Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
This link will show that the NFL arrest records on all crimes are well below the national average. Unfortunately in some cases you can take the man out of the hood but can't always take the hood out of the man.

The Rate of Domestic Violence Arrests Among NFL Players | FiveThirtyEight
How does it compare to other college grads?
How does it compare to other people with salaries like theirs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 02:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's a silly comparison. Professional football is a highly specialized class of work. There is no existential doppelganger available for a good comparison.

There are roughly 1700 players in the NFL..

Go grab 1700 bankers or pediatricians that have spent most of their lives learning to knock other guy's heads off.

Football requires extreme aggression and toughness. You don't flip a switch and just turn it off just because the game clock expired. These are Alpha dogs. They don't turn into lambs when they aren't playing football.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
From my previous post I stated;
Unfortunately in some cases you can take the man out of the hood but can't always take the hood out of the man.
That is why we have some bad boys in the NFL.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well it will be interesting to see if this impacts current basketball and football players, too late for the others. Some of the administrators have moved on one went to Cornell University. How does a non-academic grade various courses without anyone's knowledge. This was supposed to have been investigated and resolved 3 years ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/sp...etes.html?_r=0
"Quote: More than 3,100 students, 47.6 percent of them athletes, were enrolled in and
received credit for the phantom classes, most of which were created and graded
solely by a single employee, Deborah Crowder. Ms. Crowder was a nonacademic who
worked as the African studies department’s administrator and who told Mr.
Wainstein that she had been motivated by a desire to help struggling athletes."

Looking at the quoted statement it looks like she was "assisting" black students. Athlete or not.

Is this what happens when you lower the admission standards in order to meet the " diversity" and "affirmative action" criteria?

Give them bogus courses and let them "pass" so you don 't have to expel them for NOT maintaining a certain GPA.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, unless these athletes are too stupid to know.
What about the other 52.4% who were NOT athletes?

I think you have a bias against athletes.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
From my previous post I stated;
Unfortunately in some cases you can take the man out of the hood but can't always take the hood out of the man.
That is why we have some bad boys in the NFL.
I agree, so I don't understand why the outrage or surprise when one of these thugs does something stupid like knocking their loved one out in public and dragging them around like a sack of potatoes. Or whipping a 4 year old child bloody and then calling it a part of their culture.

If they don't want stories like this, then choose better human beings for the league, stats and speed be damned. There are many, many really good football players out there that are good people and the league wouldn't suffer one bit from the lack of Percy Harvin or Ray Rice or Ray Lewis or Adrian Peterson or Mike Vick or about a 100 other guys. Just choose better people and play the game right.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:04 PM

I find it hilarious to read all these posts focusing on the athletes when they were a MINORITY of the total number involved.

IT WAS BLACK STUDIES ADMINISTRATOR. Why do you ALL NOT focus on THIS point?

Old 10-24-2014, 08:39 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I find it hilarious to read all these posts focusing on the athletes when they were a MINORITY of the total number involved.

IT WAS BLACK STUDIES ADMINISTRATOR. Why do you ALL NOT focus on THIS point?
I noted it wasn't just athlete's.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It wasn't just athlete's. If whoever is running the class says to get a grade you must have a 10 page report handed in by the end of the semester and you do just that, how is that cheating?
Only an idiot would know they were not cheating. If your boss tells you to fudge on your timesheet, you surely would know you are cheating.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:13 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
All you have to do is look at the state of the NFL and that is a clear indication of the quality of the "student" athletes being churned out by the corrupt college football system.

These "student athletes" many of them have no business stepping onto a college campus. They belong in prison.
One word, Thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies