Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Just like I purchased a service from the mason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just like I purchased a service from the mason.
Did you pay the mason to perform a service? You seemed to skip over that point. Which if you paid a service, then the mason simply decided to show the customer how to do their own job...that doesn't sound like he didn't want to tell you his knowledge.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM

LOL, do you think the mason came to my house for nothing? A guy with his experience makes uber bucks, they don't come cheap.

You need to read carefully what you are commenting on and stop making assumptions. He was paid to lay a foundation which is not something for the inexperienced to do. The tips and tricksI learned from him will help me with some future smaller projects. I traded some labor for some experience. This was all made clear in my previous posts.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Why would I continue to work for free once I've gained the knowledge I need? This may surprise you but many people like the mason I helped would decline that offer because they don't want to give up that knowledge or you may be more of a hindrance.About the only reason I got way with it was because he was aware I knew how to work.
Quote:
LOL, do you think the mason came to my house for nothing? A guy with his experience makes uber bucks, they don't come cheap.

You need to read carefully what you are commenting on and stop making assumptions.
Interesting, you never made any mention that the mason you helped was doing work on your house. So in other words, you didn't work for free, you paid him to do a job and he showed you how to do that job.

So you contradict yourself by saying the mason doesn't want to give up knowledge, yet he is willing to give up knowledge to a customer.

You need to properly write what you are saying if you wish others to have all of the facts. I am not a mind reader, nor did I know he was working on your house because you never mentioned you were a paying customer.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Interesting, you never made any mention that the mason you helped was doing work on your house.

Certainly I did, you even quoted it. LOL

Big Government alive and well in CA

Your circular style of arguing a point is always going to bite you in the ass because if you keep going in a circle eventually you get back to where you started.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
The SCOTUS had already ruled that unpaid internships that meet certain criteria are NOT in violation of the FLSA. California also allows unpaid internships that meet the criteria. Our boys in Sacramento just want their cut in most cases.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Certainly I did, you even quoted it. LOL

Big Government alive and well in CA
Well then I missed that, I apologize. Though this doesn't change the fact that you were a customer, not an unpaid worker because you were actually paying the mason to do work for you and he was willing to let the customer help him with his work. That is much different than working for free, like you were claiming you did.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The SCOTUS had already ruled that unpaid internships that meet certain criteria are NOT in violation of the FLSA. California also allows unpaid internships that meet the criteria. Our boys in Sacramento just want their cut in most cases.
Maybe they should have gone the route of unpaid internship rather than volunteer help for a for profit company.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf

Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What if one of them injured themselves on the job, is the winery going to pay for the medical bills because of workers comp? They violated the law and needed to rely on unpaid labor to survive. Not a successful winery if you ask me.
I would think liability would be thought out beforehand. If one volunteers there should be an agreement and it would depend on the agreement. Workers comp is insurance, so not sure of your point. Are you asking if volunteers are covered for injury? People can be injured walking down the street should they not walk down the street? Don't see how this really relates to the topic.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I would think liability would be thought out beforehand. If one volunteers there should be an agreement and it would depend on the agreement. Workers comp is insurance, so not sure of your point. Are you asking if volunteers are covered for injury?
Yes that is what I am asking, based on the article, it sounded like there wasn't any legal paperwork done that would have made their volunteer work okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies