Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 07:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Watching the Latino news and their pundits going over his speech. According to the dude spewing right now, he didn't go far enough. Oh, and this was late in coming, along with basically the USA had a moral obligation to do this and more. One lady is having a fit because it doesn't include "full benefits" and she thinks having to pay the taxes is unfair because it's like charging them to be with their own families. Just thought you'd all enjoy being informed of those things too.

It's shocking but not surprising. They have been getting away with anything they want for years and the ride is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
I believe Pat Buchanan said it well: Obama is a rogue president. He openly disregards the democratic process to get what he wants.

Not that the Republicans are much better. The Republicans just wanted to be able to take credit for passing amnesty. Obama beat them to it, and now they have to oppose him. Some kind of democracy we live in when both political parties in our two-party system basically support legalizing massive numbers of illegals despite what the American people want. The Republicans and their elites, and their bankster supporters gain from the massive numbers of low wage workers, who drive wages into the ground. The Democrats see all the immigrants as future Democrat voters. What a sham. Both parties are sell-outs.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:00 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I believe Pat Buchanan said it well: Obama is a rogue president. He openly disregards the democratic process to get what he wants.

Not that the Republicans are much better. The Republicans just wanted to be able to take credit for passing amnesty. Obama beat them to it, and now they have to oppose him. Some kind of democracy we live in when both political parties in our two-party system basically support legalizing massive numbers of illegals despite what the American people want. The Republicans and their elites, and their bankster supporters gain from the massive numbers of low wage workers, who drive wages into the ground. The Democrats see all the immigrants as future Democrat voters. What a sham. Both parties are sell-outs.
That may be a miscalculation. We have a number of those kids in our schools up here. To say most of their families support traditional values is an understatement. Once the dust settles and they start worrying about being a Regular Joe, paying taxes and whatnot, I would not feel surprised at all to see a shift.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 PM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Do you think Bush read that? Clinton? Bush 41? Carter? Reagan? Nixon? They all issued EOs, one would think because there was no movement in congress to get things done.

It's not exactly ground-breaking.

Oh, and in case you didn't know, there are all types of lawyers with different specialties. You wouldn't want a traffic court attorney representing you in a murder case, would you? How about a corporate attorney? How about one who specializes in patent law?

No, I didn't think so.
Not who you were talking to but:

-Obama campaigned against Executive Orders.

-Usually Executive Orders are based on a specific law or precedent that allows the president to give the EO to begin with. Obama was very clear that this does not exist for him and that his action is illegal - in his own words. For example, Reagan's EO was based on a specific law that allowed for his specific EO.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Really? Why are there parts of the country with a heavy presence of Italians, Swedes, Polish, Irish, Indians, Greeks, Germans, etc.?

If we were not a nation of immigrants we would be a homogenous culture, and we are not (and I'm GLAD about that!).
Heavy presence of Greeks ??? - they represent less than 1 percent of who immigrated to the US.

I guess I have to ask you, are we a nation of illegal immigrants or legal ones...cause it seems some folks don't seem to know the difference, including the President.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:06 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Not who you were talking to but:

-Obama campaigned against Executive Orders.

-Usually Executive Orders are based on a specific law or precedent that allows the president to give the EO to begin with. Obama was very clear that this does not exist for him and that his action is illegal - in his own words. For example, Reagan's EO was based on a specific law that allowed for his specific EO.
Exactly ...

Reagan and Bush 41 provide no precedent for Obama’s amnesty by executive order | Power Line

Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Heavy presence of Greeks ??? - they represent less than 1 percent of who immigrated to the US.

I guess I have to ask you, are we a nation of illegal immigrants or legal ones...cause it seems some folks don't seem to know the difference, including the President.
Thank you for pointing that out. You are correct...people don't seem to distinguish between legal and illegal. Certainly that line is being blurred by the administration.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And there's the rub. Obama said he wouldn't even consider a bill without a pathway to citizenship. The House already said if that pathway to citizenship was removed, it would be an easy sell. So who should do the compromising here?
And thats where they discuss and work on it.

Honestly though, saying you're going to break up families is not going to fly. Saying you can stay here forever as a second class citizen isn't really an option. So putting them at the back of the immigration line seems reasonable to me. Give Republicans their fence.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:30 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Honestly though, saying you're going to break up families is not going to fly. Saying you can stay here forever as a second class citizen isn't really an option. So putting them at the back of the immigration line seems reasonable to me. Give Republicans their fence.
Don't break the families up - deport the entire gaggle. Easy-peasy.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

That's your opinion. I disagree with continuing to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Personally, I think the ultimate fix will require a change in the birthright citizenship issue. I've always thought the litmus test should be if at least one parent is a citizen. That would do it but since changing that means an amendment to the Constitution, it's unlikely to happen. I, of course, understand the rationale for the 14th Amendment back when it was passed but much like the Prohibition Amendment, it's no longer good for the country. Until then, we're looking at more amnesty bills that do precisely nothing to solve the illegal immigration problem in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies