Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 06:17 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I am talking about the red-state working class (and poor) people who vote Republican. If you fit into that category, then I can only assume you're either afraid or too stupid to know what's good for you.
You just answered your own question by that "you are too stupid to know what's good for you". You have an air of superiority that causes those poor white southern voters to vote Republican. Who wants to be talked down like that? No one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:20 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
And besides your source showing that regular American workers only support democrats, it also shows that large corporations give more money to republicans.

-----------------------------------------------DEM REP
AT&T Ins....$59,456,000........................41% 58%
United Parcel Service..$34,216,308.........35% 64%
Lockheed Martin..$29,405,270................42% 57%
Bank of America..$28,758,273................40% 57%
Northrop Grumman..$22,155,638............42% 57%
Pfizer Inc...$20,797,618........................35% 64%
ex.ex.ex.

Perhaps 90%-95%? of the large corporations listed in your source give more money to republicans.
Dude! Your faux outrage is not at how the money is gained, but who gives the money. You base much of this tripe on how much money is received from unions, and that they (the Dem's) receive a slightly smaller percentage from corporations. This makes zero sense and stretches logic like laffy taffy in summer.

First, unions don't give their members a say in which party they support. This is why the dues option is hated by the unions themselves.

Second, it matters not what the percentage is. The Dem's will gladly take money from those big bad corporations, and they will make campaign promises to do so. It's like you're saying 40% evil is just fine. In any event, the DNC consistently outspends the RNC, yet have made it appear that the RNC are the guys full of evil money. It nothing but more progressive liberal mathmatics rearing its ugly head!

What a load of BS!

The DNC has proven they deflect anything they do, or don't do, and blame it on the Pub's! You've bought into this party lie; hook, line, and sinker! You want to convince others the Dems are for the people, but in reality they are for themselves just as much if not more than the RNC.

Last edited by steven_h; 11-10-2014 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
Quote:
Election year after election year, oodles of people in our great land continually vote for politicians and platforms that do not and will not in the future serve their best interests for the long term. Why do people do this? It's always baffled me why so many working-class and poor (and non-working poor for that matter) vote Republican. In a nutshell, Republicans are generally against: unions, a higher minimum wage, Medicaid expansion, protecting Social Security, national healthcare, funding of public schools, unemployment extensions, sex education, sensible gun laws, safety nets, social programs, jobs bills that would put people back to work, a woman's right to choose, the list goes on and on. Why on earth do the people that suffer the most from the Republican effort continue to vote for them?

I don't care what you call yourself--"right-wing", "conservative", a "Christian"--blah blah blah. None of those silly monikers matter. So many very poor Southerners and other working poor from the so-called "red" states vote Republican. Are you really OK and content living at the poverty line? Are you really OK with no access to decent healthcare? If you are--by all means, keep voting as you do. But to be fair, Democrats do not offer anything much better. Both parties are essentially the same--they prop up big business and banks. And to hell with the rest of us. They just want us to think we have a choice---like picking our favorite football team. It's such a charade!

It is time to start voting for independent candidates. The two major parties in the U.S. need some real competition---from people who truly care about this country and all who are in it. We need to do this together and not let one or two issues divide us so much. It's okay to disagree, but we must work together to take back the country from the greed-driven criminals running it.
Does this mean the converse is true? If I always pay taxes I guess I should vote for curtailing social programs because they cause my taxes to be higher.

If I have access to decent health care why should I vote against my best interests and want the government to spend more in order to provide someone other than myself decent health care.

I have never had to collect unemployment let alone have it extended to a couple of years. Why should I vote against my apparent best self interests and want the government to spend money on it.

Luckily I don't just consider my "best interest" when it comes time to vote. I consider what I think is the best interest for the country and its citizens as a whole. Although in my opinion it means voting more towards a republican belief than the democrat belief.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,000,585 times
When you don't vote you relinquished your right to b-!-t-[-h !

Old 11-10-2014, 02:53 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
Just because a person might be poor does not mean they don't understand economics. We have wasted trillions of dollars "helping the poor" yet, we have very high poverty rates? Why? Because big government and big government programs don't work. So do you vote for the guy that (Liberals/Democrats) that keep saying "just give us more money and let us regulate more of the economy and we will make it all fair for everyone... or the guy (Conservative/Some Republicans), "vote for us so we can cut spending/government/regulations and let the economy work for everyone.

Seems history would favor a small government/spending guy.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:57 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Just because a person might be poor does not mean they don't understand economics. We have wasted trillions of dollars "helping the poor" yet, we have very high poverty rates? Why? Because big government and big government programs don't work. So do you vote for the guy that (Liberals/Democrats) that keep saying "just give us more money and let us regulate more of the economy and we will make it all fair for everyone... or the guy (Conservative/Some Republicans), "vote for us so we can cut spending/government/regulations and let the economy work for everyone.

Seems history would favor a small government/spending guy.
Of course, you're an idiot if you believe either one, because 95% of the new guys you just voted in are going to vote to increase military spending along with the McCains of the world, so more money down a black hole.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Election year after election year, oodles of people in our great land continually vote for politicians and platforms that do not and will not in the future serve their best interests for the long term. Why do people do this? It's always baffled me why so many working-class and poor (and non-working poor for that matter) vote Republican. In a nutshell, Republicans are generally against: unions, a higher minimum wage, Medicaid expansion, protecting Social Security, national healthcare, funding of public schools, unemployment extensions, sex education, sensible gun laws, safety nets, social programs, jobs bills that would put people back to work, a woman's right to choose, the list goes on and on. Why on earth do the people that suffer the most from the Republican effort continue to vote for them?

I don't care what you call yourself--"right-wing", "conservative", a "Christian"--blah blah blah. None of those silly monikers matter. So many very poor Southerners and other working poor from the so-called "red" states vote Republican. Are you really OK and content living at the poverty line? Are you really OK with no access to decent healthcare? If you are--by all means, keep voting as you do. But to be fair, Democrats do not offer anything much better. Both parties are essentially the same--they prop up big business and banks. And to hell with the rest of us. They just want us to think we have a choice---like picking our favorite football team. It's such a charade!

It is time to start voting for independent candidates. The two major parties in the U.S. need some real competition---from people who truly care about this country and all who are in it. We need to do this together and not let one or two issues divide us so much. It's okay to disagree, but we must work together to take back the country from the greed-driven criminals running it.
There is Republican and there is Democrat. That is all. No other political party can ever thrive unless something is done to ensure that you cannot possibly "throw your vote away" by voting for a third party candidate that you actually believe in. The real problem: Neither Democrat nor Republican currently gives a crap about the American people. Their programs and bright ideas are only making things worse and worse. Things are not improving under either.

The solution is simple enough: Automatic run-offs. Anytime no candidate gets over half of the vote, take the two candidates that got the most votes. Vote again with only those two options on the ballot. If that system were in existence everywhere in the nation, people would be free to vote for what they believe in first and could worry about choosing "the lesser of two evils" in the runoff election.

Democrats especially hate this idea. It opens the possibility for greater competition with the big two parties. The Dems also have a huge segment of their voter base that is chronically lazy. Hard enough to get them off their butts to vote once, good luck getting them to vote twice. It's a lame argument against though. If any given American can't be bothered to vote in the runoff, they don't deserve to have their voice heard. No different what we have now with just one vote.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
You just answered your own question by that "you are too stupid to know what's good for you". You have an air of superiority that causes those poor white southern voters to vote Republican. Who wants to be talked down like that? No one.
Shut up and take your free condoms and needles.....Liberals said free condoms and needles is a good thing, so it must be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What a pile of manure. People on both the left and right take their most cherished beliefs into the voting booth.
You mean like free condoms and needles?

Quote:
I stand my my assertion that low-income, no-income, and working-class people (esp. in southern/bible belt states) are fairly ignorant and generally don't know the facts.
Except you cannot prove that, and your claim of proof that they're stupid because they don't vote exactly the way you want them to vote is not even remotely valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Your claim as a DR. does not give you the right to forget that Regan and his anti new Deal poilices have started this current economic situation, add on the great job that Republican House and Senate did in the 90's and early 2000's leading us to a Depression in 2008-2010.
Reagan isn't responsible for that, but thanks for sharing your hallucinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Nafta which was pushed through with the promise that it is good, has now brought the Trans Pacific Partnership. Just how good will compeating with people working for 25 cents a day work out. The TPP will be just as good a job creator as was NAFTA
You can permanently lose 40 Million jobs, or you can sign NAFTA/TPP/BAFTA and only lose 10 Million jobs permanently.

Choose wisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who are you to tell anyone how they should vote? The arrogance of the Left is astounding.
Shut up and go play with your condoms and needles...after all....they were Freeeee! Liberals said that the Unicorn said it was true, so it must be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Lots o' cash gets spread around and it ain't just the poor workin' man funding the Dems:
Man that was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I got an idea. How about you keep your house gun free and I'll keep my guns. In other words who the hell are you to tell me what I can have an can not have.
But if you have a gun and he doesn't, then that's Gun Inequality and it will upset the balance of the Universe which will go into it's Final Rinse Cycle without any fabric softener.

Playing with my free condoms and needles....

Mircea

Old 11-11-2014, 02:39 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Of course, you're an idiot if you believe either one, because 95% of the new guys you just voted in are going to vote to increase military spending along with the McCains of the world, so more money down a black hole.
I can see spending more on the military since we have some real threats out there and it takes money to keep a military system running well. I don't like McCain either and wish he would retire.

Of course, Obama destroyed Libya with his illegal war. He tried to destroy Egypt but the people of Egypt got wise and tossed Obama's MB buddies into jail.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
When you don't vote you relinquished your right to b-!-t-[-h !
No, not voting does not deprive you of your 1st Amendment rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies