP (more in the middle and fair, but cares about British citizens) steeped in and shadowed those racist asses, BNP has had a bad year this year because of UKIP. Also, the main parties (Con, Lab and Lib) are all scared up their own ass that UKIP will be in power within the next 10 or so years. Cameron is even trying to sound like Nigel Farage by say "we will give you a referendum on the EU", but I don't trust that tw*t!
Anyway UKIP will get rid of any red tape and Political Correctness crap... By the way, I'm the least PC guy you could meet, I actually say what I think wherever I am! Because I have the right!

It isn't are business. But we can still talk about it, and occasionally ague and or banter about it. But, in all honesty I don't really care what you guys do. I just wanted to see what you guy thought.
I wasn't trying to offend you or any other non Americans......

Old 10-04-2014, 02:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
On a different note. It's worth mentioning that according to the "UNODC" murder rates in the most recent year, America's homicide numbers is around 14,827 with a Population of around 319,000,000. Now the UK has 653 homicide numbers with a population of around 64,000,000.
Now if you where to divide that 653 by 64,000,000=0.000010203
If you X that 0.000010203 by 319,000,000 it will add up to: around 3255 homicides in the same year.
So if the UK had a population the size of Americas, homicide numbers would be about 22% of Americas. This meaning that in terms of Homicides Britain is much safer.
Yes but how can we trust your numbers? It's been proven that your government cooks the books on crime stats. Lets say a drive by happened where 3 people were killed.... Your government may likely count that as one homicide?
Quote:
Though I think Britain does have a problem with Murders, these statistics show it's ignorant to think that Britain is worse of because of it's strict gun control.
Accept that your gun crime rates have doubled since handguns were banned. I'd say that's worse off. You certainly aren't better for it.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Right..... and the British government no doubt lies to them to keep them supporting such motions, much in the way US media lies to us to try and get us to support said motions in our own government.

Fine, you can call it fear if you wish, but it's not an unsubstantiated fear, and that's the difference. You can pretend that it is, pretend that there's no good reason at all to carry a gun, but to do so would be to pretend that crime does not exist, that it doesn't happen, and that there will never be a time when you will ever need to defend yourself. Until such time as our crime rate is "0" your argument falls flat on it's FACE!
And what lies would they be telling them pray tell? Handguns make you sterile? Brother!

I call it fear because that is exactly what it is. You're not arming yourselves in defense of that government lying to you and becoming less transparent on a daily basis as provided by the 2nd, but rather to defend yourselves from EACH OTHER. That's what's known as oxymoronic but you can skip the oxy part if you wish to be more accurate.

The more of you are armed, the more of you will have to be armed to keep watch on all of those others who are armed and so on and so on. Once each and every one of you is carrying you'll have to find a third party to stand watch on all of you, maybe a trained chimp or orangutang.

Even the cowboys saw the futility in that exercise eventually, but you carry on regressing and we'll keep on being amused by it.

Now as to this whole stupid thread; it's no one's business but yours if you choose to walk around with 40 oz. of inert metal dragging down your pants but even a framing carpenter has the sense god gave him and can't wait to shed his tool belt and hammer when he punches out for the day. You've got way more important things to worry about and wasting time on this silly debate is akin to watching Fox news and waiting for the authoritative and un-prejudicial reportage of news to commence.

"To each his own"; that's the bottom line for this topic.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:55 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I call it fear because that is exactly what it is. You're not arming yourselves in defense of that government lying to you and becoming less transparent on a daily basis as provided by the 2nd, but rather to defend yourselves from EACH OTHER. That's what's known as oxymoronic but you can skip the oxy part if you wish to be more accurate.
Just to pull the claimed moral high ground out from underneath you. Whether you permit people to carry weapons to protect themselves against evil doers, or prohibit people from carrying weapons because of harm they can cause, both are the results of fear.

You don't ban people owning weapons because they make you happy. You ban people from owning weapons because you fear the damage that can be done. You don't carry a gun because you think it's a natty fashion accessory, you carry a gun because you fear being assaulted.

In one scenario you protect yourself, in the other you expect to be protected.

One is individualist, the other collectivist.

Both intend to result in the same goal, that being that people who are not committing crimes are not injured.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:13 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
[quote=RaleighLass;36745688]You could have at least added an intelligent comment to this thread rather than the ridiculous, and in poor taste pic of a re-enactor redcoat.

BTW - you will have to look hard to find a Brit that cares to defend Britain, or can even relate to the references people make about America fighting for its independence from Britain. And how it kicked "us" out. Modern day Brits who pay attention to this history (most don't) have long respected the courage those "new" Americans had. No doubt, many would have been there with them had they lived in that period. Remember, those new Americans were mostly from the UK, or a generation or so removed from G. Britain & Ireland.

Today, Brits honestly don't think about the war for American independence. It doesn't come up in conversation over there like it does here. They don't feel it impacted the lives of them or their ancestors - it didn't change anything for the everyday working folks unlike it did for Americans who rightly are aware of this. Brits are far more aware of the impact and consequences of WWI & WWII. And, as far as America goes, Brits have more compassion for the plight of Native Americans considering the suffering they went thru because of the "new" Americans. And, they have long rooted for African Americans to have equality and be truly respected as full American citizens. These are things the folks from the UK have cared about. Not abt losing some war that they didn't care about that was part of King's plan for his empire.

So, send your comments/pics to the Queen,

They may have compassion but they should study history,, They Celts, Picts, all cultures destroyed or subjugated by other cultures that were on the island. And don't even talk the plight of the black man in America! The Brits wanted the South to win more than anyone and were within a hair or recognizing the CSA as a nation which would have assured a separated Nation. AND don't forget to mention the Welsh Scotch or Catholics in Northern Ireland. Just like other children we learned our nasty habits form our parents.....

Old 10-04-2014, 04:17 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,478 times
Quote:
Yes but how can we trust your numbers? It's been proven that your government cooks the books on crime stats.
it has? By whom and where?

Quote:
Accept that your gun crime rates have doubled since handguns were banned. I'd say that's worse off. You certainly aren't better for it.
No they haven't. The UK is safer today than 20 years ago...

Old 10-04-2014, 04:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
How about the Brits mind their own business. Britain is about as relevant as Mongolia now a days.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Just to pull the claimed moral high ground out from underneath you. Whether you permit people to carry weapons to protect themselves against evil doers, or prohibit people from carrying weapons because of harm they can cause, both are the results of fear.

You don't ban people owning weapons because they make you happy. You ban people from owning weapons because you fear the damage that can be done. You don't carry a gun because you think it's a natty fashion accessory, you carry a gun because you fear being assaulted.

In one scenario you protect yourself, in the other you expect to be protected.

One is individualist, the other collectivist.

Both intend to result in the same goal, that being that people who are not committing crimes are not injured.
You ain't pulling any rug out from under me at all as I'm not advocating for the banning of weapons of any kind. I belong firmly in the camp of "knock yourselves out". I've found no problem in places I've visited welcoming me with armed patrols with SMG's in their airports as early as the late 70's. No problem with armed patrols patrolling the beaches I've relaxed upon. No problem being faced with a jeep and a M2 .50 cal aimed at my windshield as I've rounded a curve in the road and being asked for papers and a small bribe.

Just one thing though; those were all chit-hole countries.

Now as to the fear thingy; I totally disagree, as I'm lucky enough to live in a country that still has a measure of respect for each other and the rule of law .....SO FAR! I'm old enough and wise enough to understand all things change and only some for the better.

I do not expect to be protected because I do not expect in my remaining lifetime to be occasioned to need to be. Ergo; no fear whatsoever.

As I've attempted to explain, I would not FEAR firearms becoming more prevalent with reasonable required background checks, but rather would feel nothing but disappointment that my country was going down the crapper so as to occasion the prevalent fear to desire a firearm to carry for personal defense.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM

52,244 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
How about the Brits mind their own business. Britain is about as relevant as Mongolia now a days.
I have to sort of agree.

Brits have lost their stones.... Those boys used to run roughshod over the whole damn world...... America gets the rap of being the villains of the last century, but pick up a history book, the Brits have done more thought out history in terms of raping terrorizing and colonizing areas all over the world.

There's a reason that the phrase "The sun never sets on the British empire" was created....

Old 10-04-2014, 04:40 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
I've always wondered about how Schools in Britian taught lessons on the American revolt. Thanls for the insight...

"How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty from the drivers od slaves?"......

Someone over there said this when the Revolution was startiing up. I read that somewhere and it's stuck with me ever since. lol.
Interesting quote on slavery. where I come from in the northern UK, from the 1700's, they stood against slavery. Many mill workers went on strike in support of freeing slaves. This articles shares only some highlights of their story. these people were poor to begin wit,h but were willing to sacrifice to show support for slaves. Its a story I wish more Americans knew of More on British Mill Workers’ Stand Against American Slavery | SARAH PARKER REMOND: A Daughter of Salem, Massachusetts

It's been a long, long times since I attended school in the UK. But from what I recall, we might have spent 20 minutes (tops) on the American war for independence(?). You have to realize the amount of history that Brit kids have to learn. There were many battles, wars, and monarchs to learn about and memorize all the dates. There simply wasn't any focus on America's independence as many countries became independent from England

We've always looked at America as the country that has so much wealth and resources. As well as, at one time, maybe still now, the coolest cars And the place where, no matter your background, if you are willing to work for it, you can obtain an excellent college education, build wealth, and own land larger than a mini car

We also were reminded as kids that we owe America a debt of gratitude for helping us in WWII. We were told that if it wasn't for the Yanks, we'd be speaking German now The reality is, that if it hadn't been for Pearl Harbor being bombed, the Yanks might never have baled us out. But, I will always remain grateful they did, and honor the lives of Americans who fought for the UK and mainland Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies