Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times

Advertisements

Political Polarization & Media Habits | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

FTA:By contrast, those with consistently liberal views:
Are more likely than those in other ideological groups to block or “defriend” someone on a social network – as well as to end a personal friendship – because of politics.

One reason I don't talk politics with my liberal friends and coworkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:21 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
This study is proving what I already knew.

I do not defriend people over politics. I'm not on facebook all that much. When I do post, it's usually about sports or pictures. I avoid posting about politics, although I did share this story when I saw it.

I have had at least three people on facebook block me, however. The reason is that although I don't put political items in my newsfeed, I generally will comment on propaganda that friends post which appears in my newsfeed.

Because I don't let people get away with posting liberal propaganda unchallenged, several of the main propaganda pushers have blocked or defriended me.

It's almost as if many liberals don't believe anyone is entitled to an opinion other than theirs.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
This study is proving what I already knew.

I do not defriend people over politics. I'm not on facebook all that much. When I do post, it's usually about sports or pictures. I avoid posting about politics, although I did share this story when I saw it.

I have had at least three people on facebook block me, however. The reason is that although I don't put political items in my newsfeed, I generally will comment on propaganda that friends post which appears in my newsfeed.

Because I don't let people get away with posting liberal propaganda unchallenged, several of the main propaganda pushers have blocked or defriended me.

It's almost as if many liberals don't believe anyone is entitled to an opinion other than theirs.

I'm not on FB but I've seen this in my personal life with family, friends, coworkers. The libs are usually much more overbearing and combative about their views. Cons will state their views and move on afterwords. Libs seem to take it as almost a personal affront if someone states views that are counter to liberalism.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
I've had conservatives block or defriend me on FB. I actually didn't even care. I defriended one person, someone I knew from high school because he was consistently vile & untruthful & I got sick of it. Big deal. Each does it to each other in my experience.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
I've stopped following some people on social media because I don't want their right wing bigotry and hate rantings in my stream.

On the personal friendship side the findings were: "consistent liberals are more likely to stop talking to someone because of politics. Roughly a quarter (24%) have done so, compared with 16% of consistent conservatives and around 10% of those with more mixed political views."
That's only 24% vs 16% in the sample. Not a big difference in behavior.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:45 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
I have a custom FB list, for any possibly politically-oriented stuff I might post, which excludes any of my Liberal friends because I know from past experience that posting anything to Facebook either positive towards Conservatism or negative towards Liberalism tends to send them into a tirade and can end friendships.

Once again, it shows that Liberals' vaulted tolerance only extends to those who agree with them. Disagree with the Liberal opinion and you're automatically a racist, sexist or homophobe, because "reality has a Liberal bias™"

Old 10-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I have a custom FB list, for any possibly politically-oriented stuff I might post, which excludes any of my Liberal friends because I know from past experience that posting anything to Facebook either positive towards Conservatism or negative towards Liberalism tends to send them into a tirade and can end friendships.

Once again, it shows that Liberals' vaulted tolerance only extends to those who agree with them. Disagree with the Liberal opinion and you're automatically a racist, sexist or homophobe, because "reality has a Liberal bias™"
Ending a relationship on Facebook or other social media because of politics is not the same as ending a friendship in real life. Not wanting to be subjected to daily political posts you disagree with doesn't show intolerance.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Yep, this is true.

Most liberals have no desire to be friends with racists, homophobes, sexists, super fanatical religious types, or super fanatical gun nuts.

This doesn't describe all or even most conservatives... but the extremists listed above usually hold conservative views.

Yes, I have an intolerance for intolerance.

Last edited by Opin_Yunated; 10-21-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 11:56 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
That's why we wall you up into ghettos.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 AM

The social media world tends to be more liberal and liberals can afford to be more selective in choosing online friends. Conservatives don't have as many online friends and can't be as picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies