Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Why do they need leaders?
Exactly. All this republican talk has me talking about "THE LEADERS" like they do.

Thanks for the post (all this LEADER talk is stupid.)
Chad.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The point is... when you are black, IT DOES NOT MATTER. YOU CAN BE KILLED BY POLICE AT ANY TIME!
Dr. Ben Carson and radio talk show host and author Larry Elder presented this a few weeks ago; for every black man killed by police, 50, 60, or 70 black men are killed by another black man. Where is the outrage over this carnage? This weekend tally the body count in places like Chicago, Detroit, or St. Louis of young black males killed by another young black man, although very unlikely will be found Al or Jesse making speeches.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:26 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Black people 'rally against violence' by rioting and destroying neighborhoods which has been happening for decades, far preceding Obama. This fantasy that all they do is peacefully protest civil rights violations hasn't happened since Martin Luther King. Now you have Al Sharpton inciting violence.
A perfect illustration of brazen racism. Al Sharpton openly states the need for non-violence, and you rush out and state that he's "inciting violence".

Thanks, Haakon, you are the problem here.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
This is getting ridiculous.

Since the unfortunate events in Ferguson, it seems like everyday there is a news story with the exact same theme: Black male shot/tased/pepper sprayed by police. Some of these incidents absolutely do require scrutiny to make sure that the police didn't overstep their bounds.

However, there is an important conversation that no one in the black community seems to be having. Every incident that I have read about would have been avoided if the person who got shot/tased/pepper sprayed would have cooperated with the police.

Whether you love them or hate them, in our civil society, police officers are authority figures. When a police officer tells you to stop, you have to stop. If they tell you to put your hands up and you fail to do so, it is at your own peril.

Why aren't the so called "leaders" in the black community talking about this? Al Sharpton will do a triple back flip across traffic to get in front of a TV camera. If he really cared about black kids, he would tell them not to fight with the police so they can live. Unfortunately, he is a narcissistic charlatan that does nothing but perpetuate problems and make money for himself. Who else is there?

The president is in a unique position to communicate positive messages to black youth. He doesn't. While he hasn't been afraid to weigh in on issues of race, he always says things like:

"The Cambridge Police acted stupidly." (referring to the arrest of his buddy Skip Gates, an Afi who did not cooperate with the police when they were trying to protect HIS property)

"If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon"

The same can be said of Eric Holder. He went to Ferguson to calm things down and shared stories of when HE was allegedly targeted by the police because of race. How does this help?

Please tell me, am I missing something? There are plenty of African-Americans in high profile positions. They could use there visibility to SAVE THE LVIES of black youths. How about doing PSAs about not fighting with cops and/or doing other things that can get you killed. Do none of them care? Do they really believe that none of these kids are at all to blame?
The black community is doing this to themselves. They don't like to hear anything bad about themselves. The only way for someone to become a leader is to have people follow him. When people aren't willing to follow anybody who tells them bad news, then the consequence is you're not going to get a black leader who is going to be capable of solving any problems.

It's like if students got to choose their own teachers and you had a teacher who gave everyone an A. The students will choose that teacher and consequently those students will never learn. They'll just keep getting A's for wrong answers.

The founders said in the very beginning that the American government required a virtuous populace in order to work. 250 years later, the populace isn't virtuous anymore. And that includes the black community. The problem with the black community is their own culture, but they don't want to be told that. They'd rather be told that they are poor victims of racism, so they pick leaders who will tell them what they want to hear.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:43 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
This thread is utter nonsense. What exactly is this "black" community?

There are different groups of African origin in the U.S. African-Americans, Africans, Afro-Caribbeans, Afro-Latinos etc. While the majority belong to the first group, people of African origin in the U.S. are a multicultural/ethnic, multilingual, multireligious group.

Why do all these people need a couple people to follow? You people are so racial, and you know nothing else but race. Guess that is your culture but not much of one.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:52 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
listen folks. I don't even know where to begin. This situation is so beyond our comprehension that I really doubt that we will ever be clear of it. There are so many layers involved and I have sat on 3 sides of the fence.

Let me give you a break down:

I was born of Caribbean black parents in NY and grew up in an all black neighborhood in Queens NYC until 11.
Went to live in New Jersey with my father in an all white neighborhood and 1 town over from one of the wealthiest zip codes in the US- Alpine, NJ, up until 19 but still visited my mother in NY.
Lived in 7 countries traveling in the military and held a top secret clearance
Became a police officer in 1 of the highest crime rated/lower class cities in south Florida
Now work for the US Government in DC

I, as a kid, was told by my own great grandmother, who is as dark as chris rock, to stay away from black Americans because they are bums. I have seen white officers on my shift chase after black youth and inflict excessive force. Those that reported such incidents were black balled by the shift.

I was born into hip hop in the late 70s and went to school next to LL Cool J's house. I wore the saggy pants and fitted caps, cross colors, skids and z Cavaricci when I moved to jersey being the only black kid in my school. Went from listening to rap to guns & roses when I moved to jersey in the late 80s.

I have sat on every inch of the fence and most people, black or white, have no clue as to what is really happening. Why? because most see things from their own angle. There is a total disconnect when it comes to racism and social class. There is not only a divide between races but in the thought process and it comes from somewhere- it happens even between black cultures. It's there and IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE.

Im going to tell you something that will blow your mind. The mother of my child is from Russia. My daughter draws the family and colors me brown. My own mother was surprised when my own daughter told my mother that she, my mother, was brown, my daughter's mother is white and she, my daughter called herself white. I was like where did this come from! Now, you put her into a school where she now notices the racial class differences, she is learning this stuff earl on in life. She tells me that she expected her sitter, who is Latina, to have more detail in her house and be more organized compared to her white friends. And she is only 5 going on 6. But thankfully, I ensure that she is exposed to all colors and cultures to prevent any unwanted potential outcome.

So yeah, it's not so simple as we want it to be. No "leader" is going to make any type of difference when it is even happening inter-culturally.
Good post...agree.

Glad you are exposing your daughter to diverse cultures and hopefully more than just American life. Beyond color, these children need exposure to culture(s). Without it, their culture can largely become confined to race or racial thought. I endeavor to do the same as you with my future children.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
This thread is utter nonsense. What exactly is this "black" community?

There are different groups of African origin in the U.S. African-Americans, Africans, Afro-Caribbeans, Afro-Latinos etc. While the majority belong to the first group, people of African origin in the U.S. are a multicultural/ethnic, multilingual, multireligious group.
And they are all BLACK, any way you try to look at it.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 AM

59,077 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We don't need "leaders" anymore. We need some blacks to take responsibility.

And we also don't need threads and posts like this bitching about what the black community does or doesn't do with little need from those who are NOT black and not going to do anything about it...
"And we also don't need threads and posts like this..."

In other words we shouldn't talk about things unless we have personal involvement in the issue.

Now THAT is the way to solve problems, NOT!

So when there was all the hoopla about "Christie gate" anyone NOT living in NJ should have just shut the hell up!

Or how about Gov. Walker.

Or Gov. Blokovich (spelling)

Or Sara Palin.

Closed minds NEVER let anything.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:27 AM

59,077 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
First off the black community has a lot of great leaders but the news outlets and the media rather like the Sharptons and the Jacksons....They give them the lead stories so someone best ask why the liberal media is so fond of pushing them as leaders...
As for the cops apparently the same media people have an eye out for any shortcomings they have and ignore the 99.9% of excellent service.....There is an agenda not confined to the black community,,rather driven by outside interest and agitators......
But of course the media will never report on their own sins,,if there isn't a good story,make one seems to be their motto.......As for the police attitudes....
Police departments are not secular,they do the bidding of the political jurisdiction they reside under....Point your finger where the problems come from...
Opine from a PA white assed old man.....
It's damn shame our illustrious national media NEVER seems to find story's like these worth airing:

Does anyone remember Detective Melvin Santiago? He was a Jersey City police officer who was shot to death just a month ago, on July 13th. Santiago was white. His killer, Lawrence Campbell, was black. Does anyone recall Obama appearing before national television and calling for justice for Officer Santiagos family?

Does anyone recall Eric Holder rushing to Jersey City to see that justice was done?

How about Officer Jeffrey Westerfield. He was a Gary, Indiana police officer who was shot to death last month on July 6th. Westerfield was white. His killer, Carl LeEllis Blount, Jr. was black.

Where was Obama?

Where was Holder?

Or Officer Perry Renn? He was an Indianapolis, Indiana police officer who was shot to death just last month on July 5th, the day before Officer Westerfield was killed. Officer Renn was white. His killer, Major Davis, was black. I don't recall any mention by Obama about the untimely death of Officer Renn. And, I doubt that Eric Holder rushed to Indianapolis to make sure justice was done. Or, maybe I just missed it.

Vermillion Parish Deputy Sheriff Allen Bares was gunned down by two men just last June 23rd in Louisiana. Deputy Bares was white. His two killers, Quintlan Richard and Baylon Taylor, were black.

Was Obama outraged?

Did Eric Holder rush to Louisiana to make sure that the family of Deputy Bares found justice?

Right here in our own state, Detective Charles Dinwiddie of the Killeen (Texas) Police Department was murdered by Marvin Lewis Guy, a black male. Officer Dinwiddie was white. This happened on May 11th, just over two months ago. I don't even recall seeing anything about that on the news.

Certainly, the white citizens in Killeen didn't take to the streets to loot and burn businesses.

Again, I don't recall any mention by Obama or Holder.

Then, there is Officer Kevin Jordan of the Griffin, Georgia Police Department. He was gunned down just two months ago on May 31st. Officer Jordan was black. His killer, Michael Bowman, was white. This was a white man murdering a black police officer. Where was Jesse Jackson? Where was "The Reverend" Al Sharpton? Was there looting and burning on the streets of Griffin, Georgia? No.

In fact, I don't recall hearing about this one in the news, as well. Why?

You can draw your own conclusions.

Over the past 60 days, there have been five reported deaths of police officers by gunshot in the US. Of those, four were white officers who were murdered by black men.

Blacks complain that white officers threat black men more aggressively on the street.

You can draw your own conclusions on that one, as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:49 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"And we also don't need threads and posts like this..."

In other words we shouldn't talk about things unless we have personal involvement in the issue.

Now THAT is the way to solve problems, NOT! [what is this, 1992?]

So when there was all the hoopla about "Christie gate" anyone NOT living in NJ should have just shut the hell up!

Or how about Gov. Walker.

Or Gov. Blokovich (spelling)

Or Sara Palin.

Closed minds NEVER let anything.
Funny, seeing how it's usually closed minded, judgemental people who MAKE these threads.

You took what I said, picked parts out of it, and made your own broad generalization. Again:

Quote:
And we also don't need threads and posts like this bitching about what the black community does or doesn't do with little need from those who are NOT black and not going to do anything about it...
Typically on this forum, anytime we have a "blacks do this, blacks don't do that" type of thread (like this one) it's generally just to point out flaws in one race while making the other look somehow better in comparison. You think it helps blacks for someone on a random internet forum who more than likely has no idea what it is to be black in this country or what's even best for blacks to try and say something that isn't going to do anything but incite an argument?

THINK, dude. Just take a quick look at some of the responoses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies