Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is sad, when you have to deprogram your kid at the dinner table, for crap programmed into their heads during the day, by other adults with good intentions but fall very short in execution.

They can't even control their kid and they are telling your kid some crap, or you how to raise yours.
Bent....you're making too much sense here, lol
Then again I love it

I totally concur with the entire original post, too.
Bad parenting is the root of the downfall of this society.
It's disturbing to see how many single parents are out there seeking to hook up & act like teens again,
rather than stay home with the kids & do their jobs as parents properly.
Messed up culture.

Old 12-03-2014, 02:25 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Some peoples dogs, mind them better than their kids.
Makes you wonder if dog training works for kids too.
Dogs also never have a brain capacity higher than a toddler either. So not really a good comparison once a child begins to move beyond the toddler stage.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
The root of all evils in the USA today.

Teaching right from wrong at an early age, along with staying on top of them as they learn everyday, on the way to adulthood.

In every conclusion: Good or bad, Parenting has been the driver for the outcome of the soon to be adults(if they make it that far, in the cases of bad)

From the doctors that sacrifice themselves to go treat Ebola patients, to the jobless thugs that prey on the weak in society. It all starts with the parents, which direction the kids life will take.
I agree with this but what forces are acting on parents? In other words, is bad parenting a genetic predisposition or does society play a role in the way it treats different groups of people, which in turn impact parenting when these groups of people produce children.

In the animal kingdom, all the offspring has to do to learn how to survive is to emulate the actions and behaviors of its parents, for those things that are not instinctive. If the adult animals habitat has been manipulated to the degree that the adults struggle to survive, then the adults cannot teach the offspring how to survive. Socialization and acculturation manifest naturally via emulation. If the parent does not have the survival skills to flourish, it cannot demonstrate to the offspring.

Current poverty is the greatest predictor of future poverty. Current wealth is the greatest predictor of future wealth. The poor tend to be the offspring of the poor, the middle class tend to be the offspring of the middle class and the rich tend to be the offspring of the rich. Its not hardly a caste system poor people can and do become middle class or rich and rich people can lose it all and become poor. However, each class tend to reproduce itself via socialization and acculturation via emulation. The poor demonstrate how to be poor and the young pick up the values and socialization. Each strata demonstrates reproducing the strata.

That said, parenting is very important but parenting is greatly influenced by other factors.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I agree with this but what forces are acting on parents? In other words, is bad parenting a genetic predisposition or does society play a role in the way it treats different groups of people, which in turn impact parenting when these groups of people produce children.

In the animal kingdom, all the offspring has to do to learn how to survive is to emulate the actions and behaviors of its parents, for those things that are not instinctive. If the adult animals habitat has been manipulated to the degree that the adults struggle to survive, then the adults cannot teach the offspring how to survive. Socialization and acculturation manifest naturally via emulation. If the parent does not have the survival skills to flourish, it cannot demonstrate to the offspring.

Current poverty is the greatest predictor of future poverty. Current wealth is the greatest predictor of future wealth. The poor tend to be the offspring of the poor, the middle class tend to be the offspring of the middle class and the rich tend to be the offspring of the rich. Its not hardly a caste system poor people can and do become middle class or rich and rich people can lose it all and become poor. However, each class tend to reproduce itself via socialization and acculturation via emulation. The poor demonstrate how to be poor and the young pick up the values and socialization. Each strata demonstrates reproducing the strata.

That said, parenting is very important but parenting is greatly influenced by other factors.
Good post. Every person has habits and attitudes that shape who they become, and that usually comes from the people you're surrounded by. Parents should raise their kids peacefully and lovingly, but guide them toward good habits and good people. If the parents don't develop successful characteristics, the kids will likely end up the same unless they happen to find friends or other influences that shape them into something else.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Bent....you're making too much sense here, lol
Then again I love it

I totally concur with the entire original post, too.
Bad parenting is the root of the downfall of this society.
It's disturbing to see how many single parents are out there seeking to hook up & act like teens again,
rather than stay home with the kids & do their jobs as parents properly.
Messed up culture.
That is just not true. Yes parents are essential in guiding their kids but they can only do so much. I've always believed we were born predetermined. Parents can't control their kids brain. Are you are saying that every rapist, child molester, murderers and whatever.....are the parents fault.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That is just not true. Yes parents are essential in guiding their kids but they can only do so much. I've always believed we were born predetermined. Parents can't control their kids brain. Are you are saying that every rapist, child molester, murderers and whatever.....are the parents fault.

A lot of truth, in certain post. However I would have to concur with you on this. A rapist, a child molester, murderers, robbers, gang bangers, are not the fault of the parents in most situations, where the child, had good morals and guidance and love by the parents. And a good up bringing as did his or her siblings but somehow this one child, had to be different.

But as we know, there are parents who should not be parents PERIOD. And I know some of them who should not be. There so busy being friends with their children, and spoiling them rotten, and wanting a popular child. They do not guide there children, and teach them good values. For gosh sakes some do not teach right from wrong. If a child is not going to respect there parent, they sure as hell ain't going to respect anyone else.

And too many children today growing up without a Father influence, which I happen to think is important. Running a muck, without any guidance, or have learned right from wrong. Or a Parent who seems to make excuses for their children, when they have found out that they have done wrong. And never teaching them the consequences, for bad decisions and choices they have made. I do believe that parental guidance and nurture and sometimes tough love is needed.

Last edited by california-jewel; 12-04-2014 at 02:02 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Dogs also never have a brain capacity higher than a toddler either. So not really a good comparison once a child begins to move beyond the toddler stage.

Like a pup, you better get on it at an early age, or you are going to have a stupid dog to deal with.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you are saying that every rapist, child molester, murderers and whatever.....are the parents fault.

I didn't say that exactly like that, you did.... but that pretty much sums it up.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Like a pup, you better get on it at an early age, or you are going to have a stupid dog to deal with.
And yet, like a pup, you can do everything right and the dog still turn out bad. Parenting is very important, but the most important part of good parenting is to teach the child to take responsibility of their own actions when they are an adult.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And yet, like a pup, you can do everything right and the dog still turn out bad. Parenting is very important, but the most important part of good parenting is to teach the child to take responsibility of their own actions when they are an adult.

Says who? You?

Never had that happen and I have had plenty of dogs. I have 3 now, that know what I'm thinking before I say it. One of which I didn't raise. My dad did and now after two years with us, he is getting with the program.

Responsibility is great and taught by, the punishment for a bad choice.
My teaching is to think long and hard before you act, as your choice may be the difference in great reward, or getting your ass beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies