Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,783,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But I did address the primary point of the article.
No you didn't.

Quote:
The Salon article wanted to say the reason for polarization that exists today is due to Fox News.
So how exactly did you prove that this wasn't true?

Quote:
The link they tried to draw was tenuous at best and a logical leap was required to even try to get there. Correlation does not equal causation. Face it.
So wait, insisting that the link is 'tenuous at best', requires a 'logical leap' and then using the popular phrase 'correlation does not equal causation' means you've completely destroyed the article? You do understand that just using those words doesn't mean you're actually making a point, right?

Quote:
It was an opinion piece (e.g. propaganda) that had phrases like "conservatives are becoming more conservative because of propaganda, whereas liberals are becoming more liberal while staying very much checked into reality." Yeah, hard hitting journalism there. Not propaganda at all.
Yes, it was an opinion piece. But it was an opinion piece that used data to back it up, whereas your post has nothing of substance whatsoever in it. You don't have any links, you don't have any data, you don't have anything except your sarcasm and your icon.

Typical.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,411,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Left's news is ALL propaganda.

Leftists always have bad cases of Projection Disorder. It's one of the symptoms of their mental illness.
Most of the posts from "the right" contain ad hominems... case in point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Again, you are just making crap up. I can guarantee that you do NOT watch Fox.

I can also guarantee that any study you provide to back up that CNN is "significantly more accurate than Fox" would come from some bias source touted as "non-partisan"

I have recorded both CNN and Fox during times of crisis or big news days and went back to compare coverage. It's laughable what CNN leaves out. They don't ALWAYS mislead, but they regularly flat leave out information that you wouldn't get otherwise if you didn't watch Fox or other Conservative media.

Fox is much more balanced in their NEWS shows. They have many more opposing views from guests on.

Try watching some time. Plug your nose and educate yourself. Just once
If Fox News is so "fair and balanced," why are their viewers so misinformed?

Heck, my co-worker today said Earthquakes in Oklahoma because of fracking is "liberal propaganda," along with climate change. He's irrationally angry and resorts to calling anything he doesn't understand as "liberal bull****." (He has a regular evening diet of Fox News)

Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Pew Studies have shown:

-Conservatives distrust most news sources (are more likely to focus on only a few)
-The overwhelming majority of Conservatives prefer Fox News, whereas Liberals prefer CNN and a slightly lower percentage prefer NPR.
-The Fox News audience was found to be overall less informed on issues than people who just guessed the answers to questions. NPR audiences were the best informed.

Why conservatives prefer propaganda to reality - Salon.com

Is this a good summation of what the OP says?

A polarizing article is written in Salon.com complaining that someone else is the cause of polarization.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 AM

893 posts, read 886,822 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that graphic.

You realize all those shows that liberals watch lean left? That's why they are more trusting of MSM. Yet as has been proven over and over again, the left will not watch/listen to conservative media.

Hmmmm...............wonder why they are so set in their views and opinions?

Back to the graph. Again, the conservatives don't trust MSM. Why? Because it leans left and only reports what the MSM wants you to hear.

That doesn't mean they don't get information from the MSM though. They have NO CHOICE. They get info all the time thrown at them. That's why it's Main Stream Media.

This isn't hard to see why liberals are so sheltered in their views.

It's also telling that the graphic confirms that liberals are intolerant of hearing other views and opinions. It is common knowledge that a liberal will 'unfriend' you on FB or disappear from a message board when their views are criticized. That is a tell tale sign of someone unwilling to see another point of view

Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,231,559 times
Quote:
Pew Studies have shown:

-Conservatives distrust most news sources (are more likely to focus on only a few)
-The overwhelming majority of Conservatives prefer Fox News, whereas Liberals prefer CNN and a slightly lower percentage prefer NPR.
-The Fox News audience was found to be overall less informed on issues than people who just guessed the answers to questions. NPR audiences were the best informed.

Why conservatives prefer propaganda to reality - Salon.com

The second paragraph shows your article to be propaganda without merit

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,783,584 times
Quote:
Again, you are just making crap up. I can guarantee that you do NOT watch Fox.
Do you need to drink poison to know that it will kill you?

No, you don't drink poison because you trust the people who made it and are telling you that poison will kill you.

Quote:
I can also guarantee that any study you provide to back up that CNN is "significantly more accurate than Fox" would come from some bias source touted as "non-partisan"
It's not about accuracy.
They quizzed people on current events and the people who identified as FOX viewers got the lowest score.

Quote:
I have recorded both CNN and Fox during times of crisis or big news days and went back to compare coverage. It's laughable what CNN leaves out. They don't ALWAYS mislead, but they regularly flat leave out information that you wouldn't get otherwise if you didn't watch Fox or other Conservative media.
So if I told you a story that was true, and then another, longer one that had lies deliberately inserted, the latter would be better because it contains more information?

Sorry, reality doesn't work that way.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
I can't believe I'm actually having to argue against supposed conservative propaganda whose primary source is a propaganda piece. My husband brought me a delightful lunch from Whole Paycheck. I'm going to do that instead. Better use of my time. Y'all enjoy!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,411,258 times
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that graphic.

You realize all those shows that liberals watch lean left? That's why they are more trusting of MSM. Yet as has been proven over and over again, the left will not watch/listen to conservative media.

Hmmmm...............wonder why they are so set in their views and opinions?

Back to the graph. Again, the conservatives don't trust MSM. Why? Because it leans left and only reports what the MSM wants you to hear.

That doesn't mean they don't get information from the MSM though. They have NO CHOICE. They get info all the time thrown at them. That's why it's Main Stream Media.

This isn't hard to see why liberals are so sheltered in their views.

It's also telling that the graphic confirms that liberals are intolerant of hearing other views and opinions. It is common knowledge that a liberal will 'unfriend' you on FB or disappear from a message board when their views are criticized. That is a tell tale sign of someone unwilling to see another point of view
Sheltered in what views?

I'm not going to turn on Fox because I've seen it. Most of the statements are false. There is nothing factual on there for me to consume.

Conservative views are just that.... views. They are a belief system. They are not real. Reality has a well known liberal bias. When is the last time conservatives were proven right about something?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Heck, my co-worker today said Earthquakes in Oklahoma because of fracking is "liberal propaganda," ....
How many times has the water on fire been replayed by liberal news media outlets or "Gasland" been played on PBS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9CfUm0QeOk

Now ask yourself how many times you've seen it reported that every place with methane in the water has always had methane in the water?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,572,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Have you ever noticed how FOX tells it as it is while your liberal outlets smooth it over so they can shove BS down your throat or shove it up your a$$ so you swallow it all hook, line and sinker? If you don't comply they will blame ''conservatives'' for your weakness.
Hahaha, oh the irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies