Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 05:30 PM

30,078 posts, read 18,689,772 times

Advertisements

Social and economic mobility in America is no better than the serf system of the US, so says a liberal professor:

UC Davis Economics Professor: There Is No American Dream « CBS Sacramento

I laugh my as* off when I hear this liberal defeatists (who actually support the submission of the lower classes and the concept of enlightened liberal elite rulers) rhetoric.

Such contentions, of course, are total BS. Beyond incidental events, the norm in the US seems to be elevation to a social and economic status beyond that of your parents. Beyond the advent of liberalism, this HAS BEEN the norm in US society.

Liberalism attempts to keep a large componant of society dependent and reliant upon the government, thus securing the power of a few elites in the federal government over the masses. Liberalism, of course, is akin to totalitarianism and opposes social and economic movement. The more poor/dependent citizens, the more democrat voters are created. Thus the goals of liberalism is to create more dependent citizens.

My father ran a paint store and my mother was a secretary. My brother, sister, and I are very well to do physicians ( No one in our family, since they arrived in American in 1632, had ever gone to college). My younger brother is a concert violinist. My older brother and I are millionaires many times over.

The notion that you cannot rise in US society is complete BS. If you have accepted the notion that there is no social/economic mobility, then you are already defeated and might as well give up.

I live a life that I never dreamed of when I was a poor, rug rat kid. I own a good deal of property and can buy whatever the hell I want, all due to the mobility offered in the US. Had I been born somewhere else, I would probably still be a bum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 05:39 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
While I sort of agree with you, is a society with a large population dependent upon government welfare capable of being socially mobile?

I think this guy is correct in saying social mobility is poor, but the issue is that his solution (welfare and such) contributes to that. Obviously that oversimplified, but still. The fewer people on welfare, the better off we all are.

I'd argue we have quite a lot in common with a feudal state. Serfs were more or less welfare dependent on whoever their land lord was. What's the difference?

And yes, obviously some work their way up. I know plenty of people who started with very little and worked their way into a lovely life. There is more social mobility now than in the middle ages, but there are striking similarities. I also think I should add that I'm not entirely against welfare. I know plenty of people who were on welfare for only a short time to get back on their feet, which is it's intended purpose. Some rely to heavily on it though, and that's the issue that needs addressing.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,185 times
Remember, this guy started with the conclusion he wanted to arrive at and just filled in blanks as he went along.

I noticed that he mentioned a 'caveat' and that being that it's true for some and not others.

Or, in other words, he made headlines, but then offered nothing of substance.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,394,707 times
Ahh yes social mobility. The guys correct. the 1970's was the last time kids were almost guaranteed to be doing better then their parents. The times have changed.

median incomes have flatlined for the most part since mid 1970s.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Mobility in America the same as the Middle Ages

I grew up lower working class, not in culture but in money terms. Now I am doing very well despite these liberals. Yes, according to liberals, it's just a dream. WRONG!

It took awhile with hard work. I know you liberals hate that (work word) but I did it.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:13 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahh yes social mobility. The guys correct. the 1970's was the last time kids were almost guaranteed to be doing better then their parents. The times have changed.

It coincides precisely with government interference in the economy and excessive regulation.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Government only hinders your potential for prosperity. If you expect government to legislate your prosperity you are your own worst enemy.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,033,054 times
I suspect this is where I should remind people that the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data".

Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I live a life that I never dreamed of when I was a poor, rug rat kid. I own a good deal of property and can buy whatever the hell I want, all due to the mobility offered in the US. Had I been born somewhere else, I would probably still be a bum.
Life it good

Old 11-28-2014, 06:19 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Social and economic mobility in America is no better than the serf system of the US, so says a liberal professor:

UC Davis Economics Professor: There Is No American Dream « CBS Sacramento

I laugh my as* off when I hear this liberal defeatists (who actually support the submission of the lower classes and the concept of enlightened liberal elite rulers) rhetoric.

Such contentions, of course, are total BS. Beyond incidental events, the norm in the US seems to be elevation to a social and economic status beyond that of your parents. Beyond the advent of liberalism, this HAS BEEN the norm in US society.

Liberalism attempts to keep a large componant of society dependent and reliant upon the government, thus securing the power of a few elites in the federal government over the masses. Liberalism, of course, is akin to totalitarianism and opposes social and economic movement. The more poor/dependent citizens, the more democrat voters are created. Thus the goals of liberalism is to create more dependent citizens.

My father ran a paint store and my mother was a secretary. My brother, sister, and I are very well to do physicians ( No one in our family, since they arrived in American in 1632, had ever gone to college). My younger brother is a concert violinist. My older brother and I are millionaires many times over.

The notion that you cannot rise in US society is complete BS. If you have accepted the notion that there is no social/economic mobility, then you are already defeated and might as well give up.

That was then, and that was you. Circumstances differ from generation to generation, family to family, and region to region. Nothing is ever static and everything always changes.

The only thing that keeps the American Dream going is regulation. Regulation ended serfdom in Europe, and lack of regulation has allowed serfdom to fester here. if you were 20 right now, your story would probably be much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies