Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I put this into google and got over 70,000 hits.

"Brantly's first ebola test was negative"
I used "initial" instead of "first", and while lots of links showed up, when I read them they didn't say anything about his initial test. Then, when I put quotation remarks around the phrase, it came back with zero hits. Just switching "first" for "initial". Gah! I feel stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I used "initial" instead of "first", and while lots of links showed up, when I read them they didn't say anything about his initial test. Then, when I put quotation remarks around the phrase, it came back with zero hits. Just switching "first" for "initial". Gah! I feel stupid!
Nah..you have to think about Americans today.

"first" is an easy word to understand then "initial".

Dumbed down America needs dumbed down words.

Average reading level in the US is 8th grade.
So think like an 8th grader when typing phrases into google.

Unless, of course, you know you are searching for content of a higher education level.

But the major MSM articles are written to 8th grade reading level.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh, I do think that if a state requires a quarantine, then yeah, they damn well better make sure that doesn't adversely impact that person's income, job, or livelihood. I agree with you on that.

I think Doctors Without Borders pays income for the incubation period to encourage their members to stay out of the public but I'm not 100% sure on that. However, state mandated quarantine? Then yeah, the state needs to pony up.
I got that off the Doctors without Borders web site. The stated purpose of not returning to work is rest. They understand the rigors of treating Ebola at the source and the toll that may take on the immune system.

The compensation paid by Doctors without Borders pales in comparison to real life earning potential of those employed by hospitals. The employee versus volunteer status thing is likely due to insurance.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The electronic fever scanner used at the airport detected a fever. A thermometer is considered a more accurate indication of fever and when it was used, she did not have a fever.

She was not given the option of leaving. Instead, she was isolated in a bubble, outside the hospital. The bubble contained a porta- potty. No shower. She insisted on keeping her i-phone.

She tested negative for Ebola, twice,
I hope a third test is not necessary.
Why do you say that? She can go positive at any time up to 21 days.

Quote:
If there is not enough virus in one's system to be detectable, how then could bodily fluids be contagious?

How it is possible that all of those who came into contact with Duncan before he was transferred to the ICU did not become sick? Same deal for nurse 1 and 2.
The same way one is contagious with flu, chickenpox, herpes and a host of other diseases before symptoms appear. Here is a great link that explains some of the terms and shows the incubation period and infectious period for various diseases.

Pediatric Advisor: Infections: Incubation and Contagious Periods
http://www.flu.gov/about_the_flu/seasonal/

We don't know why those other people didn't get sick. See this:
attack rate - definition of attack rate by Medical dictionary
and this:
Attack rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Gee, can you tell I spend a LOT of time on computers?? Both my job and my hobby. Yeah, I'm a total geek!

Yeah, I didn't know he tested negative - twice - while symptomatic. That's concerning.
Because the test wasn't sensitive enough.
Blood Test For Ebola Doesn't Catch Infection Early : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What search phrase did you use? I'm always trying to get geekier! (As if that's possible!)
Similar one but I initially spelled Dr. Brantly's last name wrong, adding an 'e'. Simply searching Dr. Brantly first Ebola test negative. Then I discarded any potential controversial sources before I settled on that one.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I think a lot of people disagreed with the isolation tent. That was unnecessary but conversely, I think you'll also find that most people agree some type of mandatory quarantine should be necessary for these returning workers. At home quarantine seems the most logical like Maine is doing but Hickox is still complaining about and has said plans to break.
Now she is on a quest, her 15 minutes of fame, no doubt fully supported by Doctors without Borders, an international organization located in Switzerland.

I am in complete agreement with her about her lack of contagiousness prior to developing obvious symptoms.

The odds favor her in terms of not having contracted Ebola, given the NY MD is the only healthcare worker who became sick after returning home, out of more than 700, disbursed all over the globe.

Having said this, she is 5.5 hours away from a major hospital, in Maine. The closest hospital is small, 49 beds. I wonder her Plan B, should it become necessary.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperthetic View Post
cia, all the way.
cia?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Now she is on a quest, her 15 minutes of fame, no doubt fully supported by Doctors without Borders, an international organization located in Switzerland.

I am in complete agreement with her about her lack of contagiousness prior to developing obvious symptoms.

The odds favor her in terms of not having contracted Ebola, given the NY MD is the only healthcare worker who became sick after returning home, out of more than 700, disbursed all over the globe.

Having said this, she is 5.5 hours away from a major hospital, in Maine. The closest hospital is small, 49 beds. I wonder her Plan B, should it become necessary.
She's playing a dangerous game.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
the home quarantine COULD work if they kept their butts home, but NONE of them have!!
so yea I say put them in isolation
Doctors without Borders says the NY MD was the first of 700 healthcare workers who returned to their home countries after being in the affected areas, to become sick.

I guess it's reasonable to assume that all of the returning 700 throughout the world, self-monitored but did not self quarantine.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Doctors without Borders says the NY MD was the first of 700 healthcare workers who returned to their home countries after being in the affected areas, to become sick.

I guess it's reasonable to assume that all of the returning 700 throughout the world, self-monitored but did not self quarantine.
Spencer LIED.
Duncan LIED.

Court order for Duncan's fiancé.
Court order for that lady news caster.

People LIE. And it doesn't take much that none of them will be trusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies