Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Are you a doctor? Yeah thats what we thought
Most docs don't go into the field because of thoughts of getting rich. They do it because they want to help people. They have enormous debts to pay off though. I think those who choose the medical field should have no education debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:09 PM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Most docs don't go into the field because of thoughts of getting rich. They do it because they want to help people.
Is that why you became a doctor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They have enormous debts to pay off though. I think those who choose the medical field should have no education debt.
So you think I should have your education debt?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is that why you became a doctor?

So you think I should have your education debt?
If I was a doctor I absolutely think you should pay my debt. We need doctors in this country but the loans they pay are enormous. If these caring and dedicated people decided the loans they own just aren't worth it. which many do, what becomes of the healthcare of us. Why should they have this kind of debt to take care of you.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 PM

513 posts, read 581,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
People don't choose a profession just for the money and advancement opportunities, otherwise they'red be no teachers in our schools. They sure don't babysit and teach our rug rats 7 hours a day for the pay.
You're seriously comparing teachers to doctors? Is that why you became a doctor? Where did you get your MD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I personally think we should nationalize the entire industry. Why do corporations need to make billions in profits off the sick and dying? There are a thousand other ways to get rich in America, health care should be off limits.

Take the billions in profits and put it back into the system. Pay the professionals more than they make now, make their lives better. Pay for their college if they choose a career in healthcare. Get Pfizer and all these sharks out of the business.
Surely you're pulling my finger. You do realize that with no profit motive, medical care would never have advanced beyond bloodletting and mercury, don't you? Do you never want to see a cure for terminal diseases like cancer? Go ahead and take the profit motive out of medicine. Go wear your pink ribbon and wristband like a good little liberal, since apparently that's all you need to cure cancer.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:55 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,650,160 times
My nephew is a first year med school student. His tuition plus expenses, about twenty thousand per semester. That's one hundred sixty thousand dollars of student loan debt after four years. He's a conservative and is fully aware of the uncertainty surrounding his future pay because of obamacare. His motivation to become a doctor? He wants to help people.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,483,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
He's a conservative and is fully aware of the uncertainty surrounding his future pay because of obamacare. .
Why would there be uncertainty surrounding his future pay because of obamacare? How does the ACA affect doctor's pay?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Why would any exceptional students want to become doctors where their salaries would be capped and have limited opportunities. Basically you would end up with mediocre health professionals like Canada.
Oh, they didn't think of that.

Obviously they think people will want to be doctors on a hamburger flipper wage.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,774,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
My nephew is a first year med school student. His tuition plus expenses, about twenty thousand per semester. That's one hundred sixty thousand dollars of student loan debt after four years. He's a conservative and is fully aware of the uncertainty surrounding his future pay because of obamacare. His motivation to become a doctor? He wants to help people.
And just think, after he has busted his ass all those years then government takes a huge amount of taxes out of his pay, they won't care that he has debt up to his wazoo.

That helping people will get real old fast.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:28 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,590,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post

Surely you're pulling my finger. You do realize that with no profit motive, medical care would never have advanced beyond bloodletting and mercury, don't you? Do you never want to see a cure for terminal diseases like cancer? Go ahead and take the profit motive out of medicine. Go wear your pink ribbon and wristband like a good little liberal, since apparently that's all you need to cure cancer.
big Pharma is more worried about the next erection pill than they are about cancer.

Its government and universities that are working on Cancer, they e then sell it to big pharma. ZMapp, the famous Ebola drug, comes from Arizona State University.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:36 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,685,380 times
A lot of people have joined the military before and during medical school to get educational assistance for which they serve an agreed amount of time as doctors before discharged.

I knew one guy who became a doctor for the money and he was in his 2nd year of law school while working as an ER doctor. He wanted to get rich in malpractice and expert testimony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies