Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
After you argued we should subsidize it.....
YOU are the one who wants subsidized education. Explain to me why rich people's kids should not get their share of the subsidy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Because private institutions are not designed to serve the public at large but merely their target audience. They can screen and reject students who apply so they are not serving a true public benefit, whereas public schools generally accept everyone. This is also why they appear on the surface to be higher performing, but it is easy to do that when you get first and second round draft picks all the time to use a sports metaphor. I also do not want my tax money going to 'proselytize via education' someone in the tenets of Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, Judaism or any other religion. Private schools can teach all the superstitions they want if they can stay accredited otherwise. It's a fair deal for them as far as autonomy is concerned. Now if they do want to take public tax dollars that means they will have to open up their boards and curriculum to public influence, via elected school board reps and other representative gov't.
Did you know that public schools can reject students, too?

Also, many private schools will accept almost anyone, even with disabilities, including learning disabilities.

I would know, my parents sent me to a private school for all of my education. We were not rich. In fact, we were quite poor and lived very cheap and simple so they could pay for school.

Maybe the difference between your vision and mine has nothing to do with fake arguments, like you made above, and is instead the fact that too many "parents" have no interest in their children's future.

I attended schools with 25 to 30 kids per single teacher, in crowded classrooms with ancient books and no technology. But I scored 99th percentile in the weighted (where the "hard" disciplines are weighted heavier) SAT scores my senior year. Without practice or preparation. With fellow students who language barriers, teachers who had only certificates, and even kids with learning disabilities, like dyslexia.

I am prepared to back up my oft-repeated statement that education has nothing to do with state policy, large spending, or fancy academic theories and everything to do with parental interest and involvement.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
YOU are the one who wants subsidized education. Explain to me why rich people's kids should not get their share of the subsidy?
They already do. Public schools are available to all students, regardless of income. That includes the rich.

You are arguing that we should help the rich attend the best schools, as if they need help..

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:

Also, many private schools will accept almost anyone, even with disabilities, including learning disabilities.

I would know, my parents sent me to a private school for all of my education. We were not rich. In fact, we were quite poor and lived very cheap and simple so they could pay for school.

Maybe the difference between your vision and mine has nothing to do with fake arguments, like you made above, and is instead the fact that too many "parents" have no interest in their children's future.

I attended schools with 25 to 30 kids per single teacher, in crowded classrooms with ancient books and no technology. But I scored 99th percentile in the weighted (where the "hard" disciplines are weighted heavier) SAT scores my senior year. Without practice or preparation. With fellow students who language barriers, teachers who had only certificates, and even kids with learning disabilities, like dyslexia.

I am prepared to back up my oft-repeated statement that education has nothing to do with state policy, large spending, or fancy academic theories and everything to do with parental interest and involvement.
Sounds very similar to the schools that I attended except that they were public.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:52 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:

Public schools can't reject any student. What area and school are you talking about

Old 10-14-2014, 11:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The best most expensive private school in India is only $106.54 per child.

Do you need explicit directions to a website to buy a plane ticket?

English is one of the 10 official languages in India.

Your child can get educated in India and then take the job of some lame-ass American who thinks they're entitled to everything.

Maybe you can get your pilot's license and operate a shuttle from the US to India.

You can call it "Air Ed."

Magically...

Mircea
Except that won't work. International schools, be it American or British, run about $30K/yr and that is no different in India. At the HS level you are looking at $40K+. Just for nursery school you are looking at $20K+.

Primary Section- Best School in Chennai, International School in Chennai, British School, Chennai Best Coaching School, Chennai Best Education School, Internation School, International, Good School, Good coaching in Chennai,Chennai Top 10 School, Sch
Tuition and fees

Old 10-14-2014, 11:36 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Think it through. OK im a private school, I have 100 students that are from rich families, and suddenly I get more money coming in. Do I reduce my rates? Of course not...I increase them so that we can continue to keep the riff raff out, and make even more money.
Most private schools are not rich, and more students means more programs, opportunties, and yes, money. Therefore, if they get a government subsidy like they do here (half that of the public school system), they keep don't jack up rates because they want more students in the school. Plus, in many cities we have competing private schools, so they can't just charge what they want lest they lose students to other schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icHcYNGXvjU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies