Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 12:40 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Do you think the definition of poverty, has changed over time?

How many " living in poverty " own a car, flat screen TV, have a cell phone, rcable TV, reasonably stylish clothing, enough money for smokes, tats and enough left over for alcohol , pot and lottery tix? How many are overweight yet are deemed to be food insecure?
Your right in what you say. I know of a person middle age, who owns a car, a flat screen TV a Samsung S 5 gallery phone, has cable, smokes, drinks, and does pot since the age of around 15.

Yet cannot buy a thing or food, because they are always broke, don't get it. And very overweight, and soon having a surgery done, to make the stomach smaller.

I think people who cannot afford certain things, do not prioritize. I can, and not saying this to be funny or mean, but I do not unless I need something for a special occasion or something has just stopped working

What ticks me off is when I see a so called homeless person, on the street, begging for money, and we watch this so call homeless person walk right into a lexus kid you not, the hat came off, torn vest, pissed my hubby and me off.. Kinds of ruin it for those who truly are homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Do you think the definition of poverty, has changed over time?

How many " living in poverty " own a car, flat screen TV, have a cell phone, rcable TV, reasonably stylish clothing, enough money for smokes, tats and enough left over for alcohol , pot and lottery tix? How many are overweight yet are deemed to be food insecure?

The government definition of poverty is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously as a metric of poverty.

It was formalized in the 1960s as "three times the USDA 'economy food budget' " because at that time, food costs represented approx one-third of the average American's total spending.

It doesn't consider assets (like an owned home or car or flat screen TV), or in-kind (non-cash) government welfare transfers like food stamps, EITC, Section 8, or Medicaid.

So it should hardly be a surprise that many government-defined poor people own a car, flat screen TV, reasonably stylish clothing,, etc. Note also that the government definition of poverty doesn't consider unreported or off-the-books income, or money from relatives and girl/boyfriends.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Not a a word about homeless for the past 6 years from the controlled media. Now that the elephants will control Congress after January..standby for the onslaught.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Not a a word about homeless for the past 6 years from the controlled media. Now that the elephants will control Congress after January..standby for the onslaught.
Of course. Ignore all he social ills of society when the Dems are running the show.
Now the Repubs must "solve" them.

Obama and his minions are the ones that let hundreds of thousands of poor illegals into the country over the summer and paid for their travel all over America.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,779,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
You're pretty out of touch with reality I see.
Or maybe you just don't know people who get denied food stamps;
there are many who qualify & still get denied because there's such an excess of "poor"
con artists scamming the system.....
Those are the ones with the Iphones, the luxury cars, the expensive stuff.....
Basically the low lifes that don't want to work because it's more lucrative & fun to be paid to stay home.

But what about the working poor who are working but can't afford to make a decent living....
Those people don't have public aid.....yet they work but can't make ends meet.....
Somehow it seems that the people who do get any form of public assistance
really know how to play the game-
either that or they have connections.
It's disgusting.

Btw walk a mile in their shoes.
I'd love for that to happen to ya.

I was poor once, I didn't like it, so I decided to work hard to not be poor. It's working out pretty well for me.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The government definition of poverty is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously as a metric of poverty.

It was formalized in the 1960s as "three times the USDA 'economy food budget' " because at that time, food costs represented approx one-third of the average American's total spending.

It doesn't consider assets (like an owned home or car or flat screen TV), or in-kind (non-cash) government welfare transfers like food stamps, EITC, Section 8, or Medicaid.

So it should hardly be a surprise that many government-defined poor people own a car, flat screen TV, reasonably stylish clothing,, etc. Note also that the government definition of poverty doesn't consider unreported or off-the-books income, or money from relatives and girl/boyfriends.

Good Post, you touched on some real good issues here. People have a different definition of what poor is.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
I was poor once, I didn't like it, so I decided to work hard to not be poor. It's working out pretty well for me.
Same here.
It's something you never forget & never want to repeat.
I worked my a$$ off to acquire skills & knowledge to attain an income I'm comfortable with....
I work 6 days a week- sometimes 7....
So I'll never have to experience poverty again.

I have experienced what it is to be well off financially & also how it feels to be poor
(without any handouts) at different times in my life.......

I prefer to have money, lol

Old 11-18-2014, 01:06 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How about the number of American vets and elderly that can't find affordable housing? I also see more and more seniors who can no longer remain in their homes because of their health and there is little to no help for them. They have to be flat-a**ed broke to get any help. If they are a couple and both seniors it's even harder because of their combined incomes puts them over the "poverty" limit much of which is only SS. I'd like to see our government start focusing on them as a priority for a change rather than importing the world's poor children and adults into our country.
There are rumors that Obama may declare fugitive status to people in Central American nations with poverty and crime. If he does that, than millions will pour into the US, and become instant wards of the state, dependent upon our already historically high social welfare safety net.

That sfety net was designed to protect our citizens, not to bailout the rest of the world's corrupt and/or dysfunctional governments.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
There are rumors that Obama may declare fugitive status to people in Central American nations with poverty and crime. If he does that, than millions will pour into the US, and become instant wards of the state, dependent upon our already historically high social welfare safety net.

That sfety net was designed to protect our citizens, not to bailout the rest of the world's corrupt and/or dysfunctional governments.
You're right. The more dependent, needy and poor foreigners we allow in here the less tax dollars there will be for our own citizens in need. There has to be a limit at some point.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right. The more dependent, needy and poor foreigners we allow in here the less tax dollars there will be for our own citizens in need. There has to be a limit at some point.
Lol American citizens are the last thing on the current administrations mind....
It's not gonna get better
George Carlin was a prophet, lol
This country is finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies