Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 05:47 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I don't need to "support my case". It's those arguing the regulation is needed who must make their case.

BTW, I AM an expert. I AM an authority.

Please don't try this again.
Tooting your own horn I see... This guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 05:48 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,061 times
Quote:
LOL, you don't know me, or anything about me.

I was providing internet before there was a cable company doing it OR a phone company doing it. I was a pioneer in bridging the digital divide in rural America many years later.

So, let's hear you tell us the virtue of forcing all middle and last mile providers to be "common carrier" status. Please.

Give me details on why the utterly preposterous "sky is falling" is even remotely a problem. Further, if anyone large enough to implement such thing tried, I would LOVE IT. The floodgates of competition would burst open like you've never seen happen. Ever.
Your experiences prior have little to do with the discussion of Net Neutrality in the same way my engineering degree, cable technician, phone technician, network communication, and switch management will have little to do with the discussion other than my technical ability to understand the networks themselves.

So get off your high horse.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Telecommunication doesn't necessitate telephone lines. I worked for 2 ISPs, they are telecom companies!
I didn't just work one. I started two. I was doing this before Comcast hooked up customer #1.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Tell me, who pays for the last mile stream netflix to you?
Should be the ISP, it's their customer.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:51 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
A telecom, strictly speaking, is a phone company or a regulated services carrier or provider.
An authoritative expert reduced to nitpicking terminology within, what, 5 posts?

So today we learned that none of these companies qualify for the name "telecom":

AT&T
Centurylink (formerly Qwest and Savvis)
Deutsche Telekom AG
Inteliquent (formerly Tinet)
Verizon Business (formerly UUNET)
Sprint
TeliaSonera International Carrier
NTT Communications
Level 3 Communications
Tata Communications

I suspect Deutsche Telekom in particular will be unhappy, what with it being in their name and everything.(That's a list of Tier 1 carriers, btw.)

Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Are we talking about forcing the ISP to provide equal access to any site service based on what the consumer is paying for or forcing the ISP to provide both equal access to site and services and single tier?

If this going to work the ISP needs to be able to offer tiered or metered plans to the consumer, otherwise the majority of people are going to be paying for the minority of customers.
Tiered plans to the consumer are not the issue. No one putting a stop to that. Data caps, paying extra for more bandwidth, none of it has anything to do with the issue at hand here.

The issue is purely about treating some data different from others and making some companies pay extra.

If you pay for, say, 200 GB data and 20 Mbps up/5 Mbps down, you should be able to download at 20 Mbps and upload at 5 Mbps up to your 200 GB limit, regardless of whether those packets are from you playing World of Warcraft, seeding Ubuntu, or watching Netflix.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not for government regulation of internet. The investment and innovation stop.
*boggle*

Come on folks, at least understand whats going on. This is the equivelant of saying "Not for government regulation of our roads. Roads work more efficiently without any regulation"

Im truly offended by the amount of ignorance of whats being discussed. Please at least go read some of the links presented here, and understand the topic instead of grabbing a tired old argument that in this case is applied wrong. Try and understand the discussion instead of just shouting a quote over and over despite it not matching with reality.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Your experiences prior have little to do with the discussion of Net Neutrality in the same way my engineering degree, cable technician, phone technician, network communication, and switch management will have little to do with the discussion other than my technical ability to understand the networks themselves.

So get off your high horse.
Ohhh, look, he throws out his paper on the wall... You don't want to discuss what happens in the market, I get it.

Hell, I don't have a degree... There was no degree to get in this stuff when I got started. But I've done far more than what you list above, including investing my money and building my own infrastructure based ISP.

The argument is all about whether or not any ISP is a monopoly and can gouge monopoly prices.

The largest impediment to competition... would be common carrier status. The higher you raise the barriers to entry, the less competition and lower quality the providers will be. Period.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
I would suggest we eliminate the charges on the phone bill that fund these low income programs and cut them loose. What do you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies