Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
Two things.

1). I'm liberal.
2). Appalachia is an impoverished region with a long documented history of economic non-participation, drug use, pollution, violence, and unemployment.

Do these people not deserve assistance or preferential treatment in hiring or placement decisions in order to help them advance and move up?

Just close your eyes and pretend that we are talking about a group that you've never heard of and tell me if you think they'd qualify for affirmative action.

-they're poor. Some of the poorest areas in the country.
-they lack mobility...ya know...because the whole poor thing.
-they are overwhelmingly uneducated.
-they have very few resources for higher ed.
-the Coal industry is being choked off.
-unemployment is higher in Appalachia than the oft-cited black american unemployment numbers.
-the air/water quality is polluted by coal and coal treatment facilities
-kids in a lot of locations are bussed for up to 35-40 miles one way for school because of consolidation.
-one of the highest percentages of the population on disability SSI
-rampant drug use and abuse

Does this group, if the member happens to be a white male, not deserve the same assistance that a black male or female would get in terms of job preference despite suffering through what he may have experienced growing up in "the great white ghetto."
Since when does any black person get preference in hiring? Only time they do is when politicians want to hire a token. That makes no sense to make Appalachin whites a protected group because there's poor white people everywhere in America, that's illogical to confine it to a region.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-17-2014 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Is this meant to be serious?

A quality necessary for a protected class is the inability to change that class: sex, age, race.

What you wrote is nothing more than a rant about blacks. Head over to Stormfront.
Religion is a protected class and can be changed.

Hispanic is an ethnic group that is protected, yet numerous other ethnic groups are not a protected group.

Native Americans on reservations get special hiring preferences with companies that have federal contracts.

There are special economic zones (the official term escapes me at this moment) where only people who reside in these zones can apply for certain jobs.

Anyway, idiotic idea to designate Appalachian people as a protected class, but I think the entire concept of protected classes is ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No.

Obama is killing them and their jobs off.
No, it is suicide. In the 21st century, all under-educated regions, which are also remote, will fare poorly long-term. No matter who the POTUS is.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Religion is a protected class and can be changed.

Hispanic is an ethnic group that is protected, yet numerous other ethnic groups are not a protected group.

Native Americans on reservations get special hiring preferences with companies that have federal contracts.

There are special economic zones (the official term escapes me at this moment) where only people who reside in these zones can apply for certain jobs.

Anyway, idiotic idea to designate Appalachian people as a protected class, but I think the entire concept of protected classes is ridiculous.
I agree.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:38 PM

156 posts, read 119,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Is this meant to be serious?

A quality necessary for a protected class is the inability to change that class: sex, age, race.

What you wrote is nothing more than a rant about blacks. Head over to Stormfront.
For God sakes.

The point I'm trying to make is that it isn't so easy to just "move away." Therefore, the quality that is consistent in their (people from Appalachia) poverty is something that can't be changed easily. Moving isn't something that people can just do at a whim. Theoretically you could have a sex change as well, but saying that because something can be changed doesn't devalidate it as a disadvantage

Old 10-17-2014, 09:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

They're uneducated because they choose to be. There are plenty of colleges in Appalachia, including ones that are completely free like Alice Lloyd. Unemployment is high because they have refused to educate themselves and refused to develop industry outside coal. .
Amen.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
For God sakes.

The point I'm trying to make is that it isn't so easy to just "move away." Therefore, the quality that is consistent in their (people from Appalachia) poverty is something that can't be changed easily. Moving isn't something that people can just do at a whim. Theoretically you could have a sex change as well, but saying that because something can be changed doesn't devalidate it as a disadvantage
That is not anywhere near true..I live in a broke assed area and have travelled all over the country and worked good jobs,come back here and a $1 will but you $5..I built a business that plays into the redneck lifestyle now and do well enough I do not have to travel...I've ate more than my share of fast food and stayed in crap motels to keep from being broke and if I can do it as dumb as I am,anyone can do it...I don't feel sorry for anyone that doesn't at least try..if they are old,sick or weak between the ears,I have compassion,but if they are young and healthy but sit there drunk or doped up and stealing I have nothing for them but a size 13 boot as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
In light of the white-priviledge debate on here, I thought I would pose this question:

I'm just curious if people feel that this is something that has merit? Ultimately, people from central Appalachia (SW Virginia, East Tennessee, Eastern KY, Southern WV, and Western NC) are typically considerably poorer, considerably less educated, and have a much higher incidence of drug addiction than comparable demographics elsewhere. These people don't have the resources for advancement that others do in more urban areas, yet other demographics (women, african americans, etc.) receive benefits because of various issues to assist them in overcoming the institutional disadvantages that are claimed by whatever group they represent. My question is...should/could that same thing be afforded to "Appalachian-Americans."

Obviously the question becomes, How do you define an Appalachian American. The ARC counties spread a very vast area from NY State to Alabama, but it rates the counties from either sustainable, at-risk, or transitional. The overwhelming majority of at-risk or transitional counties are in the areas I listed above and they have a coal-heavy income to some degree. Perhaps those that live or "grew up" in at-risk or transitional counties could receive certain benefits and selection in academia in order to increase their participation.

Thoughts?
No and I say that because word is even the anglo white "hillbillies" don't have many kids in 2014; maybe 2 per woman on average. Too; their kind don't usually start near as much trouble as Black hood rats if talking X out of 100 people. I'm onto the tweaker problem there; just keep nailing those who use AND really nail the dirty cops, judges and so on who help move the meth.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That is not anywhere near true..I live in a broke assed area and have travelled all over the country and worked good jobs,come back here and a $1 will but you $5..I built a business that plays into the redneck lifestyle now and do well enough I do not have to travel...I've ate more than my share of fast food and stayed in crap motels to keep from being broke and if I can do it as dumb as I am,anyone can do it...I don't feel sorry for anyone that doesn't at least try..if they are old,sick or weak between the ears,I have compassion,but if they are young and healthy but sit there drunk or doped up and stealing I have nothing for them but a size 13 boot as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed and how! Tho many poor people ARE "weak between the ears" but; not all are total basket cases. Most CAN be helped but; THEY have to step up and do the work.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
No and I say that because word is even the anglo white "hillbillies" don't have many kids in 2014; maybe 2 per woman on average. Too; their kind don't usually start near as much trouble as Black hood rats if talking X out of 100 people. I'm onto the tweaker problem there; just keep nailing those who use AND really nail the dirty cops, judges and so on who help move the meth.
That last part is REALLY true..most people would be shocked to know how many cops are in on dope deals in these hillbilly areas...you don't build a half million dollar home on 30g a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies