Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:32 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Probably due to a lack of education and ignorance. Believe it or not, not everyone is smart enough to understand that an anecdotal opinion pieces don't reflect the opinion of everyone.

You should see some of the OP's other posts. I hope she is not republican. We already have enough people bringing the part down.
Do you have anyone bringing it up?

Old 11-11-2014, 10:34 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post

This, and those who truly deserve being called a hero don't get the full credit because of the diminished importance and overuse of the word.
Yup. When every soldier is called a hero, there are no heroes. The only way someone who is truly a hero could be distinguished after this cheapening of the word is to call him a Super Hero or an Extra Heroic Hero.

This is more of the same kind of thinking that makes all kids extra special. Everyone gets a trophy. False entitlement.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:44 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
The idiots getting sprayed were blocking a fire exit. They were repeatedly told to move, but decided to be little jerks. Had someone had a heart attack and the ambulance couldn't get through, people would look at these selfish jerks behavior much differently.
Were they being told to move because someone was actually having a heart attack?
I guess the six year old had it coming too.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 AM

According to the logic of some people on this thread, every Taliban soldier is a hero.

Sorry, no.

Last edited by Spatula City; 11-11-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 11:55 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
According to the logic of some people on this thread, if a Nazi kills Americans because he thinks that killing Jews is good and doesn't want to be stopped, then he is a hero simply because he's risking his life.

Ummm, no.

If you're risking your life for an evil cause, then you're not a hero.
You can't judge history using perfect hindsight because hindsight is always perfect 20/20.

After 911, how many Americans wanted a war, a revenge, how many wanted to turn the other cheek?

Ask yourself: what if nothing had happened after 9/11? No revenge, no retribution, no failed surgical strikes on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, no poorly planned bloody fiasco in Iraq, no surges and no insurgencies to surge against; nothing.

I can almost guarantee you that if politicians sent the troops to catch Bin Laden, the troops would have been considered hero.

So the hero status is directly associated with the popularity of war, It is truly sad.

Why are all WWII vets considered hero? There were no WWII deserters? There were no WWII vets raped German women and children? What do you call them?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
So the hero status is directly associated with the popularity of war, It is truly sad.
They also have to be American.

The people responsible for 9/11 died fighting for what they believed in too.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:32 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Soldiers on the receiving end of a US invasion are not heroes.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Communist armies have no heros, because all their soldiers are equal.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:43 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post

The people responsible for 9/11 died fighting for what they believed in too.
And, they still live among us.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 PM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
A great deal of my opinion about calling people heroes comes from my dad, who is an Army vet and served during the Vietnam era.

But he wasn't stationed in Vietnam. He was in Germany, intercepting coded messages.

He's very uncomfortable being called a 'hero'. He doesn't call or consider himself a veteran. We've been to a few events where vets have been asked to stand up so they could be recognized for their service and he won't. He's very respectful of other active duty and retired military, but he's made it clear again and again that all branches of the military also have their share of awful people, and painting any group with such a wide brush of "heroes protecting our freedoms" is, frankly, stupid.

And I model by behavior after him. I'm polite to people in uniform--heck, I try to be polite to people in general. I support our troops by supporting keeping us out of pointless wars and supporting causes that help those who come home wounded mentally and physically (my dad came back fine, but was promised VA benefits he never saw). I occasionally bring some lunch to some of the homeless guys around town, several of whom say they were veterans (I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, and I don't care either way, free food is free food).

And I try not to cheapen the label of hero by applying it to everyone who puts on a uniform.

If that's childish, then hand me my G.I. Joes--those guys are Real American Heroes (TM).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies