Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, common sense tells you, when you have such a disease, and you know it's possible that it could mutate, and when you don't know, how it spreads, you quarantine people......that is called PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE AND PROTECTING THE PEOPLE!

It isn't about some stupid war on health care workers, for God's sake, it's about taking care so it doesn't continue to spread. I don't know if it will spread, or if this worker has it, but common sense tells you, you nip it in the bud, by taking every possible precaution, which this morning when I heard Christie had done this I was proud he did it and even wrote my govenor, about it this am. Now Christie was strong armed by the workers lawyer, so, I propose, if the nut job that calls herself a health care worker does come down with it, charge her all the money it costs to not only take care of her but to quarantine all the people she comes in contact with.
So thoughtful, so rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Which says more about how misinformed, and readily misinformed at that, the vast majority of Americans are.
Thank goodness, we have so much more enlightened folks on here. Look, I see it as avoiding another AIDS debacle. We had an opportunity way back when to keep AIDS from becoming an epidemic and poor handling at the highest level of government caused it to become what it did (yes, that includes Reagan's inaction). I am risk adverse and would prefer our public health policy to be risk adverse as well.

I can understand, given the density issues of the NYC metro area, why these decisions were made by those leaders. I do not think it is giving into hysteria but rather understanding that the easiest method of controlling something is through prevention. They're trying to prevent Ebola from getting out into the general population and if voluntary quarantines keep being broken (e.g. Dr. Spencer, and that MSNBC woman), I can understand the motivation for making it compulsory.

It seems the majority of Americans are risk adverse like myself. Calling them misinformed or stupid or any other such thing may make you think you are intellectually superior. However, have you ever considered they want to ensure our government is spending effort on preventing spreading Ebola and that reflects their thinking on the issue? Oh, I am sure there are nutty prepper types out there flat out panicking. However, I believe the majority of people are simply being risk adverse which is a reasonable thing to be.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,586,985 times
Quote:
She is entitled to a due process before being detained and locked away.

She will test negative, until AND if she develops symptoms. And so is not contagious, until AND if she develops symptoms. The point of quarantine is to keep a contagion from spreading. Since she is not contagious until AND if she develops symptoms, quarantine does not keep her from spreading the disease. Which begs the question, why quarantine???? To punish people who traveled to West Africa to help treat those who are ill? Why do we want to punish those people?
Due process is based on circumstances and quarantines have been repeatedly upheld. She had a fever when she first arrived. That doctor was symptomatic and ran around for 3 days until he developed a fever and finally went to the hospital. We shouldn't rely on random people to simply self-report their symptoms, the stakes are far too high.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Cuomo clarified NY state policy and will allow non- symptomatic people returning via connecting flights who have had contact with Ebola to self quarantine, at home.

Nurse Hickox was electronically screened for fever upon her arrival at Newark.

Reportedly, that screen was not consistent with a subsequent thermometer temp. She was not symptomatic. It's reasonable to assume the medical records support the nurse's position, given her pushback.

Putting her in a tent was probably not the best way to manage the situation.
You mean he clarified after the White House intervened with political pressure.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, common sense tells you, when you have such a disease, and you know it's possible that it could mutate, and when you don't know, how it spreads, you quarantine people......that is called PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE AND PROTECTING THE PEOPLE!

It isn't about some stupid war on health care workers, for God's sake, it's about taking care so it doesn't continue to spread. I don't know if it will spread, or if this worker has it, but common sense tells you, you nip it in the bud, by taking every possible precaution, which this morning when I heard Christie had done this I was proud he did it and even wrote my govenor, about it this am. Now Christie was strong armed by the workers lawyer, so, I propose, if the nut job that calls herself a health care worker does come down with it, charge her all the money it costs to not only take care of her but to quarantine all the people she comes in contact with.
We know how it spreads.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Due process is based on circumstances and quarantines have been repeatedly upheld. She had a fever when she first arrived. That doctor was symptomatic and ran around for 3 days until he developed a fever and finally went to the hospital. We shouldn't rely on random people to simply self-report their symptoms, the stakes are far too high.
totally agree....can you imagine, all the women and children on that cruise, if that one selfish nurse would have tested positive....tell you what, that will only have to happen once, and then the people will decide....all those people with their children on that cruise ship will be angry and when people finally get angry, things change.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Thank goodness, we have so much more enlightened folks on here. Look, I see it as avoiding another AIDS debacle. We had an opportunity way back when to keep AIDS from becoming an epidemic and poor handling at the highest level of government caused it to become what it did (yes, that includes Reagan's inaction). I am risk adverse and would prefer our public health policy to be risk adverse as well.

I can understand, given the density issues of the NYC metro area, why these decisions were made by those leaders. I do not think it is giving into hysteria but rather understanding that the easiest method of controlling something is through prevention. They're trying to prevent Ebola from getting out into the general population and if voluntary quarantines keep being broken (e.g. Dr. Spencer, and that MSNBC woman), I can understand the motivation for making it compulsory.

It seems the majority of Americans are risk adverse like myself. Calling them misinformed or stupid or any other such thing may make you think you are intellectually superior. However, have you ever considered they want to ensure our government is spending effort on preventing spreading Ebola and that reflects their thinking on the issue? Oh, I am sure there are nutty prepper types out there flat out panicking. However, I believe the majority of people are simply being risk adverse which is a reasonable thing to be.
If Ebola gets into the gay male population, all bets are off.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
We know how it spreads.
THEY ARE NOT SURE....THEY SAID IT WAS THROUGH ONLY SALIVA, OR CONTACT WITH THE PERSON'S SWEAT, ETC....

HOWEVER, THEY ARE not sure about that, sorry for the caps, didn't know my caps thingy was on.

And regardless, even if they knew, to take precaution would be my first, initiative, to nip it in the bud....period. But it seems to me, people are not able to think like that...sure, walk around and infect others....that is our society today...they don't care about how they "May" be affecting the lives of so many others.

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Thank goodness, we have so much more enlightened folks on here.
It is reassuring.

13,302 posts, read 7,867,411 times
Quote:
We know how it spreads.
It only spreads to those people who are spreading it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies