Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:51 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,908 times

Advertisements

No Eric your a failure as a person in the matter of helping to bring people together. You've been the most divisive Attorney General of the United States ever and you're definitely a racist. Eric for your info the political incorrect truth is that your race as a whole has failed to measure up to the standards of accountability as preached by "Martin Luther King"

Eric Holder: 'We As A Nation Have Failed' - Breitbart

Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
I haven't clicked on the link, but if he is referring to our failure to elect leaders who place the interests of this country first, then yes, I agree.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Ok, I clicked on it and made it here:

Quote:
But I certainly think we have to build up a better relationship between young people, people of color, and people in law enforcement. There is — there’s distrust that exists on both sides.
Let's see here, if I were black and knew that each year around 70 unarmed black people were killed by law enforcement while close to 17,000 black people were killed by other black people, I think I'd be a lot more suspicious of black people.

Hiking in the Grand Canyon, it makes more sense to watch out for snakes than meteors streaking toward you. Sure, you could be injured or killed by a meteor hitting you, but watching out for snakes is a lot more practical.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Thursday on MSNBC’s “The Reid Report,” outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder said “We as a nation have failed,” to address the mistrust between black communities and the police.

So many directions I could go with this...

What should "we" have done? What was your platform on solving the problem? You were in the position that the nation put you in (via Obama) to solve the problem. I guess if the nation failed, it was assuming you and Pres. Obama would improve things.

So yeah, Holder is right... we failed.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Speak for or yourself; Eric Holder.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What about his statement do you disagree with?

Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Certain people and their tribal attitudes and constant overgeneralizing and race baiting have failed.... the rest of us are doing fine, we don't stress about stuff as small as skin color and we aren't paranoid when our local police man drives by us because a cop from a police department 600 miles south of here killed and unarmed man..... you guys can have your freedom of speech all you want but when you start burning stuff, looting, standing in the middle of the freeway and screaming... you are now infringing on our lives and its getting pretty annoying.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
We have failed "them" simply by insisting to only think about "them" instead about the individuals that may or may not have succeeded on their own terms.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:36 PM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
  • How do you deal with a panhandler on the street?
  • How do you deal with an ex-spouse who tries to nickel and dime you?
  • How do you deal with a friend/family member who tries to borrow money from you, when you know they're taking the money and buying lottery tickets, booze and cigarettes?
  • How do you deal with a buddy who cheats on every girl he goes out with and then laments how there are no nice girls out there?
In short, how do you deal with anyone who you know for a fact is the source of almost all of their own suffering?

Answer that, and that's your answer for how to deal with a failure of any race, religion, gender, orientation, whatever.

Failure, laziness, apathy...these are color blind traits. Every race, creed, gender, etc has folks who practice all the negative behaviors. The most common factor all the lazy and apathetic share is poverty, as your average lazy and apathetic person is indeed an economic failure as well. They're not real hard to spot, even if coming in a wide array of skin pigments, sizes, and shapes.

The vast majority of the people who think the world a) owes them something and/or b) is out to get them somehow are all capable of improving their lives and choose not to. So ask yourself how often you rescue people hell bent on hurting themselves. Paraphrasing Franklin here, but you do the poor no good by making poverty comfortable and easy. Then again, Buddhism has been preaching this same idea for a few millennia, so it isn't exactly a new idea.

The failure with SOME black people and cops is cultural and one cops cannot fix. Their behavior is guided by law, their job description, their duty to the community, etc. The 98ish% of society that is law abiding WANTS THE POLICE TO HASSLE BAD GUYS. Black, white, green or purple, most folks are HAPPY to see cops doing the job, keeping their neighborhood from descending into Hell, etc. Do some cops go too far? Sure, but they go too far with everyone, not just black people. I've had three police officers go way too far with me, and last I checked, I'm an upper middle class white suburbanite. Not exactly the cops' stereotypical adversary. But in some urban sub groups of black people, kids are born and raised with "fudge the police" as a daily mantra. No surprise when they deal with the police it can and often does go south quickly. yes, there are plenty of white folks out there doing same, they just don't get as much press for it.

The other glaring failure is on the national scale and it belongs not to the cops, but to the people, as in all of us, not just blacks. We, as a nation, since Wilson and FDR decided to remake the republic into a nanny state oligarchy, have BEGGED & PLEADED with the government to control our lives. Gimme gimme gimme free stuff, and in return, you can have my freedom. Gimme SS, Mediwelfare, welfare, food stamps, free housing, etc....and I'll be a loyal voter and do your bidding. I am too scared to run my own life, so please Leviathan, run it for me. Almost a century of begging for this later, now we want to have our cake and eat it too, like a bunch of spoiled 19 year olds who still live at home, expecting to be rent/bill free while enjoying telling Mom & Dad to fudge right off if they get sassy.

Well, the cops being like they are is part of the Faustian bargain we made as a nation. We wanted comfort, harmony and tranquility, and we were all too happy to trade freedom and liberty for it. Well, this is part of what we get, it's in the fine print, and we never bothered to read the contract before handing over our souls. Black people are not uniquely guilty of this disconnect, they just get the most press for it because they have the most vocal activists railing against a system of enslavement they helped build. We're all guilty of it. Every time you say "fudge the PO-leece" and then gripe off that there's just too much darn crime and it's wrecking your harmony, well then there's the disconnect. The majority of the nation lives on milk from Leviathan's teat, at least to some degree, and they have the ironic and hypocritical gall to gripe about how Leviathan treats them? Hey, if the Devil charges too much for the favors, here's a hot tip - DON'T MAKE DEALS WITH HIM.

Beg to become someone's dependent, and you beg for them to own you. Now and again, they will slap you back into proper behavior and assume you'll shut up because after all, they're the hand that feeds.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-19-2014 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
While we're talkig about "speaking"; is Obama trying to match Putin this morning? So far, an hour with no sign of finishing up. ...oh wait HAH, he heard me and ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies