Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And now Verizon purposely cripples Netflix. So did Comcast, but Netflix forked over the cash.
Netflix will get back that cash by charging you more. Ted Cruz, the telcom's bought stooge, will make the internet more expensive for you.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/net_neutrality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 04:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Except for the part where it isn't, because the DC circuit court ruled that the FCC has no authority to enforce net neutrality because ISPs aren't considered common carriers.

And now Verizon purposely cripples Netflix. So did Comcast, but Netflix forked over the cash.
Netflix isn't the only way to watch movies though.
People aren't forced to subscribe to netflix.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:28 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When the services of Netflix are given a speed boost and the services of their competitors are throttled to the point where customers don't want to bother with them and thus removing the potential of competition there wouldn't be another choice!

And there lies the whole issue, we cannot allow "fast lanes" for companies, it would crush smaller companies and would be anti-consumer!

Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
When the services of Netflix are given a speed boost and the services of their competitors are throttled to the point where customers don't want to bother with them and thus removing the potential of competition there wouldn't be another choice!

And there lies the whole issue, we cannot allow "fast lanes" for companies, it would crush smaller companies and would be anti-consumer!
What competitor does Netflix have ?

I don't subscribe to Netflix. Occasionally I watch movies on demand from amazon.
I haven't been throttled to the point where I can't watch it.
I also watch stuff from Hulu.

But Netflix is a known resource hog so they should pay more for the bandwidth they want and use.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...o-your-tv.html
At peak times, Netflix accounts for around a third of the consumer Internet traffic in North America.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:33 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Is anyone saying it is? Or that people are forced to subscribe to Netflix?

If Comcast and Verizon had their way, they'd throttle Netflix and make it terrible in an effort to get users to use their own inferior services. And they'd throttle Netflix to force them into paying extra, causing prices to rise for customers.

We know that's what would happen because that's exactly what Verizon and Comcast have been doing.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

Great summary. I wish people would stop making this a partisan issue. Verizon, Comcast and their ilk are only interested in their shareholders and how to squeeze us for more money - which is evident in Verizon's immediate response to Obama this morning with threatening a lawsuit.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
Quote:

I don't subscribe to Netflix. Occasionally I watch movies on demand from amazon.

But Netflix is a known resource hog so they should pay more for the bandwidth they want and use.
please learn more about net neutrality. please. This is a good start... (and he takes jabs at Obama, just FYI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

Old 11-10-2014, 04:52 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times
Quote:

How Netflix streams movies to your TV | Computerworld
At peak times, Netflix accounts for around a third of the consumer Internet traffic in North America.
Amazon and Hulu are Netflix competitors. Also HBO is about to roll out online subscriptions.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:

How Netflix streams movies to your TV | Computerworld
No one is saying any different. The issue is not that Netflix shouldn't pay for their bandwidth, obviously they should. The issue is that they shouldn't be singled out for mugging to the detriment of their customers.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:57 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:

Hulu and Amazon are also affected by this and will be als be charged fees that must be passed on to consumers. The telecom's are singling out Netflix because (your claim) Netflix is a resource hog and Hulu and Amazon aren't. You won't be able to escape, your interent bill will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies