Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
That's a good point. Nurses take their marching orders on the job from someone else.

But the one nurse who flew after treating duncan and knowing her coworker got ebola...well, I think it's fair to say to that nurse "what in the world were you thinking?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'm not blaming her either outside of it was a bad decision that due to the seriousness fo the matter did cost others a lot of time & money that should & could have been avoided.

The CDC did not advise her to travel.
The may not have stopped her but they did not tell her to either.
Ms. Vinson consulted with the health authorities both before she went to Cleveland and before she came back. She even suggested coming back a day early and was told it wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, I doubt she infected anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,484,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Welcome to the Forum! You have earned your Junior Wingnut badge by cleverly blaming people born into hopeless squalor and poverty for the condition they are in. I don't suppose you can get your head around the idea that you could be them save for your good luck at being born in the USA. Maybe you will be one of Les Miserables in a future life. Let's hope so.
Not sure what a wingnut is but I think you've seen enough posts of mine that I don't subscribe to either side/don't play political "teams", think they are all selfish/out for their own butts. So now we can get off of politics.

I understand your viewpoint. People are hopeless/can't figure things out and need others to do it for them, not teaching them to fish/but give them fish as the solution. Perpetually. Luck and uncontrollable circumstances drive all future events in life. Got it.

Even when certain countries have had decades of money/help poured into their countries, they still can't get it right. Go figure. For the record, there have been many groups of people that have been born in bad situations/poverty conditions, have been hated for their ethnic backgrounds at one point(the Irish in Hells kitchen is one great example) and somehow figured it all out to rise above it all.

And as I've said many times already, there are many people/organizations over there volunteering their efforts and donating money to this and I think that's where it should remain. But keep our tax dollars out. For those who think there's not enough help or $ thrown at this still can step up to the plate and take a charter over there or mail a check out of their own funds. Walk the walk.

I guess you could say I'm an optimist/give credit to mankind to pull above it all if they really strive enough and don't look at things via a victim mentality, especially with so much $ aid/help many of these countries have been getting for a long time now.

Last edited by stevek64; 10-21-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 04:46 PM

40,968 posts, read 49,289,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
She wasn't too bad off to begin with. I was surprised that she was giving interviews and such from her hospital bed. They must have caught it very early with her.
Wonder whatever happened to her boyfriend. He has been under guard now for several weeks.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Not sure what a wingnut is but I think you've seen enough posts of mine that I don't subscribe to either side/don't play political "teams", think they are all selfish/out for their own butts. So now we can get off of politics.

I understand your viewpoint. People are hopeless/can't figure things out and need others to do it for them, not teaching them to fish/but give them fish as the solution. Perpetually. Luck and uncontrollable circumstances drive all future events in life. Got it.

Even when certain countries have had decades of money/help poured into their countries, they still can't get it right. Go figure. For the record, there have been many groups of people that have been born in bad situations/poverty conditions, have been hated for their ethnic backgrounds at one point(the Irish in Hells kitchen is one great example) and somehow figured it all out to rise above it all.

And as I've said many times already, there are many people/organizations over there volunteering their efforts and donating money to this and I think that's where it should remain. But keep our tax dollars out. For those who think there's not enough help or $ thrown at this still can step up to the plate and take a charter over there or mail a check out of their own funds. Walk the walk.

I guess you could say I'm an optimist/give credit to mankind to pull above it all if they really strive enough and don't look at things via a victim mentality, especially with so much $ aid/help many of these countries have been getting for a long time now.
Wingnut is not really political. My democrat congressman, Grijalva, is a wingnut IMO. One becomes one or acts like one when his biases and his ideology suppress his ability to think rationally. I don't know if you are there yet, but your solution to Ebola - let those Africans living in deplorable conditions die because it is just nature's way and they deserve it for not being born better - as well as your confidence that a passport program and a sniff test at the airport will keep the country safe suggest that, if you are not there yet, you are well on your way.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wonder whatever happened to her boyfriend. He has been under guard now for several weeks.
Got a link for that?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Is he in jail? She only took sick a week or so ago.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 PM

27,207 posts, read 15,378,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ms. Vinson consulted with the health authorities both before she went to Cleveland and before she came back. She even suggested coming back a day early and was told it wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, I doubt she infected anyone.

So in saying so you think it was a good idea?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 PM

The NBC cameraman has recovered and been released from the hospital according to news reports. I also have seen several reports that Amber Vincent is much improved and is up and about. Other than the botched case in Dallas the US is batting 100 with Ebola cases. The liklihood of anyone else coming down with it from Duncan is dwindling by the hour. It all unfolded just like the CDC said it would. Looks like Obama saved us afterall!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I can't recall a travel ban to stop a contagion. You said they've been shown, historically, to not work. I would be interested in knowing of such previous bans. I know, like with Spanish Influenza, it traveled with our returning soldiers where we again didn't ban travel. In fact, AIDS also traveled (with no ban) but was really devastating because of the resistance to close the bath houses when it first appeared. Honestly, I can't think of any health related travel bans. Would be interesting to see them.
Here ya go:

SARS Outbreak in Canada | Canadian Environmental Health Atlas

Old 10-21-2014, 05:41 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,144,467 times
Anyone know how the 2 nurses are doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies