Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,286,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Has nothing to do with conservatism...

i dont think there is a nation in this world that continues to allow slavery, its been banished world wide because it was wrong, not because every country had civil wars to abolish it.

The only thing not known is how long it would have taken to disban slavery in the country but its ridiculous to think that without the civil war, we'd continue to have it today.

It was falling apart on its own, mostly due to the invention of the cotton gin, and other modernizations which took place.
Yes and no. Over time, slavery certainly lost the appeal it once had, however, quite a few African countries still allowed (and had) slavery until very recently. Even some of the places where it is outlawed still have it due to lax enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,548,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...actual ancestors that survived slavery. And I have just as much right to claim it as any Jew that has ancestors that survived the Holocaust.
First, yes. This. I claim it, absolutely.

I'm *proud* of it. I'm just not proud of the people who lose their minds because they see me walking down the street.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:19 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,177,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I bet you would volunteer to be a chattel slave because they were "treated decently," huh? Who cares if they were considered less than fully human? What the hell were they complaining about? Mason says they were treated decently enough for a piece of property, after all.

This post is the perfect example of the kind of whitewashing the Conservatives want to do to the history curriculum. Slaves were HAPPY! They loved being the property of white men! Who wouldn't??

Conservatives are an embarrassment to the country.
You didn't disprove any of the statements that Mason wrote. You just resorted to emotionalism and name calling. You are the one who started a thread based on a false premise and over generalizations, yet you seem to think that you are somehow superior when you can't even properly debate someone.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:19 PM

47,036 posts, read 26,117,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
Letting the old supporters of Jim Crow die off isn't exactly "ridding themselves".
Ditching the Dixiecrats was. And the Southern Strategy rather throws some mud on the GOP's escutcheon in this regard, no?

Old 10-05-2014, 02:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,127,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
please quote for me statements made by them to indicate they would vote for slavery so I can consider what you said factual and not just hate..
I never said they would "vote for slavery." I said

Quote:
To an Originalist like Scalia or Clearance Thomas, Dred Scott absolutely was decided correctly.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,287,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
We absolutely did end slavery voluntarily.

It was a voluntary decision by the majority of the citizens of the United States. I'm not sure why you think the fact that some citizens disagreed and fought against this decision prevents if from being voluntary.

In South America, Central America and Mexico and many of the worst New World slave countries it was the slaves themselves who revolted against their oppressors. We on the other hand fought a bloody civil war amongst ourselves in order to end the practice.
You're half right, but I'll concede the point on volunteerism somewhat.

I mean, one could look at it that way i guess.

I wouldn't call it voluntarily, but whatever.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,287,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I never said they would "vote for slavery." I said
You didn't but I will. I have no doubt about how Scalia and Thomas would vote in that case.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,906,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
We tend to forget, this was, among other things, one of the more stupid wars in history. Based on a mistake that, as you said, was bound to fail eventually (It would certainly take time...but anyone even mentioning the South winning is talking out of their behind), where the North was nearly guaranteed a victory, but the South made the first strike, all over the distrust of a President's promise, and pure fanaticism.

There were, in theory, better, far better alternatives, but nope.

Although, I guess many, if not most, wars are based on sheer idiocy, rather than...Hm. Can't come up with another reason, actually. It should be a last choice - and it's a choice I always hate to take. So I know what you mean.

I do have to disagree about Lincoln, Grant, and Sherman, though. They were dealing with an attack by traitors (no offense to you), that literally enslaved a third of their own population. If we get to 0/3...that's a win for humanity, right?

That's what being a hero is. You do ugly things, but for the greater good - even if you don't deserve it. You ever see the 11PM News clip of some firefighter that saved 3 kids who says "I'm no hero." Nah, at some point, you are. And I think "Destroyed formal slavery based on skin color." qualifies.

I dunno what to say bout guys like Lee. Um...They worked for their States, back when that was more important than...freedom for all?

Indeed.
No offense taken--I wasn't there.....(thank God for small favors)!

There may have been much better alternatives, but we'll never know. I never really thought about it until I had a temporary field assignment near Jackson, MS, in the early 1980s.

MS is as deep south as you can get. They bleed their southern slave past, and reminders are everywhere. When we went down to Biloxi to see Jefferson Davis' Beauvoir (sp?) estate, the place just really creeped me out.

There were slave quarters on the grounds, and all of the old museum paraphernalia in the house. I swear I could feel the spirits of the slaves who built that estate, and the hair just stood up on the back of my neck.

I couldn't get out of there fast enough and back HOME. Just....EWWW.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 10-05-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 02:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,127,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You didn't but I will. I have no doubt about how Scalia and Thomas would vote in that case.
Of course, if Scalia or Thomas were on the Court in 1857 - and if they were true to their (wackadoodle) philosophy of Constitution interpretation - they absolutely would have voted with the majority that black people could not be citizens of the United States.

I wasn't saying that today Scalia and Thomas would "vote for slavery" as pghquest is falsely accusing me of having said.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:35 PM

1,259 posts, read 830,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
The Dixiecrats weren't dumped, they left on their own.
They were practically dumped as the policies they supported were taken out of the DNC's agenda.

Anyway, even though they were democrats, they were conservatives not liberals.

Conservatives are responsible for slavery and Jim Crow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies