Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

It didn't say if they planned to hold a similar debate in English nor if it would be translated into English.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:40 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The country is turning Hispanic. Spanish will eventually become the dominant language.
No, it won't. The second and third generation Hispanics will speak English.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.
American names like Fiorello LaGuardia and Mario Cuomo?

Also, what's considered an American name? An English name? A name from the Bible(like Juan)? A Germanic or Celtic or Latin name? America is just a mutt to begin with...

Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
This is what happens when you have open borders. The disingration of a nation as european nations are finding out as well!

http://rt.com/usa/193944-california-...ebate-spanish/

Record 61.8 million residents in U.S. speak langauge other than English at home.

One in five in the U.S. don't speak English at home, immigration report says - Washington Times
Let's see, one has to be a citizen to vote and one has to know English to become a naturalized citizen. I don't get it!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Vector 1 - I respectfully disagree. The first generations tended to stay in their "own" communities with familiar language and culture. The next generations spread out and were assimilated into the mainstream language culture. Recent Hispanic immigrants have ghettoized because of their poverty, illegality (that somehow is ignored by their employers) and antiquated version of Catholicism. I expect their children and grandchildren will become more like the mainstream culture than their parents.

I also expect the extremists of "Angrywhitemenistan" will eventually die off of age and irrelevancy and the "American" culture will chance into something different but most likely better than our current corrupt Corporatocracy dominated by sleezeballs that take advantage of of the ignorant and frightened in FauxNoiseistan.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:48 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,827 times
Seems like california should be renamed Mexifornia.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed. But I'm not worried. If it is one thing we are very good at, it is adapting.

[the weak and those unwilling to adapt will die]
I see, so citizens should adapt to immigrants rather than the other way around?

Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I beg to differ with you.
Most immigrants who came to this country that spoke a different language wanted to assimilate. Whether it be the Germans, Polish, Irish, Italians, etc., they decided they wanted to be full fledged Americans and made sure their children not only spoke the native tongue, but also gave them American names. That is one of the reasons they have been successful in this country.
Revisionism.

European immigrants held FIERCELY to their languages and customs.

This bears repeating...

The height of German immigration was around 1870...

So why were there 700 German newspapers in circulation in this country in 1917...Almost 50 years after the peak German immigration years?

Assimilate my butt.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
As you clearly demonstrate, Dems have the Latino vote.

I applaud a debate in Spanish that can better educate and inform our Latino population.
So what will this mean, people who run for office need to be bilingual now? It does put one candidate at a disadvantage if his words and meanings are being interpreted for him by someone else. If it's to be fair, then both candidates debate in English and they use the same person to translate what they say.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Vector 1 - I respectfully disagree. The first generations tended to stay in their "own" communities with familiar language and culture. The next generations spread out and were assimilated into the mainstream language culture. Recent Hispanic immigrants have ghettoized because of their poverty, illegality (that somehow is ignored by their employers) and antiquated version of Catholicism. I expect their children and grandchildren will become more like the mainstream culture than their parents.

I also expect the extremists of "Angrywhitemenistan" will eventually die off of age and irrelevancy and the "American" culture will chance into something different but most likely better than our current corrupt Corporatocracy dominated by sleezeballs that take advantage of of the ignorant and frightened in FauxNoiseistan.
Again, you have to be able to speak English to become a citizen and vote and those citizens that have been here for some time do know English so just whom are they trying to reach in Spanish?

Please knock of the racist remarks. It's not just white Americans that want immigrants to assimilate to our country's language and to retain our identifying culture. There isn't a damned thing ignorant about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies