Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Wow are you smart. What you meant to say was Obama won't allow a mandatory quarantine to be put in place. Chritie let her go because she left Jersey and became Maine's problem.
If she was such a risk, why would Christie let her go? She didn't just leave. She was released.

It was political. It's election time, and political figures are using quarantines to score political points. People are being used, because of fear, to score political points. It's heinous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Margaret Sanger shared the majority view of her time regarding black people. She was a product of her time, who believed medicine had a responsibility to address social ills as well as physical ailments. Naturally we don't agree with all of her views. She's from a bygone era. I'm sure if we studied Clara Barton she would have cultural and social views that we wouldn't agree with. Sanger's advocacy for birth control was very brave, especially in light of the public backlash against her.
It doesn't change how I feel about her. But I don't want to further derail this thread, so let's just say that's the way I feel and leave it at that.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are web sites encouraging the public to file complaints against her with Texas and Maine with the intent of revoking her licenses.
Just another way to discourage healthcare workers from volunteering. Because the public likes to play judge and jury. Thank goodness Americans have an actual court system that exists largely to rein in the public.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You may be correct however the "testing" was conducted in Africa and dubious? I cannot say for sure. I hope for her sake that she does not contract it. My understanding is that if you have had contact with the virus then you develop antibodies quickly. That's the way antibodies work.
Hmm. I don't think the location he was tested has much bearing on the results. If you look back several pages, there were other people who explained quite well why someone can get a negative result even if they later develop full blown Ebola.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I do not believe this nurse poses any health risk to the public.

I cannot imagine that a week ago, this nurse could have imagined that taking a bike ride in the wilderness of Maine was going to become an international media event.

I also know she could develop symptoms and need immediate medical attention. That she is a 5.5 hour drive from the closest major medical center, that may or may not be prepared to treat Ebola, makes absolutely no sense.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just another way to discourage healthcare workers from volunteering. Because the public likes to play judge and jury. Thank goodness Americans have an actual court system that exists largely to rein in the public.
Well, in fairness I think most medical professionals aren't going to make it such a public issue as Kaci Hickox has chosen to do. Some volunteer organizations do require quarantine upon returning. Doctors Without Borders suggests staying out of public, transport, and the like. I am sure someone, if motivated enough, could go and find the guidelines for each of these volunteer organizations.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For the most part I do not see people being hysterical. I see a lot of people following this Ebola story closely, because in history, what goes around tends to come around, even if in a small way. (Most) people are thinking deeply, reading various credible sources (not just the tabloids), questioning the inconsistencies in reports, checking up on the claims of the CDC, and, more than anything, wanting to err on the side of caution for the sake of public safety.

Someone like Nurse Kaci, even if she heartily disagrees with the measures, should, as a public health worker, at least not disparage efforts to keep the public safe. She could better use her quarantine time by staying at home the 10 more days and writing a researched article or two to disseminate to publications. That would occupy her in a professional way. Her willingness not to err on the side of caution would make her suspect as to how careful she was in the Ebola care setting. She appears bratlike and cavalier, and that is not a wise position to take. She may never get another job, for one thing.
Well Said.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Plain and simple, Kaci Hickox is an as$hole.
Some might say, an as$holette.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I was simply pointing out that testing negative for Ebola early in the incubation period is no guarantee she doesn't have Ebola. I know you have talked about misconceptions of the public quite a bit and that's one I've seen touted as an absolute that she doesn't have Ebola in various places. It's a misconception.
Agreed. There are lots of public misconceptions. But what we do know is that as long as she does test negative, she isn't spreading the virus. And the self-monitoring is designed to catch the onset of the virus within hours of symptoms, before she is shedding the virus. If even Duncan's relatives didn't catch it in the small Dallas apartment they shared with him, when he was getting very sick, then the self-monitoring which is designed to catch an infection well before the point where Duncan had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital means that the self-monitoring does an effective job of addressing the risk.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Thanks for trying to tell me how to think. NO thanks I have a better idea. Actually nurses have a lawful authority to break the law if we feel the law is counter to the health of the individual. She is asserting that right for herself. It's in our charter and our conscience. Guess you missed that.
That's an amazing authority granted to nurses I didn't know about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies