Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 09:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
Today, or if they were on the court in 1857?
Then even knowing what they know now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 09:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Statements of racial equality being politically unpopular is a MASSIVE cop out. You simply find it inconvenient & you don't want him to have believed those things, but he did. Accept reality.

I agree with you that his reason for waging the Civil War was to preserve the Union, not because he cared about Blacks.
I already told you that what he felt personally about blacks isn't important. It's probably no different than how you feel. Big deal.

What matters are his actions.

Even if emancipating slaves wasn't the goal, it ended up being part of the deal.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:00 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Know-Nothings were the Tea Party of Lincoln's time. It's impossible to read that passage and not understand how Republican Abraham Lincoln was part of the Liberal party of his time.
The Know-Nothing here is you. There is nothing whatsoever racist about the Tea Party. What race was the Tea Party candidate for President? Black. What happened when Breitbart offered a huge cash reward for any evidence of Tea Party racism? Nobody could find a thing. Idiots can paint the Tea Party as racist until the cows come home but it won't ever change the fact that no racist statements, racist actions, or racist stances have ever actually come from the Tea Party itself. This is just a case of "let's repeat a bald faced lie 10,000 times and maybe it will catch on"

Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,301,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Your post reminds me of a famous dialogue between a Union soldier and a Confederate after a battle. The Confederate soldier asks the Union soldier why he is fighting and the Union soldier says "To preserve the Union and free the slaves".

The Union soldier then asks the confederate soldier the same thing. The confederate soldier says "I'm fighting because you're down here".

Btw, two thirds of Civil War deaths were by disease.
What utter ignorance.

This whole thread is filled with people who don't want to know.

Your phony story is epically meaningless.

We don't have to guess no speculate about the southern states reason for the war.

They clearly state in the source documents in their declarations of war that the continuation and expansion of slavety was the goal and their reason for wanting to leave the union.

This is not a matter of opinion. This is peoe wallowing in ignorance like you with phony antecdotes while ignoring the plain history in the source documents of the states that wanted to leave the union.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:12 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. The Constitution says you cant just leave the union,and if you really want to argue the wording in the Constitution, we do have the federalist papers to back it up.

2. If the North had lost the war then the United States would have still said that no state had the right to leave the union.

3. If slavery was the disagreement then the war was over slavery, its that simple.
I agree with you. It's worth noting the Constitution of the Confederate States of America did not allow for secession either which makes the 'secession argument' as specious as the States' Rights one. The only disagreement over States' Rights was over the right to own people as property. The right for individual States to own people as property was codified in the Constitution of the CSA.

Is this what is meant by the 'Lost Cause' argument? I honestly don't know & would appreciate insights.

I think if one reviews the history dispassionately, logically, reasonably, the reasons for the American Civil War become more apparent, transparent even. Although if you look around you, this perspective doesn't have impact on an emotional level, the 'Lost Cause' seems to appeal to the emotions.

I also wonder if we in the US are the only peoples that continue to stage re-enactments, celebrations, et cetera of our Civil War? It seems strange.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:22 AM

This whole thread is full of the lost causes greatest hit/lies about the civil war.

First lost cause lie, Lincoln didn't want to free the slaves so the war wasn't about slavery.

This lie is supported by a direct quote from Lincoln.

Here is the truth, Lincoln didn't control why the southern states wanted to leave the union. And they wanted to leave the union because they viewed the election of an abolitionist like Lincoln from a party founded on ending slavery to be the death knell for slavery which they wanted continued and expanded.

See when you ignore reality you dishonestly focus on one speech while ignoring why the Republican Party was founded and Lincoln's position on slavety which riled up the slave states.

Also, Lincoln's position on ending slavery clearly evolved over the course of the war.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I agree with you. It's worth noting the Constitution of the Confederate States of America did not allow for secession either which makes the 'secession argument' as specious as the States' Rights one. The only disagreement over States' Rights was over the right to own people as property. The right for individual States to own people as property was codified in the Constitution of the CSA.

Is this what is meant by the 'Lost Cause' argument? I honestly don't know & would appreciate insights.

I think if one reviews the history dispassionately, logically, reasonably, the reasons for the American Civil War become more apparent, transparent even. Although if you look around you, this perspective doesn't have impact on an emotional level, the 'Lost Cause' seems to appeal to the emotions.

I also wonder if we in the US are the only peoples that continue to stage re-enactments, celebrations, et cetera of our Civil War? It seems strange.
The lost cause as I know it is the reclamation project to distort why the civil war was fought.

This mantle was quickly picked up by southerners and allowed by northerners almost immediately after the war.

This was done to obscure that the south fought a war killing hundreds of thousands of Americans to continue a system of evil against millions of Americans.

The lost cause revisionist history is purely an appeal to emotion for many white southerners and evidently a huge percentage of conservatives who want to sanitize the history.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 AM

Second lost cause lie black confederate soldiers.

This lie has been debunked so many times that it's reappearance in every lost causers revisionist history is embarrassing.

Just think the south viewed black people as fundamentally and inherently inferior, they were adamant that black people were unfit to fight a war.

Yet lost causers believe that the racist southern states armed thousands of black soldiers.

You can't get anymore embarrassing and irrational and dishonest to believe that crap

It would be like saying thousands of Jewish people fought for the nazis.

It doesn't fit because of course the nazis wouldn't arm Jewish people.

And it's very clear that southern racists wouldn't arm black people.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Nazis wished to exterminate Jews. Confederates wished to dominate blacks. You do see the difference and why comparing the two as similar weakens your position.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Third lost cause lie, slavery wasn't really that bad. Most of the slaves were treated decently.

This nation was founded on taxation without representation. Meaning that a government that taxes you without representing your interests is such a grievous injury which justifies killing and war.

Now in that same nation lost causers lie and pretend the reality of being enslaved wasn't by definition being biolently and horrendously mistreated.

The only way to maintain slavery is through violence and control.

There is no other means to say to another human being I own you and you will do whatever I want because I own you and I can do whatever I want to you.

To not understand this about slavery is Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies